My Ticket Home
Unreal

by artiswar USER (14 Reviews)
January 22nd, 2019 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best nu-metal release in 15 years.

Ohio-based band My Ticket Home have had a rough go of it. From their crude, by-numbers metalcore debut, to their forgettable hardcore sophomore effort, the band has been flailing in any direction to gain traction, morphing their identity to try to catch a wave and failing at it considerably. But with the nostalgic nu-metal bent that modern metal has taken recently, that wave has finally arrived for My Ticket Home, giving them the chance to revamp and consolidate their sound into something formidable.

The band has taken the heaviness down several notches, eschewing their metalcore trappings in favour of a smoother alt-rock/post-grunge sound and augmenting it with shades of old-school nu-metal instead of breakdowns and triplet riffs. This major pivot in direction works surprisingly in their favour, and thankfully they’ve drawn their influence from the sub-genre's best; Nick Giumenti’s crooning vocals are clearly aping Deftones, while his gritty melodic singing style and screams are very reminiscent of Chester Bennington in the best ways possible, like on album highlight Melancholia which shuffles through subdued and downtrodden verses before explosively spiking the chorus with massive driving guitars.

The production on this album is flawless. Everything sounds extremely crisp, and it's really highlighted on the moodier, more open tracks like Hyperreal and Cellophane which have layers of vocals panning and bouncing into each other with fuzz and tremolo while huge waves of reverby guitars wash over top of them. In these denser moments, every instrument is discernible without becoming a messy wall of noise. Other highlights include the ferocious and overtly nu-metal Flypaper which rocks a heavy KoRn style riff with aplomb, and Time Kills Everything which is practically shoe-gaze, as well as Visual Snow which closes the album out in ambient and cinematic fashion.

I just can’t believe how quickly and seamlessly My Ticket Home have found and honed their new identity. I can’t stress enough how hollow their previous output has rung, yet UnReal finds the band pulling a 180; tight, confident, and with no sign of fat or excess. It’s really a case of night-and-day, and an uncanny breakthrough for a band that I had completely dismissed.

Aristeia AristeiaGoodbye To Sleep I Lost You In The Cold
Zack Hemsey NomadCentaurus-A Side Effects Expected
Spiritbox SpiritboxBerried Alive Fools Gold

January 22nd 2019

The new single sounds great and I'm itching for a new album. Surprised this didn't have a review since their other much shittier albums did...

January 22nd 2019

I mean, the album before this was better imo...

January 22nd 2019

That album felt really bland to me. I couldn't really recall a single song off it afterwards.

January 22nd 2019

damn dude, that was my go-to workout album for monthssss. Most of those songs slap hard.

joshieboy
January 22nd 2019

Not listened to this band since l think their 2nd EP. Will add this to the list.

Digging: Polaris (AUS) - The Mortal Coil

January 23rd 2019

Cellophane fucks

Uzumaki
February 9th 2019

The vocalist reminds me of a mix between Daryl Palumbo and Mitch Allan.

Digging: Killer Be Killed - Killer Be Killed

lg433
March 11th 2019

strangers only slaps hard.

March 11th 2019

yeah it's their best. If you guys like Strangers Only, check the new Blood Youth album