Jessica Pratt
Quiet Signs

by robin EMERITUS
February 26th, 2019 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

When albums tell you what they are… that’s the one. I will never not be allured by old jazz records that announce, in the space of their title, the thing they’re doing -- often with the shout of an exclamation mark. I am coming around to the simplicity of it, and I’m glad Jessica Pratt is too: naming her album Quiet Signs, she re-ups the aesthetics of Erik Satie, Yellow House era Grizzly Bear and, maybe just because I’m feeling his loss, Mark Hollis -- artists who make shapes before disappearing into a fog of loud silence, as drawn to the complexity of sounds as they are to the fact that there’s no one else in the room as they’re making them.

Imagine it as the sequel to Miles Davis’ In A Silent Way: melodic, musical and happening, I still fall in love with the idea of it barely existing at all. With a slower approach, and less of the pointed guitar picks that have marked her career so far, Pratt focuses our attention on the space itself, and the ease in which she can occupy it. This record feels as calm as it is because it brings those two things together: music writers will talk ‘atmosphere’ to you, but the musician’s reaction to it is vital. Do they recognise it. Do they take responsibility for it. The environment of Quiet Signs is special because Pratt’s songs are totally wrapped up in it, the two entering into an unbreakable relationship that sounds like the surest, most secure thing of all time. It’s what, half an hour long, but Pratt’s staying there.

I’ve listened to this record more times than I can count; on the first day I heard it, I just let it play on repeat, gliding through my day until I wasn’t sure if there were nine songs on it or nine hundred. It’s not an alternative to silence: these songs are memorable enough to warrant an AOTY spot, so we'll see. But Quiet Signs does make me think about what kind of companion a song, or an album, can be: cocooned in its world, I feel those unknowable, indescribable feelings that only places and things can give you. Pratt calls it Quiet Signs because of what space, sound and silence can indicate -- and what they can't explain.

Matt Douglas Affirmation (with Discomfort)Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour
Angelo De Augustine Swim Inside the MoonJeff Rosenstock Worry.
Okkervil River AwayOren Ambarchi, Kassel Jaeger, James Rushford Pale Calling

robin
February 26th 2019

literally just wrote this now bc that guy said someone should. what a load of garbage

Niiice! Thanks man!

I'm enjoying this a lot too, beautifully quiet and still yet melodic.

Sweet. Love this, but I feel like the lyrics were stronger on OYOLA

Might grow even more on me with time.

Digging: .O.rang - Herd of Instinct

February 26th 2019

Yeah, I have the feeling it's a grower too. Very glad with it already, looking forward to hear where it'll go in the future.

February 26th 2019

never really could get into jessica pratt

but i love robin

robin
February 26th 2019

probs the one for you chan

Ponton

love the review.

Digging: Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

February 26th 2019

nice review robin. I keep putting this off for some reason. seems like her voice could be an acquired taste but I'll give it another shot

Digging: Madison Cunningham - For the Sake of the Rhyme

Lucman

2088 Comments

This is a nice record.

Digging: Dirge (FR) - Elysian Magnetic Fields

February 26th 2019

Yeah she tends to sound a bit like a Smurf or something, but in all the right ways. Superb voice.

Wildhoney
February 26th 2019

Been waiting for this for a while. Satie is a great comparison. Good review.

dmathias52
February 27th 2019

Listening to "This Time Around" since it was the first popular track on Spotify, and the second she opened her mouth I fell in love. Can't wait to listen to this whole thing.

Digging: The Gloaming - The Gloaming 3

brandontaylor
February 27th 2019

this manages to be distant yet warm, it starts off hesitantly but ends with a great string of songs and wraps up in a really satisfying way.

Voivod

Album stream:

Will be checking this out for sure, good review.

Digging: Sordide - Hier Dj Mort

"distant yet warm"

Nicely put, totally agree.

February 27th 2019

Getting some Kings Of Convenience vibes here too, but with a little more grit or soul, a little less flat than they sometimes tend to be.

Pho3nix
February 27th 2019

She is very otherworldly and unique, but this is still bordering on a 2.5 for me ;__;

February 27th 2019

trifo@ have you checked her first two albums?

February 27th 2019

I've only checked the one that came before this, liked it a little less than this on first listen. What about the debut? How does it compare to the two newer ones?

February 27th 2019

it's more straighforward folk, sparse and atmospheric are the words that come to mind.

it mainly consists of her in a room with a guitar. It's one of my go-to night time albums.