Nightrage

3.3

by Simon STAFF
March 31st, 2019 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Despite its fundamental flaws, Wolf to Man still manages to be a worthwhile album.

Wolf to Man is an excellent example of an album trying to do too much, too fast. On the one hand you have a foray of melodious Iron Maiden-esque solos that pull you into their serenade every time they take to the front of the stage; on the other you have said solos struggling like hell to get out of the cacophonous cluster the rest of the music presents. Making a consistent mood here would be impossible – the long buffet table of styles has no semblance of order, hearing all these ideas mushed together into one blaring racket. The biggest crux is most certainly its bizarre production choices. There’s no breathing room for anything on here, and while the guitar solos are the saving grace of Wolf to Man they don’t quite sit right in the mix over the chaotic explosions around them. “The Damned,” for example, is a jarring mesh of melodic death metal, post-hardcore and thrash being ground to bits with the same kind of subtlety, elegance and grace a shotgun blast to the ear would have. It’s not that the song is dull or bad either – far from it – it's that it comes across as a blind dive into everything at dizzying breakneck speeds without actually sitting back to assess if a little restraint could be had – or a few ideas reined in for certain things to deliver in more effective ways.

Sometimes Nightrage taps into something fantastic – certainly on a track like “Desensitized” with its opening verse of hardcore-tinged vocals and driving distorted bass, segueing into catchy melodic guitar passages and then finally finishing off with a couple of strong solos – but as a whole it’s quite a frustrating album because there’s so much potential to be had here. I was never bored listening to Wolf to Man, but equally, it was an overwhelming listen at times, too. The band have taken baby steps in terms of progression, but they’re irrefutably positive ones, to be sure. I can’t emphasis enough just how engaging the guitar leads are on this thing and it seems the band are fully aware of such strengths. For the most part the rest of the instruments here serve as a vehicle for vocals and the guitar duo, but when both parties do such a great job of holding your interest it’s plain to see why they went down this route. Overall, if you like melodic death metal with a twist you should get a great deal of enjoyment out of this, it’s just unfortunate that the album’s production and some of the band’s overly ambitious ideas fail to meet the record’s highlights.

FORMAT//EDITIONS: DIGITAL/̶/̶C̶D̶/̶/̶V̶I̶N̶Y̶L̶

PACKAGING: N/A

SPECIAL EDITION: N/A

ALBUM STREAM//PURCHASE: http://nightrage.tictail.com

Harry Gregson-Williams Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty OSTNONE Damp Chill of Life
Joanne Shaw Taylor Reckless HeartSaver They Came with Sunlight
HEALTH GTA: Online Arena WarThe Claypool Lennon Delirium South of Reality
3.1
good

Voivod
March 31st 2019

Glad to see Marios and Co going strong.

Digging: Forgjord - Ilmestykset

DrGonzo1937
March 31st 2019

It’s decent man. Production is pretty bad imo though

March 31st 2019

Don't know these guys, I'll check

Digging: Al Goregrind - The Temple Is Burning

DrGonzo1937
March 31st 2019

you'll def dig this i think trap

InFlamesWeThrash666

“Desensitized" sounds like old In Flames

Me likes

Digging: Numenorean - Adore

Noted Dr.

Will def check

Ponton
March 31st 2019

i remember enjoying this bands early albums. Still going, wow

Digging: Grizzly Bear - Shields

Jamming now, the vocals remind me of At the Gates

InFlamesWeThrash666
March 31st 2019

fun fact: At The Gates vocalist did the vocals for the first two Nightrage albums

March 31st 2019

ha ok, the copy paste makes perfect sense now

alamo

ohhhhhhh hype
singles sound really great cant wait to check the whole thing

Hellscythe
April 1st 2019

where'd this come from? and their last album for that matter?

I didn't know these guys had released anything since The Puritan. it's like I just stopped hearing about them completely

Digging: Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

frozencarl
April 1st 2019

their last album is really good

Digging: Horrified (UK) - Allure Of The Fallen

RippingCorpse1986
April 1st 2019

I remember digging this band's previous album for a while. Nothing life-changing by any means, but still a solid slab of riff-driven, rocking melodic death metal. That album also has one of my favorite artworks of 2017.

Can't say I expect much from this, but will definitely jam it these days. Nice write-up as always.

Dewinged
April 1st 2019

"you have a foray of melodious Iron Maiden-esque solos..." Stop right there, I'm in.

Digging: Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits

April 2nd 2019

yeah these guys make some fun jams

Digging: Mekong Delta - Kaleidoscope

DungeonBoy
April 3rd 2019

Good review, this is a claustrophobic mess

Makes me want to jam the Tremor:

Digging: Inculter - Fatal Visions

cvlts
April 5th 2019

definitely feelin some old-school slayer vibes with that album artwork

April 5th 2019

Good jam, nothing outstanding but the songs are all cool

Raz0rGrind23
April 17th 2019

Always dug these guys, even after Tompa departed from the group. Guitar work on this is a lot of fun. Gonna have to check this out.