COIN
How Will You Know If You Never Try

good

by Divaman USER (157 Reviews)
February 24th, 2019 | 3 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "I never leave it unsaid. Why can't I leave it unsaid?" - From "Talk Too Much"

Coin (usually stylized as COIN) is a 4-piece indiepop band from Nashville, TN. They originally formed in 2012. They made a little noise in 2015 with a single called "Run" from their self-titled debut album, which received some airplay on American alternative rock radio. How Will You Know If You Never Try is their second studio album.

I don't have a lot to say about this LP, other than that it's a solid album of alternapop music. There are plenty of jangly guitars and high-pitched vocals throughout. The LP is best known for its extremely catchy lead single, "Talk Too Much", which charted on several of the Billboard charts, including the Hot Rock Songs chart (#28), the Alternative Songs chart (#8), and the US Rock Airplay chart (#16). A second single from the LP, "I Don't Wanna Dance," also achieved limited success, coming in at #43 on the Alternative Songs chart.

There are a total of eleven tracks here, some of which are quite good, and some of which are kind of boring. Other than "Talk Too Much", the highlight of the album is probably "Hannah", a mid-tempo number which contains the lyric from which the title of the album is drawn. Other solid numbers include "Malibu 1992", a slow, cool track that was originally recorded on the band's 1992 EP, and "Don't Cry 2020", the track that opens the album (which sounds like it would have been a better choice for a second single than was "I Don't Want to Dance").

I wish I had more to tell you here, but the truth is, this is a decent, but fairly generic example of the indie pop genre. If you like bands like Foster the People and Walk the Moon (and I do), you're probably going to like How Will You Know If You Never Try. It won't blow you away, but you'll get some enjoyment out of it. If you hate those bands, you probably shouldn't bother with Coin.

This Island Earth Welcome to the Merry-Go-RoundSteve Hackett At the Edge of Light
Yes Heaven and EarthJoni Mitchell Miles of Aisles
The Buggles Adventures in Modern RecordingMannheim Steamroller Christmas

Divaman
February 24th 2019

These guys are supposed to come out with a new album this coming spring. I'll give it a shot, and see if they step up their game a bit.

Digging: Seahawks - Eyes of the Moon

MarsKid
February 25th 2019

Gotta say, this wasn't very impressive at all. It felt like someone picked up the CD and described the cover to me. I'm assuming that perhaps the point was to sound uninspired to mimic the equally boring nature of the album, but it ends up falling flat. I don't detect any kind of investment in this review. It's usually best to avoid writing for something if your heart just isn't in it, because the result often embodies a product that lacks any substance to it.

Apologies, but this was just a weak write-up. I'd recommend beefing it up a considerable amount.

Digging: Ni - Pantophobie

Divaman
February 25th 2019

It wasn't that inspiring an album, just an OK one. But I believe that even just-decent albums deserve a review, even if they don't always inspire passion.