Maggie Rogers
Heard It in a Past Life

by deputizecalypso USER (1 Reviews)
January 20th, 2019 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Young star proves she's here to stay

Unlike most viral stars, Maggie Rogers has long outlived her 15 minutes, but that’s not to say it was an easy ride. “I was really overwhelmed for a while, and scared too – my life became so public so fast and there were times I wasn’t sure that this was all for me,” the young singer-songwriter explains. It’s been two years since she encountered none other than Pharrell Williams during a filmed masterclass in New York. In a compelling scene, the producer can barely contain his awe for the young artist and her showcased demo, a reaction that set the song in question, “Alaska” on fire across the internet.

Though Rogers has since proven she is no one hit wonder, her full-length major label debut, Heard It In A Past Life, has arrived to quench any doubts. As the record zeroes in on her rapid rise to fame, the artist is determined to tell the story in her own words. The result is a brightly honest account of an accidental superstar, reminiscing on the person she once was, and questioning just how much remains.

Maggie Rogers‘ music is difficult to define, as she seamlessly coats the organic, narrative structures of folk music with the infectious beats and synths of electronica. Soundscapes evolve on this release, but this signature style nonetheless shines perfectly through the record’s opener, “Give A Little”. Beating forward with steady toms and off-kilter synth, layers of lush, tribal-like production grow patiently around a nimble, HAIM-esque chorus. Rogers’ voice shines with optimism and hope, as she looks forward to a future “where everything’s fresh and everything’s new”.

However, her response to newfound fame is not always so assured. “Overnight” is a lacy, nostalgic track that sees the young artist reach out to an old life that she has largely outgrown. Tensions continue to build with following track “The Knife”, as a brooding bassline and uneasy chimes hint at the pressures of overnight success; “I’ve got this feeling, maybe you know, it’s all about to blow”. It becomes hard to ignore just how dynamic Rogers is a vocalist, ranging between gentle whispers and deep-throated cries that can inform the listener just as much as her lyrics.

Though unease surfaces on Heard It In A Past Life, “Alaska” possesses more of a gleaming spirit of freedom and escape. The single is something of sonic forest, alive with upbeat grooves, playful beats and light flourishes of keys that compare to the drip of a melting glacier. Rogers’ light, layered falsetto floats through like a steady breeze, guiding you through the rich, tranquil atmosphere she herself has crafted. Production may bring to mind the exotic energy of Glass Animals and her vocals may recall the ethereal harmonies of Lorde, but the song’s iconic style will never be anything but Maggie Rogers.

Throughout the record, it is clear that Rogers is walking a tightrope between doubt and certainty, a balance she explores through the superb single “Light On”. With an upbeat acoustic intro, Rogers’ confessional storytelling takes the lead, candidly laying down the feelings of powerlessness and fear that have accompanied her success. Her tenacity prevails in a swelling chorus, as she confidently promises to endure for the sake of herself and those she loves. Following track “Past Life” retreats from the art-pop heights but remains on theme, as Rogers opens up further on the overwhelming nature of overnight success. Nothing but a simple piano accompanies the singer’s raw vocals, as she soberly croons “maybe everything’s just turning out how it should be”. With an aching tone, she hints at the greater sense of loss that haunts any transformation, gracing the record with a somber layer of sincerity.

While Heard It In A Past Life is mostly guided by Rogers’ narrative lyrics, studio production steps closer to the forefront in the record’s second half. Mind-inducing deep cut “Say It” opens with warbling, spacious synths characteristic of Beach House, enriched by shimmers of otherworldly keys. Rogers’ layered harmonies ooze influence of sultry RnB, as her surging chorus lifts the song to new heights. Following single “On And Off” sees the singer lean further into the realm of electronica, her voice blending seamlessly with pulsing grooves and a creative range of percussion. Though the song is composed of layers upon layers of creative instrumentation, it never comes across gaudy or overblown, further displaying Rogers’ talent in crafting vivacious dance music with a soul.

