Haruomi Hosono
Hochono House

by anatelier USER (26 Reviews)
March 9th, 2019 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Come again soon. You're welcome any time.

Harry is an old friend of mine. He sets down a tea for me – it was ready for my arrival – and smiles with earnest. He’s framed by the accrued knick-knacks of a storied life; photographs of friends. Keepsakes and trinkets from far-flung places. Musical regalia through the ages; a thumb piano, a melodica, a tape deck, a synthesizer. It almost feels like a museum, a collating of cultures and eras – only, it’s rare for a museum to offer up more than just a snapshot of then. “That was then,” it says. “This is now.” In this place though, it’s more of a composite, with one informing the other and in turn, as perpetual as the dance between the sun and the moon.

Some 45 years ago, Harry welcomed us into Hosono House and charmed with silky, lounge-tinted folk and country rock ditties. It only ever half-hinted at the creative output that would emanate from the chap in the decades to follow, with his involvement in the synthpop-seminal Yellow Magic Orchestra and his own new-fashioned experimentation on stellar works like Philharmony and Paradise View, but in its own right demonstrated his knack for all things groovy, melodious and enduring.

And here we are now, returning to the same homely domain, with these decades of fertile ventures informing a reimagination of those ditties. Hochono House never seeks to improve upon its spiritual predecessor, nor undo it. Some of its tracks sound vastly different to their earlier counterparts; that is, until you play them back to back. There are no ghosts of a song, nothing lost in the way of soul. These are fond recollections, memories living in the same space as today. To that end, it plays very much like a layered, learned reminiscence, a summation of the man’s entire career that doesn’t wave it over the horizon so much as bundle it all together for a two-step in the twilight.

Ex-Isles Luxury MassMatt Maltese Bad Contestant
Andrew Hung RealisationshipFuture Islands The Far Field
Sandy's Fourth DementiaJames Joys and Peter Devlin Devil, Repent!
4.2

Watering a Flower

I miss my granddad

Digging: Haruomi Hosono - Hochono House

Nocte
March 9th 2019

This is a swanky, well written review. Good work

Asdfp277

19660 Comments

whos harry

he's a wizard

thanks nocte!

SandwichBubble
March 9th 2019

Tempted to listen, I still haven't checked his discography yet though. I can't just start at the end like a fool
Don't really get the review, but it's well-written

Digging: Samara Lubelski - In The Valley

March 9th 2019

this wouldn't be the worst place to start, but a lot of the context is lost if you don't listen to 1973's hosono house first. and it's worth noting that hosono house is not an awful lot like anything else of his to follow.

this might make more sense to you once you've heard both albums, it might not. i definitely was trying to capture a fairly intangible thought!

rabidfish
March 9th 2019

lovely review for lovely "Harry"... will give this a spin asap.

Digging: Haruomi Hosono - Hochono House

JohnnyoftheWell
March 9th 2019

Very wholesome review, pos pos. Checking out the original now, and the second track is calling out to me

Digging: BUCK-TICK - Atom Miraiha No.9

verdant

lovely little write up

March 10th 2019

thanks all

the second track on this (penultimate on hosono house) is definitely the best example of the reimagined sound

March 10th 2019

the other track(s) to really look out for are the sixth on either record, 'party'.

rabidfish

this is greatttt

DoofDoof
March 13th 2019

Yeah, enjoying this one a lot

And I can pos...this means another of the class of 2017 contributors has been stripped of their status :/

Digging: Jungsttter - Love Is

March 13th 2019

i was stripped a while back - was never told as much, so couldn't tell you exactly when!