Panopticon
The Crescendo of Dusk

by Zach USER (105 Reviews)
March 10th, 2019 | 15 replies

Release Date: 01/26/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Writing the words I do not have.

I don't even know how to start writing anymore. There's no preplanned concoction of thoughts swirling about my head, no structure or form to take on to write a great proper review. It all makes me often wonder "why?". Why am I writing when someone can paint a picture so much more vivid, more eloquently and better in every single facet? Maybe this is a poor judgement of myself or a lack of real motivation, but I'm not exactly someone teeming with self love.

Then something like The Crescendo of Dusk comes along. It's an odd feeling listening to this ep- having so few words to say and yet feeling it compulsory to say something . It's the profound mix of immense joy and sorrow that rains down like beautiful hellfire, that feeling of purity through pain and perseverance that's compacted into 21 minutes of beautiful atmospheric black metal that creates such an urgent feeling of I need to write about this .

Austin Lunn's mastery of melodic, post-rock structured black metal where everything segways perfectly is not contestable. There is nothing jarring, no wild pitches thrown yet there is still a seamless blend of genres and sounds that merge together into a single unit. Even the transition from the epic atmoblack "The Crescendo of Dusk" into the more stripped down folk/country song "The Labryinth" is perfect. In a ways it's like the peaceful calm after the storm, even if said storm let's up itself if only to let you soak in the magnitude of its own weight.

Honestly, this ep has everything that makes Panoticon astounding. Chaotic drum fills, howls that sound like a big bearded beauty (Austin) yelling from atop a snow laden mountain and melodious guitar work that send icy shivers up your spine. Hell, the only real downside is that the runtime is meager (21 minutes), and when that is the most unfortunate aspect of your music then I think it can be safely said that something beautiful was created. And man, is this seriously ***ing beautiful. Check it.

The Secret Lux TenebrisSempiternal Dusk Cenotaph Of Defectuous Creation
Culling the Weak Culling the WeakLogistic Slaughter Corrosive Ethics
Wedrujacy Wiatr O Turniach, Jeziorach I Nocnych SzlakachObsequiae The Palms Of Sorrowed Kings

Dedes
March 10th 2019

I am not very fond of this review rn but man I had to write about this.

Mmph it's a beaut

temptationFruit
March 10th 2019

Good

Nocte
March 10th 2019

I can see the struggle you had putting these words together but I also see how close you could be to that wholesome writing feeling you’re looking for.

If you could bring even a dose of the confidence you have in that third paragraph and incorporate it into the rest even little write ups like this could glimmer.

Something to consider.

MarsKid
March 10th 2019

Agreed with Nocte. Very passionate review but it's definitely scattered and lacks confidence, talking more about said lack of confidence than the album in some parts. But it's clear this had a big impact on you and gives a glimpse into what the EP can hold

Digging: Barely Civil - I'll Figure This Out

March 10th 2019

I had actually started writing about this the other day but couldn't find the words to say exactly what I wanted. Glad someone finally got something down for it. The shortness of the review isn't really an issue given it's only 2 songs, but I do think you kind of skimp on the essence of what makes it great. It's clear that you're effected by the EP, but I don't think it's communicated as clearly as it could be. Still, not bad.

Digging: Baphomet (NY) - The Dead Shall Inherit

Eakflanderyof

6 minutes into this. Rules hard so far

March 11th 2019

fucking bump, this EP is one of my favorites of they year so far WAKE UP SPUTNIK

dedex

Segues

rips

Confessed2005
January 3rd 2020

Didn't even realise this existed. Will have to have a listen.

Nocte
January 3rd 2020

Split coming this year too if I'm not mistaken

WolF129
September 5th 2020

The Crescendo of Dusk is one of his best songs...and that alone deserves a 4 rating (mho)

September 6th 2020

Agreed hard, it’s easily one of his best songs

September 16th 2020