Beirut

poor

by Xenophanes STAFF
February 7th, 2019 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The romance is over and so is Beirut.

I fell in love with Beirut in a weird time in my life; before coming out, during an unfulfilling relationship and while mired in the dog days of my college career. Living in comparative squalor and finishing my undergrad, Lon Grisland EP was the soundtrack to a rough and especially cold winter. Its jaunty tunes recall vivid images of innocuous nothingness--a snowy alley or a busy library. And since then its been something I return to, thorny memories and all.

Which is why I continually chase the Beirut dragon. The band evokes stirring visions of other lands in romantic eras; paintings that transport you to exotic locales and away from whatever ***ty situation you find yourself in. But Gallipoli follows No No No et al. in all its toothlessness. Beirut aren’t edgy (well were they ever") and they aren’t exotic--Beirut are a ~modern indie band~ in the best and worst ways; pale in the face and weak of heart.

For its faults, Gallipoli is nice. It’s pleasant. But it’s the type of nice that makes you wonder if there was any substance there at all. Is “Elephant Gun” good or are those rose-tinted glasses glued to my godammed retinas" With Gallipoli, songs like “I Giardini” float by while “Corfu” staggers past, forgettable and inane. The one-two punch of “When I Die” and the title track are surprisingly lush and emotive, but nothing comes close to evoking any “feelings.”

Gallipoli replaces the wide-eyed wonderment of other times and places with a cynical twee tableau. The romance is over, and fuck, so are Beirut.

Vanum Ageless FireKrallice Wolf
Chapel of Disease ...And As We Have Seen The StormSigh Heir to Despair
URSA Abyss Between the StarsCult Leader A Patient Man
3.2
good
SandbitchButthole (4)
With Gallipoli, Beirut finally bring their sound into the present-day with one of their best records...

McTime50
February 7th 2019

I wonder that if I check their other work, I might be inclined to bump down my rating for this one.

Ocean of Noise
February 7th 2019

I haven't heard this one yet but you should check out their first two albums if you haven't already. Both are great.

Digging: Agalloch - The White

I know I'm biased,

but this is a Golden Raspberry-worthy review

Digging: Hall of Fame - Hall of Fame

DoofDoof
February 7th 2019

I dunno....seems to be onto something

Digging: Jungsttter - Love Is

February 7th 2019

If only they could articulate that inkling into an actual review

Nikkolae
February 7th 2019

i mean its not that terrible or innocuous

Digging: Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse

February 7th 2019

It's offensive to me, damn it!

anatelier
February 7th 2019

i giardini has been stuck in my head since i first heard it

Digging: Haruomi Hosono - Hochono House

February 7th 2019

Family Curse floors me with that second half every time

Ev1lToaster
February 7th 2019

Honestly, this seems pretty amateurish for a staff review. You have quotations at the end of 'retinas' for some reason, you use the wrong 'its' early on, you have a coding error you didn't bother to fix, you use the same word twice in a sentence: "The one-two punch of “When I Die” and the title track are surprisingly lush and somber and emotive, but nothing reaches their somber tone and wonderful horniness (they have trumpets)." The writing comes across as lazy, and the swearing does little to elevate it.

someguest
February 7th 2019

I really liked the title track here, but haven't heard the rest.

The romance is over,

and fuck, so are Beirut.

Very powerful, heady stuff.

someguest

nice soundoff

amirite

February 7th 2019

Doof's 2.5 sound-doof is a better negatively-slanted writeup of this album, so even then this would have stiff competition.

Ev1lToaster
February 8th 2019

Good on the reviewer to take the criticisms to heart and make amendments to the review. Much better now.

Skoj
February 9th 2019

...you should feel bad about that last line.

The best I can interpret from this review, Beirut failed to make an album that matched your precise current emotional tenor like they did (by happenstance) years ago.

KevinKC
February 11th 2019

"I fell in love with Beirut in a weird time in my life; before coming out, during an unfulfilling relationship and while mired in the dog days of my college career"
Staff review.

ProjectFreak
February 13th 2019

" You have quotations at the end of 'retinas' for some reason"

That's the question mark bug. Question marks have been weirdly converted into quotation marks for what feels like years now, because this site is never maintained.

Also I like this review and I will follow your advice and not listen to this. C'mon people, personal reviews are fine every now and again.

anatelier
February 13th 2019

nothing wrong with personal reviews but this isn’t really reviewing anything

BrushedRed
February 23rd 2019

I’ve only heard like 3 tracks off this and they’re all really pretty. If they’re all like this, I don’t get the muddled response.