Papa Roach
Who Do You Trust?

1.5
very poor

by Roidv USER (1 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2019 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Jacoby gives us a signal to stop trusting in the band.

Papa Roach was one of my favourite bands, not because they were good, it's more to personal reasons, but I can say that, something I like of them is that at least they were consistent with their quality and sound, sure, a lot of people say that they sounded very generic, but I really feel like they try to make a balance between their identity and trying to sound mainstream without sound like they have been sold, with this album they are saying to us "We're not trying anymore".

To be honest, I never had faith in this album since I heard "Not The Only One", I mean, I really felt like I was listening to a Maroon 5 or Imagine Dragon song, the lyrics is not only generic, but even in the lyrics they sounded like those bands, my dissapointment couldn't be bigger. Unironically, when I heard to Renegade Music, I thought " This may not be that bad, sure, the lyrics is even worse because it sounds like the typical EDM vocals of "Dance! Prepare for this ***!" stuff, but at least the instrumental was okay, so yeah, it's not bad at all, it's one of the best songs of the album, even though that doesn't say a lot.

Then we have " Who do you trust"" which a lot a people compare with RATM, something that I understand, but at the end, is more like a wannabe of them, RATM may not be my favourite band, I haven't even listened an album of them yet, but I know that their songs have political topics/messages and even if the funky sound doesn't fit at all, at least they made their sound memorable enough, who do you trust"'s lyrics is nothing new and sounds like only is a excuse for having that title, the instrumental is mediocre and the production doesn't help it either, so yeah, another bad wannabe song.

Elevate, Problems and Top of the World are how my biggest fears of the album became true, the really sound like Imagine Dragons...no...the sound like THE WORST of Imagine Dragons, come on, even Top of the World have almost the name of a ID's song and the pre-chorus and chorus sound like an average ID's song, definitively the worst of the album.

I suffer well sounds okay first...until you realize is a plagiarism of Linkin Park's War, but with less duration and a worse riff, so, really meh at best song.

The Ending though, is probably the best and only decent song of the album, the lyrics isn't that weak, it sounds really dark compared to the rest of the album, and really gives vibes of the oldest Papa Roach stuff, I feel like I'm listening to a Infest song with better production...and worse instrumental, but hey, something is something, I guess. Better Than Life give me mixed opinions though, it sounds like a combination of Elevate and The Ending, so I can't say if I consider it okay or not.

And last but not least, Maniac and Feel Like Home, which doesn't sound like generic modern pop rock, because they sound like generic 2000's pop rock songs, even the lyrics sound the same, so it's like the intermediate of the album, not the best but not the worst either.

And that's all, like you could Imagine, this album not only have a lot of bad songs, but it's really inconsistent in their sound, first they try to sound like Imagine Dragons, then like Rage Against the Machine, then like Linkin Park, then like their older stuff, etc. Even the name of the album is more interesting than the album itself, Who do you trust" Well, I don't trust in papa roach anymore.

1.8
poor
Dan Foster (1.5)
Papa Roach ask the tough questions. And provide no satisfying answers....

Mason Pearmain (1.5)
In an attempt to buck the standard alt-metal formula, Papa Roach's latest effort falls flat....

Roidv
February 2nd 2019

Well, I had to write this thing two times since the beginning, and english isn't my native language, any corrections would be appreciated.

dfevil085
February 2nd 2019

Not a bad attempt at all. You get your point across well but you have some mistakes with your articles. "It vs Is" / "Are vs Is", etc.

Also try to keep your sentences simple and don't use so many commas. But this is not a bad first review, especially if english is not your native language.

Digging: The Black Codex - Episodes 1-13

Roidv

Thanks dfevil.

Yeah, I suspected I had a problem with the commas so it's nice to confirm it, and I'll do my best trying to fix the it/is, are/is issue.

StrikeOfTheBeast
February 2nd 2019

These guys are still around?

Digging: Behemoth - Demigod

hexfix93
February 2nd 2019

^ I was thinking the same thing lol. Didn't even know these guys were still a thing. Listened to this for kicks and it's terrible, as expected.

StrikeOfTheBeast
February 2nd 2019

Yeah "Not The Only One" is ironically the only one I need to know this is awful.

Storm In A Teacup
February 2nd 2019

Shit a hardcore fan like me giving a 1.5? Maybe I shoulf actually listen to this before letting my 3 stay forever rated.

William21
February 2nd 2019

I didn't particularly hate this but it's definitely the worst album they've made not named Metamorphosis

SweeneyTodd
February 3rd 2019

there's 2 alright songs imo, the first track and "maniac", the rest is Imagine Dragons feat. Papa Roach

Digging: Chapel (Rise) - Sunday Brunch