Kaleikr
Heart of Lead

by Brendan Schroer USER (132 Reviews)
February 21st, 2019 | 27 replies

Release Date: 02/15/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A songwriting method - however contentious it may be - is only as good as the quality of the songwriters themselves. Heart of Lead is proof of that.

Kaleikr have re-ignited a question I’ve been asking for years: at what point does repetition become good or bad? Truth be told, I don’t think I’ve ever found a clear-cut answer to that question. It’s fascinating that we can praise a Sunn O))) or Lightning Bolt record for the exact same reason we harshly criticize the latest pop-rap snorefest by the likes of Pitbull. Is it because of the intent behind it? That’s probably one of the strongest answers, but I don’t think it fully illustrates the entire reason. Repetition can be used for cynical cash cows like Pitbull, but many pop and dance jams that revolve around repetition are still enjoyable, regardless of intent.

But Heart of Lead partially answered my question by offering something a bit more unique. This actually goes back to my Eleanor Friedberger review from last year; in that write-up I explained how Rebound’s hypnotic qualities are a perfect foil for more interesting experiments to crawl out of the woodwork. Similarly, Heart of Lead uses a mesmerizing brand of post/progressive black metal as a deceptive cover for the varied contents within. “Internal Contradiction”’s brutal mid-song riffage and tempo shifts are suddenly more effective when they’re clashing with more esoteric soundscapes. The title track’s explosion of screams and anguished tremolo picking is much more earned when you’ve got such a beautifully melancholic buildup to precede it. “Beheld at Sunrise” also benefits from a great buildup, using rolling drums and a mournful piano to properly foreshadow its gutting riffs and doom-laden atmosphere. It’s almost like some twisted form of cinematic grief.

The formula that makes Heart of Lead so great seems so easy, but it’s incredibly difficult to master. How many bands have tried to use this contrasting ebb-and-flow format and fallen on their asses? Luckily, much like fellow metal bands who have miraculously succeeded with these contrasts - such as Opeth and Giant Squid - Kaleikr seem up to the challenge. Much of their appeal comes from how they’re already on their way to mastering the art of atmosphere, mostly revolving around melancholy and solemn contemplation. Even at their heaviest moments, such as the dissonant breakdowns of “Of Unbearable Longing” or the downtuned doom riffs that fuel “Eternal Stalemate and a Never-Ending Sunset” (that’s one hell of a title), the umbral mood remains thick and unceasing.

But perhaps most importantly, it still comes off as very colorful and textured. There are many layers to peel back on Heart of Lead whether you’re focusing on the treble or bass end of the production; on certain moments, especially when the blastbeats and tremolo guitars merge as one single beast, there’s a strange beauty to the aggression. It often takes me back to Ulver’s early days as a black metal outfit, and that’s certainly a good thing. Heart of Lead is an album that knows how to manipulate a listener’s patience and understanding of dynamics, and I’m sure that will come in handy as they continue to evolve. So, to answer the original question: what makes this repetition good? That’s because the record immerses in its possibilities, as Kaleikr are aware that they could pull the strings and play around with the repetition as needed without compromising their sound. Quite an impressive feat for a debut album, I'd say.

Sigrid Sucker PunchParamore Brand New Eyes
Kehlani While We WaitAvril Lavigne Head Above Water
Ariana Grande Thank U, NextMaroon 5 Songs About Jane

February 21st 2019

I used a bit more of a personal/conversational stance here, but I think it worked fine in the context of what I was arguing. Perhaps you could see this more as an editorial or something like that. Either way, this album is quite awesome :]

February 21st 2019

Saw Brandon post this on Facebook the other day, gotta hear asap. Sweet review bro. m/

Digging: Havukruunu - Uinuos Symein Sota

Dewinged

20569 Comments

Great review man, love the casual tone. I've only heard a couple of tracks off this and it sounds interesting.

Digging: Jaga Jazzist - Pyramid

MarsKid
February 22nd 2019

Had this queued up in my list and this is only increasing my interest. POS fo sho my man, review is well thought-out and provides a great personal aspect to the analysis.

Digging: TRVSS - New Distances

Thanks everyone!

@Hawks: Yeah, Brandon's the one who led me to this album :]

TheSpirit
February 22nd 2019

Excellent review Brendan. I think you perfectly described the nuance behind the extremity. I’m really glad you ended up like this so much!

Digging: Bone Awl - An Obelisk Marks the Line

February 22nd 2019

Thanks man! This is definitely one of my favorite metal albums of the year so far

MarsKid
February 22nd 2019

Mmhmm bout time I had some more metal to dig into that broke from the 'meh' crowd I've had thus far. Tasty stuff

TheNotrap
February 22nd 2019

I've been jamming this in the last couple of days, solid stuff.

Nice review

Digging: Black Crown Initiate - Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape

DungeonBoy

Stream/Purchase on Bandcamp:

February 22nd 2019

Oh shit yeah, I forgot to add a comment regarding the Bandcamp link. Thanks DungeonBoy

DungeonBoy
February 22nd 2019

yeah dude. I enjoyed your review, have a POS. I like the vocals and songwriting on this. I'm gonna add it to my list.

Starting this now. m/

February 22nd 2019

It's also streaming on Spotify for anyone who doesn't use Bandcamp m/

This is really good. m/

Hellyeah man m/

Essence
February 22nd 2019

certified super banger, little long tho

February 23rd 2019

I think the length is ok... there aren't too many tracks on it, which mitigates that issue a bit

TheNotrap
February 23rd 2019

These guys explore diverse textures throughout the album, that's cool

February 23rd 2019

Yeah, that’s definitely one of their main appeals