Songs: Ohia
Axxess and Ace

by Frank - the rater of 3.5 USER (10 Reviews)
March 15th, 2019 | 14 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A study in how to write the perfect alt-country album

Introduction
“This album rules” (linguist2011, 2018). “Album’s dope” (DePlazz, 2018) are both examples of praise for other albums that are equally true for this Axxess & Ace. The experienced musical listener Sniff, (ongoing) have said this about Songs Ohia: - Axxess & Ace “this album owns”. Sniff, (ongoing) further argues that although his knowledge about alt-country is limited his extensive experience of music listening really speaks volumes about the 5/5 rating given by him. A 5 so powerful that it is given twice actually (don’t believe me? Check the ratings for this album).

Clark (1999) has likened Axxess & Ace to another classic alt-country album, I See a Darkness by Will Oldham (insert an Oldham alias of your choosing here). Objectively, a very apt comparison (Some dude once said (The Lonely Island)). Axxess & Ace was probably the last album before Jason Molinas descent into becoming a town drunk (Osmon, 2017)*. But on display across Axxess & Ace is another more vulnerable side of Molina. When put into the context of his recent marriage with Darcie Schoenman (anon n.d.) the emotion displayed in the songs on Axxess & Ace grow even stronger.

The aim of this joke review is to have a place to discuss the album.

Material and Method
Album: Songs Ohia: - Axxess and Ace.
Gear: Sennheiser HD-25II
Method: The author of this review listened to this album multiple times to from his opinion on the album expressed in this review.

Result
5/5

Discussion
Sniff (ongoing) has identified some career highlights from Songs: Ohia on this album. After gathering and studying all available knowledge on Songs: Ohia songs, the author of this review argues that the songs Love Leaves its Abusers, Redhead and Goodnight Lover are all career highlights for Songs: Ohia.
Some people wrongly argue that Axxess & Ace isn’t the best Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric album, namely theBoneyKing (2017). Sputnikmusic user DoofusWainwright (2017) would probably agree with that too. But don’t let those opinions discourage you, you have the authors blessing to 5 this.

Conclusion
Maybe Hawks (ongoing) can’t refer to this album in his patented way “m/ bro”, but honestly. Does that even matter when you have the best alt-country album ever at your hands?

*Disclaimer. The Osmon citation might not be accurate.

P.S. Bump your 5’s

Reference list:
Anon. n.d. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Molina
Clark T. M. 1999. Songs Ohia: Axxess and Ace. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7339-axxess-and-ace/
DePlazz. 2018. Comment accessed on https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/78082/Voivod-The-Wake/
DoofuWainwright. 2017. You old. https://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=62350&page=3#comments
Hawks. Beginning of time to the end of time. Comments accessed on www.sputnikmusic.com
linguist2011. 2018. Comment accessed on https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/78082/Voivod-The-Wake/
Osmon. E. 2017. Jason Molina: Riding with the Ghost. Rowman Littlefield Publishers. ISBN: 9781442268678
Sniff. 2010-???. Good reviewer and good user at www.sputnikmusic.com
theBoneyKing. 2017. String of wrongful comments. https://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=62350&page=3#comments
The Lonely Island. 2009. Dreamgirl.