Nilufer Yanya
Miss Universe

by neekafat CONTRIBUTOR (58 Reviews)
March 29th, 2019 | 43 replies

Release Date: 03/22/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: primed to bloom (more than she already has)

It’s a tried and true reality that the debut album might be your one chance to define yourself as an artist. It’s no wonder why these days most indie artists take their time before putting out their “album,” with many taking the same route that Nilufer Yanya has, dropping various singles and EPs first in order to master a sound before leaping forward into the fray. Curiously, her previous studio sound was cemented in r&b and pop, while during live sets she put on a far folkier aesthetic in comparison. While this release may be dappled with splashes of each of these genres, Miss Universe is decidedly an all-frills rock album burning with creativity. While the tunes are structurally straightforward, they often dance in noises both dreamy and jagged and is filled to the brim with turns and sonic tricks up its sleeve. From a smarmy saxophone in “Melt” to the warbling electronics of “Safety Net,” we’re always left guessing which secret passage is looming around the corner.

That’s not to say that this album is divided at all from her pop history, as Yanya more often than not picks the more obvious melodic path, but almost never in a way that impedes the song. Rather, she finds herself playing on the edge of both pop and weirdness. Her voice embraces this mission as well, being a constant wildcard of accessible quirkiness, cranking her British accent up to 11 all while emphasizing every line with a stubborn, admirable charisma. More often than not you’ll find her toying with sounds incongruous yet delightful, all while confidently keeping her feet planted in the trusty safespace of pop-rock. In fact, it’s such a determined and adventurous exploration of both pop and rock music that calling it “pop-rock” feels more like a disservice than anything.

However, this is no masterpiece. All the tracks here are great, each having the marks of quality and craftsmanship, but none stand out as “the one” you’ll find yourself coming back to time and time again, as close as some may come. Certain songs meld together too easily, getting lost in the murk of the album’s length; others jitter about so wildly all while still hitting the pop formula so cleanly that they’re caught in an unfortunate uncanny valley. It’s important to remember that despite its length and sonic variety, it’s a deceptively simple album; it’s just trying to have a good time, and it wants you to have a good time with it too. And to be clear, no one is expecting anything more at this point in her career. Yanya has bounded onto the scene as an exciting artist with a fun, defining debut album. And at 22 years old, she has all the time in the world to show us what she’s got in store for us.

Common Holly When I say to you Black LightningThe Curls Bounce House
Mariee Sioux Grief in ExileCage The Elephant Social Cues
Glen Hansard This Wild WillingSolange When I Get Home

March 29th 2019

this is just a plain treat of an album

"Baby Blu": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF3Hvn8Wl-g

March 29th 2019

Bullion does an amazing remix of one of this chicks tracks which makes me want to like her

Digging: Lapalux - Amnioverse

Papa Universe

PAPA universe

MarsKid
March 29th 2019

"While the tunes are structurally straightforward,they often dances in noises..."

Gotta add that space after the comma, and dance is probably singular here

Other than that, nice little write-up here. Not sure it sounds like my cup of tea, but your writing is always appreciated.

Papa Universe
March 29th 2019

Look who suddenly feels the contributorship need for editorial.

MarsKid

ouch

Thanks Mars! I wish I was better at proofing my own stuff ):

Bloon

Nice review

Digging: Jeff Rosenstock - Thanks, Sorry!

thanks bud c:

i dig it

March 29th 2019

here is the remix i was talking about btw;

so fucking good

Slex
March 30th 2019

Neek yr a great writer and it's a treat to see a review from you is up, pos

I liked some of what I heard here and was bored by some of it as well, gotta add it to my massive backlog

Digging: Liturgy - H.A.Q.Q.

March 30th 2019

awesome pots! I've actually heard that one, it was off her Small Crimes EP too if you wanted to check that one out (:

Thanks so much Slex!! Interested to hear what you'll think!

March 30th 2019

Yeah the rest of that ep didnt do much for me which was why I was still in the "wanting to like her" space until I heard this one

anatelier
March 30th 2019

tbh i could do without the black mirror skits but there are some choice tunes here

theBoneyKing
March 30th 2019

Seen some good things about this, would I dig? Great review btw.

Digging: Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Ya you probably would

That's fair potsy!

And yeah Boney you should try it! Thanks (:

Tchitcherine
March 30th 2019

I'm just listening to this the fourth time in a row and I still can't remember a single song, but somehow love it

NorthernSkylark
April 4th 2019

this is pretty sweet actually

Digging: Jane Siberry - Bound By The Beauty