Soen
Lotus

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (49 Reviews)
February 19th, 2019 | 72 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nothing to add, nothing to rest. This is Soen at its finest.

Soen is a band that have been operating under the stigma of their palpable influences for a good while now. Opeth, Tool and Katatonia are three names that have lured over the band's legacy for a total of three releases since the project took form for the first time with an album called Cognition. Both this debut and its follow-up, Tellurian, were produced by David Bottrill, also known as the man behind the controls for bands like Tool or Fair to Midland, which clearly stated what kind of sound the band was aiming for since the very beginning.

On Lotus, their fourth and latest release, the band from Stockholm shows no intentions of straying away from this path. Bringing Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance's producer, David Castillo, to the mixing board is a strong statement, a decision that proves that instead of trying to shake off those influences they are willing to embrace them and make the most out of them.

Soen's musicianship is unquestionable, as they demonstrate a few minutes into Lotus. Every instrument sounds in place, and songs like "Opponent", "Martyrs" or "Covenant" illustrate how Soen is committed to their formula. Martin Lopez works his drum-kit with the same dexterity than in his days in Opeth, while Stefan Stenberg's bass links every beat with the outstanding guitar work of new axe-man Cody Ford, who replaced Marcus Jidell last year, few months after the release of the highly acclaimed Lykaia.

The addition of Lars Åhlund on keyboards in that same album instead of a second guitarist also helped to broaden Soen's sound back in 2017, and it's a vein that has been explored further in Lotus, with an emphasis on keypads filling up the background and a considerable increase of quiet parts where the piano serves as the sole company for Joel Ekelöf's vocals. And talking about Ekelöf, he might be the best example of how the band has evolved throughout the years. Comparisons with certain wine-maker from SoCal are not valid anymore in Soen's latest release. The singer has expanded his arsenal considerably, with some impressive moments in the final section of "Martyrs" or in the chorus of "Covenant", as well as crafting memorable vocal melodies for songs of a more laid-back nature like "River" or "Lotus", where he becomes the focal point.

Soen's fourth full-length almost hit the hour mark as per usual. Opening with "Opponent", the Swedes quickly discharge the riff material that they are well known for, following with "Lascivious", one of the highlights of the album along with "Martyrs". The balance between calm and tempestuous passages is rarely disturbed, except for a second half where a song like "River" brings down the pace, pulling the reins before unleashing the final surge with a strong track like "Rival" and the longest cut of the album, a foreclosing elegy titled "Lunacy".

In conclusion, with Lotus, Soen delivers a solid follow-up to 2017's Lykaia, reaffirming their sound and ensuring that their fan base gets exactly what is expected of them: a carefully polished slab of progressive rock and metal that wears their influences high and proud instead of rejecting them to become something they are not. Those that have walked side by side with the band through the years will do good in joining them on this new episode and those that have not, well, it’s never too late.

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard Yn Ol I AnnwnDevil Master Satan Spits On Children Of Light
Nivhek After Its own Death/ Walking in a SpiralSpidergawd V
Cherry Glazerr Stuffed and ReadyA Swarm of the Sun The Woods

Lykaia

Cognitive

Tellurian

February 19th 2019

Shitty review but 100+ ratings and no write-up was embarrassing. Honestly this was a 3.5 before starting to write and as I wrote and jammed turned to a 4. I did what i could Sput.

See the band turn to ladies in "Martyrs" official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh92nGMaEVg

And YouTube will show you the rest.

Digging: Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo

Pos. Band rulez. m/

Digging: Popiol - Zabobony

February 19th 2019

Well that was a deep critique, thanks Hawks m/

February 19th 2019

Hey no problem buddy. m/

Morpha

Boring opeth tribute band

Ur a moron.

February 19th 2019

Of all the 100 people rating this 3.5+ and I get the 1.5 Opeth copycat argument..

smh

February 19th 2019

Big monster tard that guy is yeah.

February 19th 2019

"Can't say I ain't Opeth"

TheNotrap
February 19th 2019

Nice and accurate review.

I totally agree with your thoughts about the singer, excellent performance.

Digging: Venom Prison - Samsara

MarsKid
February 19th 2019

Not too bad of a review my man. Gives a pretty good overview of what exactly this holds. Don't think I've given these guys much of a glance since their debut, dunno if I'd be sold on this.

Digging: Ni - Pantophobie

SitarHero
February 19th 2019

Oh shit! Martin Lopez is in this band! Gonna check. Sweet review as always dude!

Morpha
February 19th 2019

Oh I'm sorry I should praise a band that's making the same crap opeth/katatonia made 25 years ago you even mention them in your review as if this is somehow at all different when its not

February 19th 2019

I do mention their influences, which they have admitted in several interviews ad nauseatum, and I also mentioned how they are aware and proud of them. Not only they are amazing musicians, they have also evolved their sound and worked their ass for it. Saying they are an Opeth tribute band is just shallow as fuck man.

AmbushReality
February 19th 2019

I actually hadn't heard of this band until this was on the trending albums list last week, but I'm enjoying the record. Good review too.

February 19th 2019

Thanks man, check their previous two albums at least if u feel like it, they are pretty close to this.

Papa Universe

20033 Comments

soen - loPOS

that attached single was okay, like if Ghost went even more pop, might give this a shot.

Digging: Pedigree - New Freak

February 19th 2019

Thought this was super solid

Digging: Way Out West - Intensify

snakesc

Penance is a highlight

Source
February 19th 2019

"Comparisons with certain wine-maker from SoCal are not valid anymore in Soen's latest release."

hahaha speaking in code are we