Born of Osiris
The Simulation

by Gameofmetal STAFF
January 14th, 2019 | 155 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Born of Osiris by the numbers, packaged for those with better things to do.

The day Born of Osiris circled back to an average EP length/borderline mini-LP runtime really was a long time coming. In fact, it’s a day that’s yet to come for too many bands of their ilk, the somewhat dying breed of technical/prog/death/djent/whatever splashed metal bands. That’s not to say they never pulled off longer albums well (The Discovery could’ve used some trimming, but was otherwise great), but this sort of music, at least when it’s not executed extremely well, is best listened to in short bursts. The Simulation, as a result, is their most easily listened to record since they debuted on The New Reign (also a mini-LP), though it’s come along a bit too late to ignore Born of Osiris’ stagnant musical growth.

The Simulation is Born of Osiris by the numbers. It trends far more closely to the stuff they’ve been peddling on their last two albums, especially material along the lines of what was found on Soul Sphere. In short, that means a lot of staccato chugging rhythms and spacey electronics whirling around over the top. “Disconnectome” stands out thanks to a very traditionally tech death inspired intro and “Under The Gun” is memorable, if not that well put together, through the use of a synth hook that would fit on just about any radio pop hit. Ultimately, that’s about all the album has going for it. There’s a lot of breakdowns masquerading as verses and bridges while half-sung/half-screamed choruses are far too common, but this is the same stuff Born of Osiris has been writing for years now. If you liked Born of Osiris at all in the last four years, there’s something here for you and it’s conveniently succinct at only twenty six minutes, but there’s nothing here that will pull in fans that weren’t already seeking them out.

Vimur Triumphant Master of FatesHate Eternal Upon Desolate Sands

justajammin

Part 1 of 2

Gameofmetal
January 14th 2019

bit of a filler review on my part, planning to cover the new rotting christ and oddly have high hopes for it so that one may be better

Pfft

Digging: Way Out West - Intensify

sonictheplumber

turd music

Faraudo
January 14th 2019

Nah, it's a solid album.

Digging: Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost - Part 1

Dewinged
January 14th 2019

The short length works in their favor but yep, it's just alright.

Digging: Deafkids - Metaprogramao

Hawks

Band blowz yeah. [59382825838]

Digging: Akasha - Canticles of the Sepulchral Deity

pizzamachine
January 14th 2019

Great album like usual, it is catchy.

Nocte
January 14th 2019

Fitting review, album is the best thing they’ve put out ever - too bad it’s still bad

Toondude10
January 14th 2019

my thoughts exactly for the most part

the more I listen to this, the more the production irks me

Digging: Devin Townsend - Empath

brettgoespunk
January 15th 2019

Under the Gun is sweet. That's just about the only thing I got form this record though.

Digging: Dave Matthews Band - The Central Park Concert

AgentDeathbat
January 15th 2019

glad this is only 26 minutes, I dug The Discovery hard but I had a sinking feeling about the albums afterwards. Maybe this will push me to try the other post-Richardson albums as well when I try it out

Digging: Attalus - Into the Sea

Hawks
January 15th 2019

The Discovery blowz ahrd too agreed. m/en

Asura14
January 15th 2019

Will give this one a listen, feel like I'll enjoy it more than I probably should

Digging: While She Sleeps - So What?

Asura14
January 15th 2019

After a first listen Under The Gun is definitely the track that seems worthwhile.... A little experimentation wouldn't hurt these guys tho

Imo, there are some glimpses of a better album in this when some of the cleaner vocals kick in, Analogs in a Cell could of been a really good track

JayEnder

The music video for Cycles of Tragedy is the cheesiest shit I’ve ever seen

Digging: La Dispute - Panorama

Firedust
January 15th 2019

Yes, Hawks, the Discovery does indeed blow hard.

Gameofmetal
January 15th 2019

Actually cannot stand this weird recurring trope of half sung/half screamed chorus vocals metalcore and deathcore bands adopt when they either never had clean singing before or couldn’t find a real one to join their band.

JayEnder
January 15th 2019

Under the Gun was cool. These guys define hit or miss

ProjectFreak
January 15th 2019

production is so bad it made me think my audio drivers had just given up for some reason