Daitro
Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes

by Brendan Stupik USER (1 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2019 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All in all, Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes is a stunning balance of darkness and beauty. It's both chaotic and calm, depressing and inspiring, and it's just an absolute masterpiece of screamo album.

In July of 2005, Daitro headed to San Feliu, Spain, to record what would become Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes, an album written through long jam sessions in Lyon, France. This is one of those albums that only comes around every so often, that changes your perception of a genre, and defines it.

Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes wastes no time, and starts off with the incredible guitar work of their title track "Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes". While the instruments work to paint a picture of their own, Aurelien's lyrics and vocals match them perfectly. By the time the first track has died down, the album transitions into the second track, Chaque Seconde. This one really demonstrates Daitro's versatility. Even though it starts off in chaos, this track contains a lot of beautiful sequences, and the ending is one of the most awe-inspiring things i've ever heard.

Like the first two tracks, the remainder of this album is filled with instrumental passages, slowly building up to breathtaking moments. One of the best examples of this is the song "Nous Sommes D'ici", Daitro's 9 minute chef-d’œuvre. The song starts off with slow drums and dark guitar chords that eventually break off and transition into absolute catharsis. Another highlight of Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes is the song "Trois Murs Pour La Selle De Tortue", where all of the members of Daitro recite a poem written by Mou’in Bissou over a dark, atmospheric instrumental.

As far as individual parts go, each member of Daitro pulls their weight. Benoit really sets the tempo and wows with his drum parts, similar to his work with Mihai Edrisch. On guitar, Sam and Julien continually amaze me. Along with the drums, they handle the transitions between parts flawlessly. Even Gwen's bass parts stand out to me when I listen to this album. While he plays support most of the time, he's able to set the mood on some of the quieter sections, like in "Se Noyer, S'oublier, Regarder Partir", and "Comme Du Papier". Lastly, Aurelien deserves a lot of credit for the lyrics and delivery, especially in tracks like "Nous Sommes D'ici", "Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes", and "Pourqoi Les Inconnus Restent-Ils Inconnus".

All in all, Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes is a stunning balance of darkness and beauty. It's both chaotic and calm, depressing and inspiring, and it's just an absolute masterpiece of a screamo album.

10/10.

br3ad_man EMERITUS (4.5)
Containing everything a good screamo album should, Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes puts Daitro at the f...

vakuola
January 23rd 2019

Love this album. You ever listened to Baton Rouge?

MarsKid
January 23rd 2019

Review is okay, I suppose. I think the descriptors could have been much more defined and there are quite a few grammatical/technical errors. The brevity doesn't help in this case. However, it's obvious that you're passionate about this, and you make the album's power at least somewhat evident. Hope that helps!

And yeah, this is a certified jam.

Digging: Ni - Pantophobie

brendanstupik
January 23rd 2019

@MarsKid thanks for the feedback! I'll try and keep those things in mind the next time I write a review.

brendanstupik
January 23rd 2019

@vakuola Yup! I've listened to pretty much every band with Daitro members in it (12XU, Baton Rouge, Torino, Mihai Edrisch, etc). They can do no wrong.

SlicePaperMoog
January 23rd 2019

Still one of the best of the best when it comes down to Screamo

Shame that they ruined their chance at touring overseas because of being pretentious pricks.

karpatfalvi

Best skramz

SlicePaperMoog
January 23rd 2019

I think You and I or I Have Dreams hold that title but this is still an easy classic

calmrose
January 23rd 2019

best skramz title goes to Orchid

this is still an easy classic [2], album rules

Digging: Bear vs. Shark - Terrorhawk

karpatfalvi
January 23rd 2019

It’s my favorite nonetheless, I think being from Europe makes me like this a tad bit more than orchid and their American counterparts

XingKing
January 23rd 2019

Gotta agree with Mars that the review is a bit lacking, though it is evident that you are passionate about this record, as you should be ;)

Darius the Great

19902 Comments

I still think this band is kinda inferior to Raein, despite anticipating the opposite

brainmelter
January 23rd 2019

come du papier is still so erection inducing

Digging: Aethyrvorous - Demo