3 Doors Down
Away from the Sun

by thezouz USER (23 Reviews)
March 7th, 2019 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Unlike many other records of that era, this one sold and was inescapable for a reason.

Post grunge is a genre that gets a lot of flak for various reasons; repetitive romanticized-sexified lyrics, incredibly simple music structures with little to no variation. While this is not true for every band, the ones in the mainstream really pushed genre to the very limit, until its death in the popular eye in the early 2010's. Many were glad and left the said genre behind easily.

But let's discredit ones that actually had something good to offer us. 3 Doors Down rose to fame in the late 90's/early 00's with 'Kryptonite', 'Loser' and many other singles, which brought them massive success; they went 6x platinum. They will really on the top of the world, and when it comes to post grunge - this is a strong effort. It certianly is a genre highlight, strong hooks, very strong lyricism,gets decently creative in places, and is certianly memorable. This was also before mid-00's radio rock mysogyny, so there is no such thing here, it is just a very good rock record.

It is hard to follow up an ultra successful release. How do they do it?

I can honestly say that "Away From the Sun" not only did not disappoint - it is better than the debut. Seriously, songs one after another are equally as good as the last time, if not better. Catchiness is there still, more often actually this time around. One major positive is Brad Arnold's writing. Say what you want about corniness and cheese of many similar acts, but you can't deny this man's ability to write. He is doing his job so greatly, he gets really poetic in places. It's true there are love themes that are touched here, but it is not cliche,it is not standard breakup or -I love you- stuff. And while this was apparent as early as 'Kryptonite' hit the airwaya, it is way better here. 'When I'm Gone' and title track start off this on a very high note. Emotional beautiful music, already overly mentiones lyrics, and above all that, Arnold's voice is fantastic. Is music still kind of simple - yeah, it is. But it is really all generic and effortless, passion behind it is impossible not to be seen.

The only real negative is that the band kind of overdoes this formula this time around. It works and that's great, but it gets older as the record goes on, and the second half kind of suffers because of this. Also the record is way more ballad-heavy than "The Better Life", which I usually don't like in albums, but it is for the better here.

Hooks are still excelent and enjoyable, while also memorable above all else. Bass adds some flavor in the mix as well, and drumming is, well, decent. It is not mindblowingly complex, nor being just present, it is fine. Some of the singles are bit overplayed, but that does not take away any quality they had to begin with. Other songs like 'Ticket to Heaven', 'The Road I'm On' and 'Changes' are just some of the best deepcuts genre has to offer.

There is depth here, not a pseudo one, the real depth. There is something to dive in to, something that rock music really lacked in the past decade. It's not lyrically repetitive at all, does not fall into bland territory (well, some tracks kinda do, but rarely) and it shows that with effort a solid piece of work can be made with a more simple music structures. It doesn't feel rushed and boring and it is the best that 3DD has to offer.

It is unfortunately after two great records, they never really did anything nearly as good. "Seventeen Days" was still okay, but lacked hooks, melodies and overall memorability, while the self titled was just a mess. Their latest record "Us and the Night" is probably the low point of their career, and they are not on the top of the world like they used to be.

That does not low the quality this record possesses tho. In fact, it just makes it look even better. Unlike many other records of that era, this one sold and was inescapable for a reason. I would really recommend this one as a true standout of that era, and to really any post grunge fan.

Saliva Every Six SecondsGreta Van Fleet Anthem of the Peaceful Army
Theory of a Deadman SavagesHinder All American Nightmare
Lou Reed and Metallica LuluThree Days Grace One-X
3.1
good
thejon93rd (4)
The band's best album to date, thanks to its masterful lyrics, with only a lack of musical diversity...

Meteora3255 (3)

Lucman
March 7th 2019

Never heard this in full but Here Without You is a guilty pleasure. One of my fav 2000 hits.

Digging: Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up

William21
March 7th 2019

This was probably the band's peak

WeepinnWillow
March 7th 2019

Yo did you ever make a Discord account?

also good review

Digging: Victims Aren't We All - Ugly

I'd argue S/T or Better Life but this is up there @William

Digging: Norma Jean - All Hail

March 7th 2019

The Better Life is great as well, s/t tho...dont know how much can I defend that one

March 7th 2019

I've got a bit more of a personal connection with the self-titled. Was my go-to sadboi record before I went full emo douchebag.

March 7th 2019

i totall respect that, and i appreciate when someone stands behind their positive opinions on something, even though it can sometimes have overall negative receptions

March 7th 2019

My favorite albums in a nutshell

March 7th 2019

Yeah, I had no clue people weren't as hot on later era 3 Doors Down until years later tbh. Shit, I even liked a chunk of Time of My Life.

March 7th 2019

I liked Seventeen Days fine and Time of My Life and s/t were okay, definitely not awful, but way too bland, even for my taste

But Us and the Night was awful

March 7th 2019

honestly before the new one my least favorite was Seventeen Days.

March 7th 2019

...meh, it was okay, nothing too noteworthy.

March 7th 2019

Since you kinda like post grunge as well, have you got an opinion on 3DG?

March 7th 2019

Yeah, One X is a solid record, Transit of Venus is underrated, and the post-Adam era sucks.

William21
March 7th 2019

I don't really care for Better Life actually... Kryptonite is one of the most overrated post grunge songs imo. 17 Days and the self-titled are okay. Us & the Night falls into my dumpster fire category.

March 7th 2019

yea the new one is pretty tepid, not that interesting. But I can't really call an album that bland and inoffensive a dumpster fire idk

Sinternet

20821 Comments

kryptonite is one of the only listenable post-grunge songs

Digging: Andy Stott - It Should Be Us

March 7th 2019

Most of it is still "listenable" tbh, it just has a tendency to be bland and uninteresting more times than I would've liked to admit when it was all I really listened to.

SitarHero
March 7th 2019

First album had some cool riffs and almost no vocal hooks.