Convulsing
Grievous

by Quattro Bajeena CONTRIBUTOR (153 Reviews)
February 26th, 2019 | 55 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I’ve longed for this... the taste of your flesh.

After their split with the ever eccentric blackened grind trio Siberian Hell Sounds, I promised myself I would keep an eye on Convulsing, an idea that has recently payed off handsomely. Their newest album Grievous is a near masterpiece. It’s an atmospheric death metal album more structured and thoughtful than the majority of their contemporaries could ever dream of creating. “Inert” billows plumes of carnal death metal riffage that settle into a cloud of psychedelic haze, dichotomous elements somehow perfectly in step with one another. Meanwhile closer “Strewn/Adrift” proves itself the middle-ground between weightless ambience and downtuned heaviness, an exercise in extremity that resolves these opposite ends of the spectrum without any sign of struggle. However, the most compelling feature of Grievous is how human the record feels, and especially for an extreme metal album. Created during a time of personal turmoil for sole member Brendan Sloan, his guttural howls and furious guitar lines ring with catharsis, as if they’re an exorcism of every inner demon and lacerating thought. Rarely is death metal this affective, and rarely is it this finessed, cementing the fact Convulsing is not just a one of a kind project, but that Grievous is easily one of the best death metal albums of the last decade.

Bagg Tussa баґґтуссаHorrendous Idol
Ossuarium Living TombLord Snow SHADOWMARKS
Sinmara Hvísl StjarnannaMalfet The Snaking Path

February 26th 2019

Cheating, but this needed a review. Going to go back to longer reviews after this.

Digging: Turpitude - Brume himale

Dewinged

20345 Comments

I kinda dig the short format Spirit, nice and swift.

Digging: Joe Henderson - Power to the People

February 26th 2019

Thank you! I really appreciate that

Butkuiss
February 26th 2019

Aye, Pete and Brendan are sicklads and it's a trip seeing his bands reviewed here lmao

Do you know them?

Gallantin
February 26th 2019

I remember enjoying their split with SHS, I'll check this out.

trilo

hell yes

album rips

Digging: As Real - Marveless

suppatime
February 26th 2019

both albums and the split pwn face

Nocte
February 26th 2019

Nice catchup review my man

Butkuiss
February 26th 2019

@TheSpirit don't know them heaps well but I live in Sydney and run into them (Moreso Pete) thru the scene from time to time. Brendan is a pretty well known name too tho.

Papa Universe
February 26th 2019

so it didn't have a review yet? jeez

Slex
February 26th 2019

Man this sounds awesome, excited to check

Digging: Nuvolascura - As We Suffer From Memory and Imagination

WretchedCacophony

1926 Comments

VINYL PRE-ORDER NOW AVAILABLE %$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**##* m//

February 26th 2019

Glad you all are enjoying this record m/ m/ I definitely feel as if even though this style of atmospheric/dissonant death metal is done a lot these days, Brendan has a style of his own that allows him to be just as affecting as aggressive.

Relinquished
February 26th 2019

super short review.. what is this? Pervert the Church??

February 26th 2019

I kind of like this magazine-y style :] And you know what's fucking nuts? I was JUST on PtC reminiscing the other day. I wish blogs like that were still relevant, I'd take it to the top again.

Relinquished
February 26th 2019

time to hogtie crysis, balls, shadow, and hype on the back of the wrangler and ride towards the sunset of blog success

we need zack too

Hawks

AWWWWWW FUCK YEAH

Album rips so fucking ahrd man.

Digging: Wake - Devouring Ruin

robotmagician
February 26th 2019

nice little review, I appreciate when someone can hold back and not write 40 paragraphs. also yeah this album rules and seeing him post on bandcamp that people buying the record allowed him to fly out for a tour was really cool.