Hellripper
Black Arts and Alchemy

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (58 Reviews)
April 11th, 2019 | 31 replies

Release Date: 04/05/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Am I in riff paradise?

James McBain has come a very long way in only three years. Sitting in his room during a long cold winter in 2015, he released Hellripper's first album out in the world under the title of The Manifestation of Evil. It was a blunt surge of black'n'roll at thrash speed with decent production and remarkable execution. In the same fashion, he probably ruined another Christmas family reunion in 2016 while preparing for a split with Fetid Zombie and a compilation of his best hits under the name of Complete and Total Fucking Mayhem. Hellripper's first full-length came soon after. Coagulating Darkness was ready and up just a few days into the new year, following the winter tradition of previous releases. 2018 saw McBain releasing a couple of splits with bands like Barbatos and Nightrider, but apart from that, not much Hellripper activity was detected. It was the kind of calm that would make you think something really tasty was brewing at his base in Aberdeen (Scotland).

Come spring of 2019 and here's the answer to that unprecedented silence: four brand new blackened thrash tunes that are among the best material McBain has ever recorded. Honestly, I was fooled when I first blasted them. I was puzzled, trying to figure out where the hell did this band come from or who were them. My surprise was monumental when I learned that this is, or at least it used to be, a bedroom project. But make no mistake, Black Arts and Alchemy has better production, artwork and songwriting than many high-profile bands of the same fold. "All Hail the Goat" opens Hellripper's latest work like a locomotive about to derail. Remnants of frenzy NWOBHM blend with black metal shrieks in "Decrepit Christ" showing that this is a quick, non-stop ride to heavy metal purgatory. McBain displays some serious pick juggling in the gothic-tinged title track as soul-stirring solos overflow on its way to the closing track and ultimate banger, "Headless Angels" (high pitch scream included).

It seems that this is only the beginning for McBain's project, as Hellripper is a fully fleshed out live act now, taking on Roadburn Festival as I type all this nonsense. If the future of Hellripper is going to be written with such haste and vigor, sing me up for the ride. One-way ticket, please!

Mizmor CairnFire! Orchestra Arrival
Full of Hell Weeping Choirオオハシ (Ohashi) 波のはじまり (Nami no Hajimari)
Secret Chiefs 3 Book MIoanna Gika Thalassa

April 11th 2019

Tried the shorter format, but probably didn't go very well.

Anyway, this is ballstothewall-core to the max.

Jam here: https://hellripper.bandcamp.com/ and support this young man's quest to stardom.

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence

manosg
April 11th 2019

This guy is a great student of metal. Coagulating Darkness was great, so will check this one in due time.

Digging: Cellar Darling - The Spell

April 11th 2019

I was unaware of this project so I was thoroughly impressed manosg. More so when I jammed his older stuff.

Voivod
April 11th 2019

Great review, Hellripper is the best new black/thrash outfit by far.

Digging: Dead Shed Jokers - All The Seasons

April 11th 2019

Thanks Voivod! I actually managed to get the whole discography wrong so had to edit here and there. Hope is more accurate now.

garas

2091 Comments

Awesome review for an awesome EP. Love it!

April 11th 2019

Cheers Garas, indeed, short and sweet.

Papa Universe

black POS and alchemy

Don't know if I'll enjoy black thrash, but you do know how to sell an album.

12025 Comments

On target review, great job

Album rules, the t/t track is a banger

Digging: Mortiferum - Disgorged From Psychotic Depths

south_of_heaven 11
April 11th 2019

These guys and Bewitcher are the best new black/thrash bands out there

12025 Comments

Damn I'm jamming Coagulating Darkness, not the new EP.

April 11th 2019

Tx Paps, the album sells itself though, dat cover!

And lol Notrap, seems u finally jammed this one too then?

12025 Comments

Hahah yeah and my early comments about your review are still valid.

Great job.

I prefer Coagulating Darkness but the EP is also quite solid

Hawks
April 11th 2019

Love the last album so I’m def getting on this one today.

Panzerchrist
April 11th 2019

Awesome album and an awesome review. Can't wait to get my album art t-shirt in the mail

Digging: Weeping Sores - False Confession

DungeonBoy

McBAAAIIIINNNN! Up and at them

Good review dude, digging the riffs/vocals/production on this. Linear notes indicate mastered by none other than TH's Joel Grind m/

Digging: Weeping Sores - False Confession

riffs ov yore

Digging: Death Toll 80k - Step Down

SpeachImpediment
April 11th 2019

This is so good, holy shit