Wristmeetrazor
Misery Never Forgets

by Supercoolguy64 USER (84 Reviews)
January 19th, 2019 | 130 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In which wearing your influences on your sleeve actually results in something solid

It would be far too easy and cynical for one to simply dismiss the new Wristmeetrazor LP as nostalgic “trve skramz” worship. From the fact that their name is a reference to a Usurp Synapse song to the unmistakably stylistic cover art by Pg.99’s Chris Taylor that adorns it, it would be easy to assume that this short disc is but a mere product of worship and little more. This assumption would of course be a mistake to make.

While the 20-minute runtime might be disappointing to those expecting drawn-out, epic post-rock passages with twinkly fret tapping and all that bullshit, one must remember that old ‘Wrist is instead attempting to ventilate it’s inner demons by means of spastic, rhythmic guitar assaults. “In Line for Halos” has a particularly great outro to it with a nice stop-and-go rhythm and soaring vocals somewhat comparable to those blessed by us from Skycamefalling. Overall in fact this band tends to derive their sound from a blend of screamo and early 2000’s metalcore groups, similar to that of later Love Lost But Not Forgotten.

Lyrically, this band can be a mixed bag. Though appropriately delivered by means of throaty screams or soaring chants (like on the Deftones-esque build up on “Come On In, the Water’s Pink”), the occasional corny and/or cliched line about rotting hearts or how nothing lasts forever will creep in. Clearly personal in writing however, there are some great lines to be had such as “We’ve spent a million life times apart, what’s one more"” (from "Expiry Date: 12 Hours") or the unusually mocking nature of “XOXO (Love Letter from a Loaded Gun)” as a whole.

Anyways, if dark and emotive metalcore reminiscent of the glory days of when anything involving “-core” was all Sputnik would be about is the kind of shit you’re into, then Misery Never Forgets should be right up your alley. It’s essentially one of the rare instances in which a band wearing it’s influences on its sleeve actually resulted in something really solid.

Bloodlet EntheogenDon Caballero Don Caballero II
Honeywell IndustryTower of Rome All Is Lost...All Is Lost...All Is Yet To Be Found
Brainiac Electro-Shock for PresidentToday Is the Day Kiss the Pig
PyramidNoise (3.5)
On the surface this represents everything I want to forget about late 90s/early 2000s metalcore and ...

Mason Pearmain (4)
Frenetic, emotional, and deeply satisfying...

January 19th 2019

p.s. best band name ever

wristmeetrazor.bandcamp.com

Digging: Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops

botb
January 19th 2019

I thought the band name was trash but band is solid

SitarHero
January 19th 2019

"I thought the band name was trash"

And yet your av advocates suicide. WHICH IS IT BOTB?!

Mort.
January 20th 2019

I guessed this was skramz from the title and LP pic and oh boy am I glad, will checl

Digging: Paddy McAloon - I Trawl The Megahertz

January 20th 2019

Its like Eighteen Visions, Converge, and pg.99 had a love child with each other. Imo I found the Screamo influence o n this one to be dialed down a bit in favor of a more Metalcore sound especially when you compare this to the 2 EPs they put out back in 2017.

Been waiting since I first heard these guys off of sophiesfloorboard and fuck I aint dissapointed.

AgentDeathbat
January 20th 2019

Genuinely one of the worst band names I've seen in a while. Jesus, what the fuck were they thinking?

Its a Usurp Synapse reference

AgentDeathbat

Oh, gotcha. Still yikes tbh

January 20th 2019

they chose a good band to reference

Hell yeah they did

Space Jester
January 20th 2019

Hank I liked you were better when you said nothing

January 20th 2019

Hank you make no sense at all.

MarsKid
January 20th 2019

Man this may be the first good nu metal release ever then

Digging: Wounds (USA-IL) - Light Eater

Space Jester
January 20th 2019

I mean I’ve heard a few good ones

January 21st 2019

I guess sine errorzone is considered a nu metal thing I can see a comparison but until their singer starts scatting I'm hesitant at best

YakNips

19560 Comments

"nu metal is thriving in calling itself skramz I see"

lmao

YakNips

19560 Comments

idk how a band trying so hard to ape classic screamo can end up sounding like the devil wears prada

Errorzone has actual Nu Metal influence this has no Nu Metal in it whatsoever

Also TDWP sound nothing like this either

accompliceofmydeath
January 21st 2019

Can't believe this sounds like Slaves on Dope.

Digging: Spark Lights the Friction - L'homme Robotik

JohnnyoftheWell
January 21st 2019

Lol is this bandname for real