Emarosa
Peach Club

by zachrEEEEEEEEE USER (6 Reviews)
February 12th, 2019 | 0 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Think of this album like a newborn with perfect genetics, it's going to grow up to be something great, but it can't quite stand on its feet just yet.

Emarosa are - or were - a post-hardcore band that, despite a few vocalist changes has remained consistent throughout their career. Their first EP This Is Your Way Out featured vocalist Chris Roetter and was heavily metalcore influenced. Their next two LPs featured the oh so problematic vocalist Jonny Craig and went in a more post-hardcore direction. The two albums that followed featured current vocalist Bradley Walden and put an alt-rock twist on the bands post-hardcore sound. That leaves us here at their new LP Peach Club, and I am very pleased to say this album keeps them on their path of consistency.

First off, this album shows us a drastic change in sound for the band. They took a hard right turn into alt-pop, and when I say pop, I mean pop. Seriously, this thing is so sugary, you'll get diabetes if you aren't careful. Despite what Bring Me The Horizon lead us to believe last month, a rock band can go pop without sounding like ***. This is how pop is supposed to sound, it's bright, fun and catchy as all hell. Unlike several bands who make this turn to pop, the instruments don't disappear in the process! The guitar riffs are bouncy, the bass absolutely rips on this album, and the drumming is competent. The production blends those instrumentals with the synths very well too. This makes for a truly enjoyable listen. If you told me you listened to "Givin' Up" or, "Help You Out" without at least smiling, I'd call you a liar.

All that being said, it's very rare that a band gets it completely right on their first try with a new sound. If they continue in this direction they could put out some truly amazing records, but this one has a few issues. While there are a lot of great hooks on this album, some of the songs don't get as catchy as others, and pop in this lane needs to be catchy. Bradley's falsetto is nice, but it does feel a bit weak in spots compared to the music accompanying it. Tracks like "Too Bad" and "Hell Of It" get a little corny too, lyrically, as well as in the delivery.

Overall, I would definitely reccomend this album. It isn't perfect, but their are some damn good cuts on here, and it's a very enjoyable listen, and I garuntee you'll get at least something out of it. This album gave me some Michael Jackson vibes, which is a pretty wild thing for a band like this to achieve.