Devil Master
Satan Spits On Children Of Light

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2019 | 109 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Black metal punk reveries to put them to blight.

Only Satan knows in which forsaken catacombs of the Carpathian have Relapse Records found the sextet known as Devil Master. They claim they are from Philly but the Devil can’t trick me. I know exactly when evil forces are trying to make their way into my soul with charming tunes and bewitching words.

Following the release last year of some raw tape recordings and live material compiled by the label under the title Manifestations, Devil Master debut now with a full length that solidifies them as not just the side project of Cape of Bats and Blank Spell members, but as a full fledged combo with a very clear love for the occult, horror fiction and the sound of legendary Japanese punk acts like Ghoul or G.I.S.M . These are some of the influences that explain the theatrical nature of their live performances, where candles on candelabra and spider webs fill the stage while the band spills cauldrons of pre-Viking era Bathory and Venom-infused riffs in the most unholy of manners.

Baptising their debut as Satan Spits on Children of Light doesn’t really denote a change of heart in regards to the band’s original concept. With the help of producer Arthur Rizk (Power Trip, Code Orange), Devil Master has managed to polish their sound while preserving the gritty, filthy feel of their early material. Inaugurating the ceremony with the creepy sound of a Transylvanian piano melody, Devil Master soon goes haywire with opener “Nightmares in the Human Collapse”, charging with a tremendous drum-beat and ear grinding guitars, and seamlessly transitioning into the glorious death rock of “Black Candle Flame”. In these first ten minutes, newcomers will get a quick taste of what to expect while fans of the old demos will be happy to hear next the re-recording of one of the band’s anthems, “Devil is Your Master”, which blends perfectly with the newest pieces.

There is no respite in Satan Spits on Children of Light, mostly because it’s not needed. Tracks run around the three minute mark with a few exceptions and the band rarely slows down the pace. Chorus soaked distortion that screams 80s metal, frontman Disembody’s echoed grunts and the primitive, almost beastly drumming are some of the first traits that get burnt in the back of your mind when listening to Devil Master for the first time. But their first full length also benefits from a few surprises in comparison with their previous demos, and so the band plays around with some hair metal in “Her Thirsty Whip” and go full on NWOBHM in “Desperate Shadow”, all without losing a speck of their infectious sound.

Devil Master is just pure, unadulterated, evil fun, like that scene in From Dusk Till Dawn where Tito & Tarantula play instruments made out of human corpses while vampires feast in the blood of the Titty Twister’s clientele. It’s the same kind of lovely absurdity that allows their mix of hardcore punk, surf rock and black metal to work wonders. It’s the kind of *** that could turn a funeral into a necromancer’s orgy, a nun’s hospice into a whorehouse and the Vatican into Sodom and Gomorrah. Be careful though, once the needle goes down on Satan Spits on Children of Light, the party might just be forever.

Ioanna Gika ThalassaHellripper Black Arts and Alchemy
Deafkids MetaprogramaçãoElizabeth Colour Wheel Nocebo
Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard Yn Ol I AnnwnSoen Lotus

March 2nd 2019

How do you celebrate becoming contrib? With a non-proofread review! Yay!

Black Flame Candle > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWIrLDKY_Ew

Full album stream > https://devilmaster.bandcamp.com/album/satan-spits-on-children-of-light

In love with these guys.

Digging: Ioanna Gika - Thalassa

TorkshireYea
March 2nd 2019

Don't need that pos validation now, you've made it! (Congrats on the promotion btw man :])
Nice to see this getting a review. Their EPs wrecked shit so I have high hopes for this one.

manosg
March 2nd 2019

Great album. Have a mind-pos Mr contrib.

March 2nd 2019

Yeah, there are a few spelling/technical errors here and there, but the review itself is a fine read. Maybe add a bit more to some descriptors at some points, but otherwise I think I get the picture: fast fun with Satan and all that. Sounds like a partay~

March 2nd 2019

Thanks Tork! If you liked the EP you'll love this one!

And tx manosg, feels weird not to have the little numbers anymore, glad to see you are digging these guys! And also Mars, let me know if anything needs fixing, will ninja edit if necessary!

March 2nd 2019

"...Devil can’t trick me, I know exactly when..."

Probably change that comma to a colon/semicolon/dash, would make more sense.

"Chorus soaked distortion..." & "Tito & Tarantula plays"

Choruses, I reckon, as well as play instead of plays.

"It’s the same kind of lovely absurd"

Lovely absurdity, perhaps? Other than those little blips it was an enjoyable read. m/

March 2nd 2019

All very reasonable, thanks man, corrected. The chorus bit, I'm not sure what you mean. It's the guitar effect so I guess it's singular?

March 2nd 2019

Oh I see now. I thought perhaps the idea was 'choruses soaked in distortion'. Don't mind me lol

Will add this to my list and jam eventually, probably

March 2nd 2019

I can see it might be confusing hmmm. Don't know if you are gonna vibe to this one but hey give it a quick shot and see how it goes!

March 2nd 2019

Well I was a big fan of Zeal and Ardor if that's a usable comparison at all, and that's something that may/may not normally be in my wheelhouse. I don't mind some good dirty fun every now and again.

March 2nd 2019

Haha not at all, this is more like old school super crusty punk leading into vintage metal. It's good fun that's for sure.

Papa Universe

20559 Comments

First dip into contributorship. All my friends are promoted now, who's gonna be receiving my odd POS puns now?

Digging: Haimad - The Return

Papa Universe

20559 Comments

satan POSes children of light

DungeonBoy
March 2nd 2019

Nice dude! I think it was Balls that introduced me to these guys, but I'm gonna jam this now. Album cover is wild.

Also congrats on being staff!

Digging: Inculter - Fatal Visions

Bloon

Nice

Digging: Various Artists - Dope-Guns-'n-Fucking in the Streets: Volumes 1-3

March 2nd 2019

Paps keep the puns coming pls.

And yeah Dungeon, Balls love these guys, it's a matter of time until he manifests in this thread haha hope u enjoy the album!

March 2nd 2019

Im still salty at these guys for skipping Tampa on be tour but oh well. Can’t wait to hear this.

Digging: The Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis

Hawks

Gotta hear this.

Digging: Hecate Enthroned - Embrace Of The Godless Aeon

garas

Woah, reviewed already?

Album is super fun, even tho I preffered the demos' less clean sound. But still "black punk" rules!

SitarHero
March 2nd 2019

"t’s the same kind of lovely absurdity that allows their mix of hardcore punk, surf rock and black metal to work wonders."

Ha! I was JUST explaining to my wife how black metal is just surf rock played on noisier guitars. As usual Dewi you've made me really want to check this out.