Downfall of Gaia

4.2

by Atari STAFF
February 9th, 2019 | 194 replies

Release Date: 02/08/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dense and massive, "Ethic of Radical Finitude" is Downfall of Gaia’s finest hour

At this point in their career, it’s hard to deny Downfall of Gaia are ultimate masters of their craft – casually bending the best parts of post rock, doom and black metal into a swirling mass of soundscapes. From the ambient-heavy opening to the outstanding closer, Ethic of Radical Finitude just might be the career-defining album from the German metal act.

Comparable to Der Weg Einer Freheit’s Finisterre, the latest from Downfall of Gaia is calmly elegant at times, and nerve-throttling at others. Like witnessing an overpowering storm, Ethic of Radical Finitude practically swallows the listener whole. The first major highlight, “We Pursue the Serpent of Time” is nothing short of massive – with thundering drums and dense riffs pummeling the listener for the better part of ten minutes. But it’s often the in-between moments – the stray guitar or piano interlude – that leave you in complete awe. It’s relentless when it needs to be, but these gentle instrumental breaks prove to be simply intoxicating.

This feeling of intoxication barely wavers throughout Downfall of Gaia’s latest towering epic. With several sprawling tracks nearing the ten-minute mark, there are plenty of moments to get lost in and appreciate; plenty of serene build-ups and immense crescendos. Ending on a high note, “Of Withering Violet Leaves” is a thing of indescribable beauty. It begins with warm guitar tones reminiscent of Agalloch’s Ashes Against the Grain. Soon another guitar joins in, then another - and then one more for good measure! The layered instrumental build-up here is beyond impressive; each note echoes and stands out in a way that speaks volumes to Downfall of Gaia’s attention to detail. The harsh vocalist is no slouch, either. He confidently matches the album’s loudest moments with his shrill, even piercing screams. There are also some clean vocals with a tribal feel that pit perfectly into the album’s more mysterious moments; a pretty nice bonus if you ask me.

Full of classic tremolo riffing and shrill screams – though enough innovation to stand out in 2019 – Ethic of Radical Finitude will go down in the books as a noteworthy achievement for Downfall of Gaia. They haven’t reinvented their sound, but they’ve reassembled it into something much more concise and potent. Their music has never quite had the strong magnetic pull that it does this time around. These songs will draw you in, but they’ll spit you out just as hard. Ethic of Radical Finitude is the pinnacle of the band’s career. Their mastery of atmosphere and melody has reached dizzying new heights here – and it’s a hell of a thing to behold.

Off With Their Heads Be GoodThe Tallest Man on Earth I Love You. It's a Fever Dream.
PUP Morbid StuffFree Throw What's Past Is Prologue
Julia Jacklin CrushingTiny Ruins Olympic Girls

February 9th 2019

this floored me and I was not expecting it to be so good. goodnight, Spunik

Digging: Together to the Stars - An Oblivion Above

zaruyache

pos'd.

good album i think

Deathconscious
February 9th 2019

cant wait to jam this, these guys have a real tight discography m/

Digging: Pyramidal - Pyramidal

Hawks
February 9th 2019

Band slayz. Can’t wait to jam.

TheSonomaDude

excellent little review! pos

don't think i've heard anything from these guys but i'll check something out

February 9th 2019

Early impressions are overwhelmingly positive, I might like it more than the other couple of records I’ve heard from these guys.

Digging: Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear

Sniff
February 9th 2019

Review got me even more hyped for this

teamster
February 9th 2019

Haven’t checked this.....yet. Looking forward to seeing if they have altered their sound a bit or just improved what has been the last three albums. Excellent review and thanks.

Sniff
February 9th 2019

Drums on serpent of time owns

February 9th 2019

been listening to too many German bands...don't quite know why...

Digging: Johnny Booth - Firsthand Accounts

oh man...this album

botb
February 9th 2019

Band rips, this is no different.

ramon.
February 9th 2019

read this as "ethnic of radical finitude" on like six separate occasions and only sussed it after reading this review

I like to think im an ethnic of radical finitude given my skateboard only has two wheels and im brown

sweet review. keen to get on it

February 9th 2019

I sense you'll love this X)

botb
February 9th 2019

I didn’t like this quite as much as Aeon but it’s really beautiful

February 9th 2019

Band is usually very good, this might be better. Looking forward to taking another plunge. I dig the atmosphere and there’s song-writing variation aplenty, no overly repetitive black or post-metalisms here on first glance.

February 9th 2019

I know nothing about drums...but found the drumming here something else.

taking a 2nd turn here

February 9th 2019

Have you checked any of their other stuff? Aeon goes hard.

February 9th 2019

nope...I was tired of these genre lately...so it would be really hard for this to impress me, but it did. All tracks man m/

will check Aeon for sure...

Dedes