Angel Du$t
Pretty Buff

by KingOzma USER (3 Reviews)
March 19th, 2019 | 4 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Got a 1,2,3,4,5,right now!

Pretty Buff is the kind of album ‘Real Rock’ fans hate with a passion. While their previous albums were, in their own words ‘a mix between Lemonheads and Bad Brains’ (both respectable influences), Pretty Buff sounds like Busted. Or if they wanted a more credible reference it sounds like a hookier Descendents. The songs on this album don’t deal with lofty issues, they’re all about hanging out with your friends or your fav gal, being in your feelings and having a good time. A lot like what the early Ramones sang about, ya know, the famous punk band who are revered among surface level rock fans as one of the greatest bands of all time. The kind of rock fans who get annoyed that you can buy Ramones tops in Primark when really that’s cool because it means you can rep the band easier.

An issue with a lot of rock music nowadays is the fact it takes itself way too seriously, with fans revering ***ty bands that either beat you over the head with half-baked political drivel while ripping off better sounds from the past or feeling sorry for yourself because you had a ketamine addiction one time but it’s ok because you added a breakbeat or two to your new album so it's actually totally different and deserves 5K’s from Kerrang Magazine. Or literally just being Led Zeppelin, I hear that’s popular now. It’s dull is what it is, I don’t relate. Gimme Busted any day of the week, or better yet gimme Angel Du$t.

Pretty Buff is an album that legitimately doesn't care what you think, if it wants to smash out pure pop hooks one after the other it’ll do it, if it wants to add in a gnarly saxophone solo like at the end of ‘Bang My Drum’ it’ll do it and if it wants to suddenly drop into a waltz to close out its tracks like ‘Want It All’ it’ll do it. By fully immersing itself in established cheesy pop tropes, Pretty Buff treads a very fine line between being absolutely perfect and completely unlistenable but that’s what makes it great. It’s amazing that what’s basically a 30 minute pop album can sound this brave in comparison to all the piss and bollocks that makes up the majority of the mainstream rock sphere. Similar to Turnstile (who share members with Angel Du$t), no influence is off limits for them, like what punk/rock should be like. Like the Ramones! Or The Beatles! Like every good rock band ever basically. Long live Angel Du$t.

BlushfulHippocrene
March 19th 2019

Yesss, dude.

Digging: Angel Du$t - Pretty Buff

accompliceofmydeath
March 20th 2019

Nice review. I'm kinda glad they dropped any remnants of hardcore they had on previous albums. They work much better as a pop band. I haven't heard of Busted, so I'll have to check them out. I thought this sounded like Buzzcocks on first listen.

Digging: After the Burial - Forging a Future Self

KingOzma
March 20th 2019

Busted are a pop band from England, proper cheesey ya know, that good shit

botb
March 20th 2019

Never liked this band, good review