Malfet
The Snaking Path

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (149 Reviews)
March 7th, 2019 | 47 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: a well-made album about the ill-made knight

Immersion is the cornerstone of a truly successful dungeon synth album. To allow suspension of that belief– that you’ve fallen backwards in time where castle spires reign atop sylvan canvases, knights gallantly roam, and mead is always on tap – you need an album that authentically captures a touch of medieval magic. A compelling story doesn’t hurt either, and for a growing number of fans, Malfet’s The Snaking Path achieves both. Unfurling itself as an optimistic reinterpretation of Arthurian legend Sir Launcelot the “Ill-Made Knight”, the record traverses through trial, tribulation and turmoil on its journey to achieve a sense of self-discovery and reward. It’s a handily woven narrative only fulfilled through dynamic song craft.

Dungeon synth feels elevated with The Snaking Path, transcending the usual wonder the genre exudes. Where the magic really comes in is how simply he achieved this; by adding a backdrop of woodsy field records and tribalistic percussion, you can close your eyes and FEEL like you’re perched upon a rock, sitting in the middle of magic woodland realm so beautiful it would make J.R.R. Tolkien and his elvish creations blush. The melodies are vibrant and soothing, somehow both epic and subdued. Using mellotron, harps, flutes, and organ synths to construct this fantasy wonderland The Snaking Path boasts dungeon synth’s medieval charm on another level, and firmly places itself as one of the most enchanting albums of the genre in recent years.

Sinmara Hvísl StjarnannaConvulsing Grievous
Nihil Invocation Furthering the Depth of Lucid MadnessUlver The Assassination of Julius Caesar
Counterparts You're Not You AnymoreBlood Incantation Starspawn

March 7th 2019

my favorite album of last year

Digging: Malfet - The Way To Avalon

manosg
March 7th 2019

Need to check this one asap.

Really good review.

Digging: Flame, Dear Flame - The Millenial Heartbeat

NICE

Digging: Deus Mortem - Kosmocide

AsleepInTheBack
March 7th 2019

Yaaaaas good music good review gooood

March 7th 2019

Thanks all! Really appreciate that.

0xME
March 7th 2019

Finally this album has a review! I still don't think this deserves a 5, but DS is an extremely subjective genre. Great job with the review

MarsKid
March 7th 2019

Lovely little piece my man. Never really knew about dungeon synth but between you and Hawks it seems like it's a cute genre to check out. I'm not too big on ambient usually, how much of that constitutes this record?

March 7th 2019

@0xME - Thank you! This album just really struck a chord with me, I'm not sure why. I really love that you can close your eyes and feel like you are literally sitting in the woods. I feel like the sound construction here is very very clever and elevates everything.

March 7th 2019

Thanks Brandon this review made me wanna jam this again. m/

March 7th 2019

@Mars - Personally, I wouldn't consider this on the ambient side of the genre at all (the fact that it's tagged as such here is bit misleading, but it's really the closest descriptor Sputnik has). The music is very lively and while it does have a lot of repeating measures, there is a good deal of straightforwardness and variance.

Slex
March 7th 2019

Don't believe I've ever heard dungeon synth, will check

Digging: The Dangerous Summer - Mother Nature

Nocte
March 7th 2019

This thread needs a Scuro comment

Great review B

Digging: Gnaw Their Tongues - An Eternity Of Suffering, An Eternity Of Pain

Thanks Nocte :]

March 8th 2019

Bumping my rating up. m/

DungeonBoy
March 8th 2019

"u can close your eyes and FEEL like you’re perched upon a rock, sitting in the middle of magic woodland realm so beautiful it would make J.R.R. Tolkien and his elvish creations blush."

I'll tell you what, the production on this thing is immaculate. The attention to space in the mix is paramount to that surrounding feeling of the wilderness. Pretty incredible IMO

Digging: Misthyrming - Algleymi

NOTINTHEFACE
March 8th 2019

I've been jamming this since the "underrated albums" list where it was featured. It's great stuff.

hansoloshotfirst
March 8th 2019

review is as lovely as the album.

Digging: Urfaust - Ritual Music for the True Clochard

BenThatsMyJamin
March 8th 2019

Anyone else randomly get recommended this on Spotify? I don't listen to anything similar and it has about 40 plays, presumably all from sputsters. Alexa pls stop spying on me

Jam it ahrd bruh.

March 8th 2019

Hey everyone! Thank you for the kind words! Means a lot!

@Dungeon - For me, it's the production that makes this a winner. The musical elements are obviously gorgeous, but that nature backdrop seals the deal.

@NOTINTHEFACE - Dang dude, I'm glad you've been digging it since then!

@Hansolo - thank you bby :*

@Ben - I didn't even know Pacific Threnodies material was on Spotify. But if you getting rec'd it and my reviewing are definitely not a coincidence :]

@Hawks - MY BOIIIII