Pedigree
New Freak

Release Date: 03/08/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A millionaire at a dollar menu.

Let me tell you about this little blast of energy. It comes from a musical bunch settled in Belgium and its style can be summed up as a vicious slap of rock’n’roll everything bagel. The little fucker keeps on delivering some tasty heaviness in a mostly lo-fi production, but exchanges its influences seamlessly, from straightforward punk, post-punk, to psychedelic riffing, while managing not to sound disjointed and inconsistent. It’s the band’s debut, but they’ve already found a bloody damn great direction to delve into: quick, witty and riff-rich hard-hitting bangers one after another. But that formula has the unfortunate potential of wearing itself thin sooner or later, even though the album is rather short, some frail listeners might be turned off by the relentlessness of the fun-loving Pedigree and deem the album (wrongly, might I say) as samey or even repetitive. Even I admit that my head was slightly spinning from the lead-guitar’s constant wavy melodies. And I also do wish that the frontman explored more shouting or voice-cracking delivery styles to give the music some more emotional baggage. However, whether you come to the conclusion that this is indeed samey depends entirely on how much you appreciate records, whose sole purpose is to deliver ffffffffuuuuunnnnn tunes for your repeated entertainment. I’m trying to say that this 10-song-splash of punky joy is not exactly the philosophical or lyrical milestone. It is merely almost a half hour long blood-pumping, boot-thumping, adrenaline-rushing, riff-juicing, drum-clattering, influences-seamlessly-incorporating, show-stopping, bright-future-having, grand-potential-carrying hodgepodge of punk nectar.
It’s like the vast variety of punk’n’rock dollar menus, but you can actually afford anything, so you take a bite out of every option.