Pumpkin Witch
Hovel of the Pumpkin Witch

by Hawks USER (117 Reviews)
January 17th, 2019 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Don’t you wanna come sit with me in the pumpkin patch on Halloween night.....?

Music is such a wonderful thing. All the broad ranges of genres, the different feelings you get while listening to certain things and just the overall impact is has on life in general. With anything though, certain types of music aren’t for everyone. Dungeon synth is an interesting genre to say the least. From what I’ve gathered, dungeon synth is ambient music, mixed with other things such as drone or electronic, that is made for the listener to feel as if they are smack dab in the middle of the Middle Ages. Pumpkin Witch isn’t your typical dungeon synth band.

Hovel of the Pumpkin Witch is an album that will make you feel like you’re watching a cheap, low-budget version of a cheesy slasher film. Equipped with samples from multiple horror movies, Pumpkin Witch hit you with brooding yet slightly repetitive ambient, droning keys that wouldn’t sound out of place in an old-school B-horror movie as the killer is stalking his next victim. In all honesty, the production is very lo-fi even for this type of music, but that ultimately adds to it’s overall charm. The static and noisy production adds to the thick atmosphere and the suspense of the album.

Pumpkin Witch isn’t going to be for everyone. A lot of people will pass this off as useless noise and a cheap act of trying to be “spooky.” But others, like myself, will find something to love in the experience that is Hovel of the Pumpkin Witch. If you’re a fan of hazy, dark soundscapes or just a fan of 80’s type slasher films, do yourself a favor and give this a chance. You might be surprised.

Akasha Canticles of the Sepulchral DeitySerpent Of Gnosis As I Drink from the Infinite Well of Inebriation
Cradle of Filth ThornographyJanusz Jurga Hypnowald
AngelMaker AngelMakerMisthyrming Algleymi
3.1
good

January 17th 2019

Had to review this. Another album that I love that most people seem to hate lol.

frozencarl

good band name lol

Digging: Desert Medicine - Desert Medicine

veninblazer

"dungeon synth"
steers far away from this

January 18th 2019

They’re no Bullet for My Valentine that’s for sure.

Dewinged

19004 Comments

" you get while listening to certain things" -- Missing a "t" there brother.

Good review, I have dungeon synth days, so I may check this one out.

Digging: Ginger Baker's Air Force - Ginger Baker's Air Force

January 18th 2019

Shit will edit now. Yeah this is awesome but it might be hard to get into.

ScuroFantasma
January 18th 2019

Nice write-up man. These dudes don't do much for me musically, but I do like their aesthetic and some of the ideas they've got going on.

Digging: Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures

January 18th 2019

Thanks bro!! Understandable, this is literally everything that I’m a sucker for lol.

Bump. m/

goblinilbog
January 18th 2019

I remember this was really interesting and good but I haven't listened to it in a Loooong time

January 18th 2019

Niiiice someone else with a positive rating.

splinter

It's short but men

Short reviews are my specialty Splimenter. Jam this ahrd. m/

Source

Pumpkinhead

January 18th 2019

This got some hate on my list but it’s fun to me.

Digging: Saviour - A Lunar Rose

I fucking love it lol.

Gmork89
January 18th 2019

Haha I am listening to this right now, just watched Halloween(2018) last night so im ready to go.

goblinilbog
January 18th 2019

They do a lot with seemingly very little which is impressive