As Heard It In A Past Life enters its final stage, songwriting returns to a more intimate style. Piano, bass, drums and Rogers’ soulful voice all come together on “Fallingwater”, an impressive indie-pop ballad worthy of Florence and the Machine. With a little help from former Vampire Weekend member Rostam, production on “Fallingwater” is patient and atmospheric, diverting no attention away from the singer’s heart-wrenching vocals. The track is an impressive single, though in context of the record, one can’t help but feel that Rogers has begun to backpedal. Musing once again on her sudden rise to fame, she falls short in giving the old story a new dimension.

Unfortunately, the singer is unable to break this pattern in the record’s final moments. “Retrograde” sees Rogers’ towering vocals lament on the loss of her old-self (again), while “Burning” trails behind as a straightforward, impassioned love song embellished with drum machines and upbeat, whistle like melodies. As each track fails to cover new ground, production is simply not interesting enough to keep the record from trailing off. “Back In My Body” beats forward as Heard It In A Past Life’s final track, as Rogers finally delivers the confident, empowering anthem that the record has been building to. With an upbeat chant of “this time I know I’m fighting,” Rogers’ glowing self-assurance makes for an accomplished finale in her turbulent coming of age narrative.

Heard It In A Past Life succeeds as a proclamation of authenticity and musicality, with enough melody and energy to truly cement Maggie Rogers’ place amongst the best of today’s indie pop. However, while the record closes a chapter, it does not quite turn the page. The singer does a stellar job bringing the audience up to date with her journey, yet she only offers glimpses into the bright future that sits beyond her success story. The album is brimming with talent, creativity and sincerity, and while it proves that Rogers’ star has well and truly risen, it may still leave some pining for what’s to come.

Attribution: https://sungenre.com/review/maggie-rogers-heard-it-in-a-past-life/

3.1
good
trending all genres albums

I Am Easy to Find

IGOR

Rammstein

Dedicated

McTime50
January 20th 2019

Are you even allowed to post other people's reviews, regardless of attribution? I actually don't know. Haven't seen anyone else do that.

Digging: Aaron West and The Roaring Twenties - Routine Maintenance

robertsona
January 20th 2019

I made a song with this girl in high school. MY claim to fame

Slex
January 20th 2019

Why hasn't she gotten better since then?

Digging: Charly Bliss - Young Enough

robertsona
January 20th 2019

I didn’t like what I heard of this album but “fallingwater” is pretty addicting

Slex
January 20th 2019

Definitely think that's the best song here yeah

Besides Give A Little nothing is particularly bad, just very forgettable

Dewinged
January 20th 2019

Unless you are Alexandra Black from sungenre.com I don't think you can copy/paste the review from another site if you are not the author (!). If you are the author and write your review here as well as in another blog of your own, I think that's fine.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

deputizecalypso
January 21st 2019

yikes I'm sorry guys I swear i did write this review, I do work for sungenre and just decided to post here for feedback in order to improve my writing.

Dewinged
January 21st 2019

Yeah sure, like I said, if you are the author I don't see any problem, other users have their own blog and they do publish the same review in two places.

The problem would be someone randomly copy pasting a review from another site.

(But of course, I'm no mod so i can only give my opinion, this is what I've seen, but it might not be the rule).

Good (lengthy) review btw

January 21st 2019

Welcome! You'll have to forgive us, we're often a suspicious bunch because anyone can create an account here and cross-posting between professional/semi-professional sites is relatively uncommon.

This was a good read my first time but I'll circle back and offer some CC where possible.

One thing I'd ask is that you keep the attribution that was edited into the end of your review - it helps to clear up confusion should claims of plagiarism be levied against you.

Digging: Tyler, the Creator - Igor

brandontaylor
February 21st 2019

i feel similar to how i feel about the pale waves album last year. she doesnt really do anything new on this record, but what she does she executes well. a solid debut and i'm interested to see if she can evolve her sound into something more her own