Nokturnal Funeral
Lye x Love Cuts

by Zach USER (95 Reviews)
February 7th, 2019 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Goth electronic for dark nightclubs and dark rituals alike.

Lye x Love Cuts is the best electronic album within the multiverse, or so I am told by my good pal whomst is forcing me to write this at gunpoint. This dark lil tour de force stomps out unfortunate competitors such as Aphex Twin and Autechre as if they were autumnal leaves stomped beneath the many pattering feet of 7 year olds on a class trip. Yeah, it's that good.

Ok, almost that good.

Now that I have been unbound and no longer have a glock pressed to my cranium, I will give you an honest (honest!) review. Lye x Love Cuts is a curious affair. It encompasses a mood that is simultaneously hypnotic and entertaining, as if it were birthed both from the dark recesses of one's psyche as well as some musky midnight club. This isn't a unyielding maelstrom of suicidal depression, but moreso a sinister stab at memories of the past, compacted into something that is hook laden and catchy as goddamn hell.

Take the title track, for example. It opens with birds chirping and a gentle rainfall, with an equally gentle yet seething spoken word on top. This quickly subsides, transitioning quite smoothly into the aforementioned trap beats. It's a piece of both worlds that manage to merge seemlessly, a feat that is also done well off of the track Morphine. Both of these tracks embody just what Lye x Love Cuts is about-being odd and mysterious while retaining pop structures and sensibilities. It's commendable, really, how something so genuinely dark and murky can still remain so accessible and fun. Hell, maybe the dark underbelly of earth has a few foggy, dimly lit nightclubs, of which all of them are playing the goth-tinged electronic of Nokturnal Funeral.