Vimur
Triumphant Master of Fates

by Gameofmetal STAFF
March 5th, 2019 | 66 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: True black metal that also took some music theory classes in college.

“. . . elitism is the highest order.”

In an interview done with Vimur frontman and songwriter Vaedis (conducted by Chad Radford at creativeloafing.com), this phrase is the one that jumped out at me. Black metal is well known for its elite, exclusionary roots in Norway and although black metal has grown a thousand times larger since, there are still many that hold it to certain standards regarding underground status or engagement with the wider world. Vimur seem to hold true to tradition in many regards. They all sport fictional stage names, describe their drummer’s input as “sonic pulse bombardment” on their bandcamp page, and unironically slapped a depiction of a mythological Norse river of (checks notes) menstrual blood and urine on their latest record, Triumphant Master of Fates. Vimur is very much a band dedicated to elite black metal ideals.

However, that isn’t really what the quote is referring to. Vaedis was instead commenting on his belief in pushing one’s personal ability further and the high standards he holds his bandmates to. Vimur shroud themselves in classical black metal mystique, but operate more like a modern day Emperor or an especially bleak thrash metal band. There’s no fuzzy, overloaded distortion and rowdy drum blasts. Instead, Vimur offer a clear, if not polished mix and suspiciously technical compositions. Mountains of tangled riffs are piled on top of each other, while a masterful yet relentless drum framework keeps everything held together. Like Emperor in their heyday, Vimur are the music theorist’s black metal band, and not so much the anarchist’s.

That’s not to say they’re a sterile tech death band draped in darker colors. In between bouts of ripping guitar pyrotechnics, Vimur are just as quick to build up dreary melodic sequences like that found in the colossal “Supreme Preemption of the Lightless Empire”. Labeling them as just black metal doesn’t even quite do them justice when they’re so frequently dipping into other styles, like the breakneck thrash-death hybrid “Consumed by the Source” or the aching funeral doom of “Our Dearest Hopes Lie Buried Here”. At the end of the day though, it’s all gussied up in blackened hues and Luciferian tones to the point that their more advanced tendencies become seasoning instead of the full flavor.

Vimur aren’t necessarily reinventing the wheel with Triumphant Master of Fates, but they do have an appealing framework. More importantly, it’s cool to see a band blending very convincing traditionalism and dense atmospheres with technical gusto. We didn’t need the thousandth Mayhem or even the hundredth Emperor, but someone nestled in between the two with a foot out toward Behemoth isn’t so bad.

Born of Osiris The SimulationHate Eternal Upon Desolate Sands
Cultes Des Ghoules SinisterHorrendous Idol
Bosse-de-Nage Further StillThou Magus

Gameofmetal

ProjectFreak
March 5th 2019

A quick scan suggests this is my kind of BM -- vocals rip, and the drums are gigantic. My main beef with this sort of metal is it tends to be homogeneous, but here we go! Great review.

RivalSkoomaDealer
March 5th 2019

Nice review. This sounds like something i'd dig.

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

ProjectFreak

the second half of Nuclear Descecration grooves so hard

MarsKid
March 5th 2019

Nice review, I am certainly intrigued!

Digging: Ni - Pantophobie

TheSpirit
March 5th 2019

I've had this bookmarked on bandcamp for a couple of weeks now but haven't checked it out. Guess i have to now!

Digging: Akasha - Canticles of the Sepulchral Deity

WretchedCacophony
March 5th 2019

I've always loved the sharp contrast a solid black object makes with lighter objects in the background. Due to this feature on the cover, I shall give this a listen.
Edit: Yeah this is really good. Very satisfying to hear some fairly traditional sounding black metal that comes together well.

Hawks

Need this asap.

Digging: Akasha - Canticles of the Sepulchral Deity

great find gameofmetal!

Hawks
March 5th 2019

About to queue this up now. Pretty pumped to jam.

NoHellsNoHeavens

Its a "eh" for me dog.

Digging: Aara - So fallen alle Tempel

March 5th 2019

^you rated this on par with the new in flames album...

need I say more...

LARGEMINT
March 5th 2019

turned on one song and heard more interesting ideas than I've heard from any BM in the past 5 years minimum

NoHellsNoHeavens

@CaptainDooRight

Yea about the same for me. This shit is kinda boring, at least the new In Flames is kinda fun and some of their best work in the past decade or more. I stand by it.

LARGEMINT
March 5th 2019

ok nvm this got really repetitive really quick

Gameofmetal
March 5th 2019

i think it's a grower, i wasn't that impressed at first but after a few listens it became one of my favorites this year so far

Dewinged
March 5th 2019

Nice, need to check this.

Digging: Deafkids - Metaprogramao