Waste of Space Orchestra
Syntheosis

by Xenophanes STAFF
April 9th, 2019 | 80 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Blackened-doom progressive psychedelic space rock--hey wait, come back!

With a name like Waste of Space Orchestra and a string of descriptors like “blackened-doom progressive psychedelic space rock,” you’d be forgiven for already hating this. But hear me out. Featuring all of Finnish black metal wizard Oranssi Pazuzu and their drone counterparts, Dark Buddha Rising, Syntheosis is a sum of its parts; an unwieldy pedigree from metal’s weirdest recesses. I’m not going to pretend that this isn’t an indulgent side-piece--it is. But Waste of Space Orchestra have elevated their debut above the masturbatory ego-trip that it could have become.

What began as a one-off live performance commissioned by Roadburn Festival in 2018 has grown into one of metal’s most original experiments of the year. Their beginnings have lent to an improvisational feeling, where unexpected laser zaps crash into expected black metal; where space-rock cadences bounce upon on a bed of drone. Born from 10 musicians who themselves were already so excessive the album is full of droning interludes, wobbly synths, and theremin (maybe" I don’t know.) It’s like a phoned in 80s spin-off film called Oranssi Pazuzu in Space. As eye-roll inducing as it sounds Syntheosis takes all of this and whips it into a long form psychedelic suite. As a cohesive experience the band does its best to recycle riffs and themes, but throughout the album’s 65-minute runtime its difficult to keep any of that straight. The album moves between hypnotic tribalistic rhythms of drone and electronics, to blackened fury with waterfalls of gnashing guitar and berating percussion. It’s just a weird and beautiful beast.

Syntheosis is a wealth of surprises. For those averse to indulgent names, absurd genre bending, and anything “progressive,” the album may come as a revelation.

Inter Arma Sulphur EnglishVous Autres Champ du Sang
Vanum Ageless FireKrallice Wolf
Chapel of Disease ...And As We Have Seen The StormSigh Heir to Despair
PsychicChris (4.5)
A masterful work of avant-garde metal...

zaruyache
April 8th 2019

20663 Comments

ye

Lythelus

masterpiece

Ponton
April 9th 2019

xeno, this sounds pretty rad and up my alley, ill have to definitely check

Digging: Grizzly Bear - Shields

Faraudo

Quite unique.

Digging: Numenorean - Adore

CugnoBrasso
April 9th 2019

Oranssi Pazuzu's debut is a great album, I'll give this record a try.

Elynna

Album rules. RULES.

Digging: Furia - Ksiezyc milczy luty

Scheumke
April 9th 2019

It's so weird and silly that Roadburn is such a famous festival all over the globe and is literally in my hometown and basically in my back yard, yet I've never attended.

Great review Xeno, jamming it now!

Digging: Glen Hansard - This Wild Willing

Mardorien
April 9th 2019

I'm so confused as to what this is just from one track (the free one before I buy it).

I think I might like this a lot...

SitarHero

Lol! Great summary.

Wildcardbitchesss
April 9th 2019

Commenting here so I don’t forget about this album later

Dylan620
April 9th 2019

With ... a string of descriptors like “blackened-doom progressive psychedelic space rock,” you’d be forgiven for already hating this.

Say again? That sounds sick (or at least interesting) to me, will check

Digging: The Wrens - The Meadowlands

Toondude10

this sounds amazing

Digging: Devin Townsend - Empath

alamo
April 9th 2019

does this sound anything like todd's space opera from bojack horseman

Toondude10
April 9th 2019

vocals are going to take some time getting used to but I like what I'm hearing

Azog

Rules!!!

Asdfp277

20016 Comments

is this like ne obliviscaris or hail spirit noir

sharkmsc
April 10th 2019

The clean vocals from what I heard, wake up the possessor, were fairly pitchy and will require some adjustment. That being said, the harsh vocals, musicianship and videography were all captivating. Count me in.

keza

Love that tagline

keza
April 10th 2019

OK also upon first listen this thing is pretty cool and despondent but the vocals sound like a guy trying to do a fake burp

Scheumke
April 10th 2019

"is this like ne obliviscaris or hail spirit noir"

Neither really, though def. closer to Hail Spirit Noir.