Vous Autres
Champ du Sang

by Xenophanes STAFF
April 9th, 2019 | 5 replies

Release Date: 03/01/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Champ du Sang” is a drop in a pool of “weird black metal,” but Vous Autres avoid drowning in exchange for a thoughtful experience.

Drifting between dramatic melancholy and indefinable rage, Vous Autres’ Champ du Sang is a record of two identities. Like most French black metal, it’s brazen in its weirdness and stifling in its atmosphere. Songs like “Vers ce ciel noir” sink heavily with a Deathspell-esque flavor while others, like “Pauvre animal, simple patin,” writhe like something from middle-late era Blut aus Nord. But for every scalding moment there’s one of levity; post-black melodies and soothing ambience bridge the gaps between the commanding plod of grisly black metal violence. “Sans lendemein” begins with a Fange or Altarage flair but spirals down to an unsettling murmur, just as affecting but less pronounced.

“Weird” Black Metal is difficult to find. The genre has spread across the landscape to the point where nothing out there has yet to be bathed in its shadow. But Champ du Sang is delightful in its reverence for France’s best (there’s even a bit of Gojira in there.)The band’s execution is well trodden, but in the best ways. Vous Autres know how to spin a good blackened record with all the grime and drama attached, borrowing enough and wildly imagining the rest.

Feminazgul No Dawn for MenBlood Incantation Hidden History of the Human Race
Jonsi and Alex Lost and FoundWeeping Sores False Confession
Boris Love and EvolYellow Eyes Rare Field Ceiling

TheSpirit
April 9th 2019

Nice review, I may have to check this out. I'm not a huge fan of DsO/BAN imitation, but that sound mixed with post-bm melodies sounds very interesting. Not sure I agree that "weird" black metal is difficult to find, but I do agree that the genre has kind of cornered the music world as far as incorporating and/or forcing its influence on other genres.

Digging: Malfet - The Glimmering

Hawks
April 11th 2019

Guess I gotta jam this. m/

Nocte
May 18th 2019

11926 Comments

Loving this, kinda sad I missed this review drop

TheSpirit
June 14th 2019

I finally checked this out and I love it.

suppatime
July 23rd 2019

this is a cool ass record with a good mix of sounds. v good for this rainy day i'm experiencing too.