Buckcherry
Warpaint

1.0
awful

by Mason Pearmain USER (58 Reviews)
March 8th, 2019 | 47 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Please cleanse my ears

Riddle me this: who asked for a new Buckcherry album in 2019?

Of all the 2000s radio rock bands that came and went over the years, Buckcherry stands in a league of their own. Not even Nickelback faded to obscurity despite their legion of detractors, unlike the band whose name is nothing more than a dyslexic take on one of the most iconic rock artists to ever exist. Bar a couple of successful singles like “Lit Up” and “Crazy Bitch”, their mark on the mainstream scene was surprisingly insignificant. They didn't inspire new blood to follow in their footsteps, nor did they have a lasting impact on rock as a whole. 15 had a few moments of potential where they branched out of the usual boundaries they relied on, but that's about as much praise as they deserve. Every release after got more and more banal. Their reach was reduced to the point that the types of baby-boomer fans that think Greta Van Fleet are the “saviors of rock n’ roll” were the only ones even bothering with Buckcherry. If they were to come back, they'd need a miracle to shoot themselves back into relevance.

News flash: they haven't changed at all. Josh Todd's voice is still as insufferable as the sound of nails on a chalkboard. The absence of guitarist Keith Nelson only made the music worse, even as he wasted his potential for years in the band. The drums? You might as well have replaced the rotating deck of drummers they had on board after Xavier Muriel's departure with a rotating deck of drum machines with how basic and tepid every facet of the rhythm section on Warpaint is. Every song here screams “bootleg AC/DC”, except instead of the angry Elmo they’ve had on vocals for years, you've got a literal nose that strains to hit the higher notes because he has little to no range. They have more structure than something like The Shaggs’ Philosophy of the World, but is that really the (low) standard you want to go by when writing a record? To its credit though, we're lucky they didn't repackage a ton of outtakes from that Spraygun War EP that Todd and Stevie D wrote a couple years ago, presumably on an extended high. The brand of sleazy cock rock that Buckcherry has been running on felt stale in 2006, and it's only gotten worse since. To make things worse, they botched a classic Nine Inch Nails song, and it still manages to be the best thing here. Really think about that.

So again, who asked for a new Buckcherry album in 2019?

Parkway Drive ReverenceAmerican Football American Football (LP3)
Holding Absence Holding AbsenceDemon Hunter Peace
In Flames I, the MaskBadflower OK, I’M SICK
1.4
very poor
[insert witty name here] (1)
Somebody rescue them....

March 7th 2019

This was a very quick write-up. Album sucks.

Digging: Attalus - Into the Sea

Lucman
March 7th 2019

If even Agent gives this a 1 do I even need to hear it to rate it the same? Imma say no.

Digging: Emily Scott Robinson - Traveling Mercies

March 7th 2019

@Luc: Yeah, i'd say avoid this garbage like the plague.

Lucman
March 7th 2019

That poor kid on the cover. Forever to be associated with Buckcherry. A living tragedy.

March 7th 2019

This is so bad that I couldn't even make it through every song in full my first time, ngl

March 7th 2019

I forced myself through a King 810 album, so i have a tolerance for terrible.

Hellscythe

this is so bad I thought you would 5 it

Slex
March 7th 2019

Gonna take yr word for it on this one

Digging: Shin Guard - 2020

@Hell: LOL
@Slex: This thing is just... ugh.

J0ckstrapsFTW
March 8th 2019

why listen to this when the new misery index dropped today

Digging: Traitors - Repent

March 8th 2019

Fuck, why listen to this when the new Holding Absence dropped and is nearly a masterpiece?

Source
March 8th 2019

only know crazy bitch and that song is really awful

March 8th 2019

yeah well "Onset" from the same album as that song is about as "good" as this band gets.

StrikeOfTheBeast

oh god

Digging: Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

StrikeOfTheBeast
March 8th 2019

this guy was never good tbh

March 8th 2019

At best these guys were average. I liked them more when I didn't know better, but at this point... fuck no.

DrGonzo1937
March 8th 2019

great review as always agent. needless to say I shan't be checking this out

SitarHero
March 8th 2019

"Every song here screams “bootleg AC/DC”, except instead of the angry Elmo they’ve had on vocals for years, you've got a literal nose that strains to hit the higher notes"

Ummm what?

March 8th 2019

This is bad but not as bad as their last few albums. Has enough going for it to be a 2-2.5.

MarsKid
March 8th 2019

Well done my man, will be running in the opposite direction from this dumpster fire

Digging: Ni - Pantophobie