Rodrigo y Gabriela
Echoes

good

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (343 Reviews)
February 25th, 2019 | 17 replies

Release Date: 01/31/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Modern day flamenco meets acoustic rock wanderings.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela has always had a penchant for sitting outside the normal realms of my listening. Often, I look for the comfort of warm nylon strings, natural melody, percussive guitar slapping and basically anything that reminds me of warm breads, pizza and deep spiced red wines. The duo’s newest EP, Echoes melds everything that makes them a viable, return listen. Incorporating their flair for faux flamenco into a sprawling, twenty (plus) minute affair of Pink Floyd psychedelia only forty eight years after the original was released.

Largely, Rodrigo Y Gabriela’s latest cover falls into the realms of ambitious and blasphemous, but the yield makes up for the lack of vocals as Rod’s notes pick out even Syd Barrett’s occasional vocal nuance. But as much as this seeps pure rock history, it’s the flourishing guitar playing that accentuates the utmost modern integrity, neither robbing or adding to the original version to which Rodrigo Y Gabriela play, instead they define the cover in individuality whilst making it respectfully their own.

When taken away from the context that Echoes is a cover, the track itself caters to more than the typical Pink Floyd fan. Due mostly to the duo’s style of play, Echoes brings back direct impressions from the guitarists earlier releases, namely in the self-titled and 11:11. The effect is subtle, before growing with repeated listens. The unintentional double meaning for the EP’s namesake suggests this duo are much smarter than credited. Largely, Rodrigo Y Gabriela’s newest release in almost five years is just a lead in to the record that follows later in the year. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s a more than welcome addition.

Defeated Sanity The Sanguinary ImpetusGaerea Limbo
Pyrrhon Abscess TimeLamb of God Lamb of God
Aversions Crown Hell Will Come For Us AllCaligula's Horse Rise Radiant
good

February 25th 2019

Gotta say this is quite nice and has me pretty much warmed up for the fulllength coming late April

February 25th 2019

i thought they were dead after deviant. tried to kill them with his review

Digging: Paysage d'Hiver - Schattengang

February 25th 2019

And yet they have music and where is Dev hmmmm?

Yeah, well if I remember correctly he nailed Korn in a similar fashion but they seem to be still kicking around.

MarsKid
February 25th 2019

Not bad, nice little write-up. Not sure if I'd invest the time in a cover, but I suppose it's a decent song.

Digging: TRVSS - New Distances

February 25th 2019

This has more appeal to the guys who enjoy the late 60s early 70s Floyd to be honest. I stumbled on this version initially thinking it was a stand alone track and couldn’t shake the feeling it felt familiar until I did the smallest amount of research.

Also works as great background music.

12049 Comments

Is this a single? I didn't know you could review singles...

February 27th 2019

yeah, i thought singles weren't allowed on the site?

sixdegrees

don't ask

don't tell

Digging: Even As We Speak - Feral Pop Frenzy

i'm calling the cyberpolice

February 27th 2019

Listed as “Echoes EP” on iTunes.

12049 Comments

I've always thought Sputnik needed to change the rule. If it has cover art it should be reviewable.

March 1st 2019

I’m okay if it stays how it is.

March 1st 2019

wouldn't mind being allowed to use '?'s on reviews tho

12049 Comments

Lol yeah, what a weird bug.

March 1st 2019

I actually spend my time avoiding questions these days. It’s probab making me less informed as a person idk

12049 Comments

It'd be funny if Sputnik was intellectually and spiritually stunting us (in addition to the inherent emotional stunting) all because we can't use question marks.

TwigTW
April 18th 2019

New album streaming early here: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/18/713548065/first-listen-rodrigo-y-gabriela-mettavolution