Butthole Surfers
Pioughd

2.0
poor

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (121 Reviews)
February 18th, 2019 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chapter 6: Get along, Lonesome Bulldog.

1991 is an interesting year when discussing the Surfers, as it seemed like everything was going to shit in the new decade. Teresa Nervosa had departed from the group not too long from then, Rough Trade Records, their label at the time, had gone under, and the group would sign on to Capitol Records, their first time on a major label. In addition, the group became a traitor against the underground in the eyes of many when they took legendary punk/noise rock label Touch and Go to court over the rights of their past works. Even if you ignore everything surrounding the band, they’d found a new direction, one that was distinctly less interesting and repulsive than before. Pardon any bitterness, but it's really hard to judge Piouhgd on its own merits when it’s own merits fail to stand on their own. After all, here they were in 1991, playing the antagonists in their own story.

Piouhgd is undeniably a watered down record from the Surfers. Tracks like “Revolution Part 2,” “Lonesome Bulldog,” “Golden Showers” feel reminiscent of the Hairway to Steven - quirky, noisy, pseudo-folksy rock with layers of distortion and purposefully over-simplistic melodies - but toned down even more. That’s not to mention that the second of those tracks is just a weak clone of “John E. Smoke” and something like “No, I’m Iron Man” and “P.S.Y.” are obnoxious, shrill, and awkward psych tracks that sound like scrapped Rembrandt Pussyhorse b-sides (although I’d hope that era of the band would have the sense not to record a tame 12 minute snoozefest like “P.S.Y.”). So, especially after accounting for an incredibly dumpy and loathsome rerecording of “Something” and a somewhat decent, if not pointless, cover of Donovan’s “The Hurdy Gurdy Man,” it’s plain to see that Piouhgd’s strong suit isn’t it’s ingenuity or it’s eccentricities.

Unfortunately, the record also fails from a structural standpoint, with a central, recurring focus on “Lonesome Bulldog,” with an astounding 4 tracks being built on this subpar melody. What comes in between are forgettable songs that fail the overall composition in the realms of pacing. Every song, from the “Jimi”-borrowing “Blindman” to the exceptionally flat approach to Locust Abortion Technician style sonic experimentation on “Barking Dogs,” go on for way too long for way too long without keeping the listener’s attention.

But these are things that the band barely cared about before, but now, the group faces a problem. By softening their blow, they have to make a choice, do they want to make accessible, psych and folk tinged garage rock or ballbusting, subversive, and abstract noise rock❓ You can’t have it both ways, as the former requires less repetition and more regularly enjoyable melodies and the latter requires the boldness/idiocy to blast the Gibbytronix as loud as possible and to go all out, a la the band’s classic era material. But, really, it's naive to expect anything like the later to show up as the first post-Touch and Go release, especially when this was eventually repressed on Capitol. During the days of Nirvana (NOTE: this originally came out before Nevermind but the Capitol release was put out in '92, when Nirvana was catching the imaginations of many), many of Kurt Cobain’s favorite bands were getting their chance to widen their fan bases and net gains and, well, the Surfers were always going to have a harder time than the Meat Puppets or Mudhoney. Piouhgd sounds like exactly what it is, the Surfers creating a smorgasbord of rotten leftovers in the attempt to transition their old sound into this new era for them. In order to achieve that success, they’d need to try something else...

Bomb the Music Industry! To Leave or Die in Long IslandGrim (JPN) Lunatic House
Weezer PinkertonWeezer Weezer
The Austerity Program Bible Songs 1Jack Stauber Micropop
2.8
good
Liam8VIII (4)
Probably the most often dismissed album in the Surfers back catalogue, complete with tremendous high...

Stream the album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5UjGHA1Us

Chapter 6...

Previous Review: https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/78897/Butthole-Surfers-Hairway-to-Steven/

Next Review: https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/79103/Butthole-Surfers-Independent-Worm-Saloon/#comments

Digging: Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

February 18th 2019

I like Revolution Part II and that's it.

Rev I and Golden Showers are "fine"

Digging: The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?

Hurdy Gurdy Man is fun

February 18th 2019

I really hate that one actually

February 18th 2019

I'm kinda sad you skipped Widowermaker since I love that one, 3/4 of the songs on there are classics

February 18th 2019

Maybe I'll give it another shot

Booze, Tobacco, Dope, Pussy, Cars is like top 5 Surfers imo

Kompys2000
February 18th 2019

I found the Hurdy Gurdy Man EP with Barking Dogs on it at a thrift store years ago and I remember it being really mediocre.

Good review, one of these days I'll discog these guys and probably like this more than you do lol

February 18th 2019

It's ultimately a great discog

ramon.
February 19th 2019

almost picked up an album from these guys at a local electronics shop but opted for spaghetti rag by lyons and yosco, what album should I start with to get into these guys blooner? sweet review brother

February 19th 2019

I'm not Bloon, but people tend to universally love Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac if any Surfer album, that and their s/t EP

February 19th 2019

It depends, if you want dumbest noise rock - psychic powerless / s/t

If you want sonic experimentation- Locust Abortion Technician

If you want grungy, kitsch alt rock that's still really bizarre- independent worm saloon

Drifter
February 19th 2019

" In addition, the group became a trader against the underground in the eyes of many when they took "

is this supposed to be traitor instead of trader?

"it’s plain to see that [/i]Piouhgd[/i]’s strong suit isn’t it’s engineuity or it’s eccentricities."

plus this is messed up

February 20th 2019

Thanks chief, must have missed those

Kompys2000

I'm just gonna assume "asstounding" is intentional though (:

Lmao let's go with it

donttakeapicture
February 20th 2019

This band is just further proof that Kurt Cobain didn't have the best taste in music...

SharkTooth
February 20th 2019

that comment is just further proof that you have shit taste in music

also holy shit a BH discog run? I'mma check your past reviews now

Drifter
February 20th 2019

I think ingenuity is still spelled wrong in the last sentence of the second paragraph

naughtcturnal
February 23rd 2019

wtf kurt cobain was a rock music connoisseur

Digging: Diocletian - Amongst The Flames Of A Burning God