Krallice
Wolf

by Xenophanes STAFF
January 12th, 2019 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: My, my what big ears you have.

A side effect of the post-2015 Krallice saturation has been a lack of surprise. With four LPs and two EPs pushed out within the last three or so years, the only way Krallice could catch listeners off guard would be to not release something new. Musically, their recent ventures have seen their once niche sound expand into something more earthly, offering their always off-kilter take on black metal while also harboring some death and sludge influences. Profound in 2015, but less so in 2019. So what surprises could a quick-and-dirty Krallice EP really provide"

None, really. Wolf shows Krallice reaching for another rabbit out of their hat only to come up empty. But instead of grasping at nothing, Krallice just crammed the rabbits back in and gave the hat a good shake. Wolf is aggressive and rabid--more so than the dark Loum or relentless Prelapsarian. It’s a flash in the pan distillation of the last few years of Krallice’s career, but with a little more gnashing and bit more rust. It’s messy and grimy, with hints of Gorguts and modern tech-death chopped and screwed amongst the inter dimensional void that is the band’s signature sound. The songs pop but never simmer, raising hell and making way for equally tormented bouts of Quaint when compared to their magnum opus, Go Be Forgotten, it feels over before it even begins. But even at their most customary, even a mere taste of Krallice is a wonderous thing, all these years later.

Dead To A Dying World ElegyInter Arma Sulphur English
Waste of Space Orchestra SyntheosisVous Autres Champ du Sang
Vanum Ageless FireChapel of Disease ...And As We Have Seen The Storm
good

20853 Comments

I listened to this on some bad speakers this morning (usually doesn't affect my objectivity) and got really bored with this one. Might re-check now and see how it is, but I'm not expecting much.

Digging: Neckbeard Deathcamp - SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT

20853 Comments

OK nevermind this annoyed me even more the second time around. Those start-stop-start bits in The Mound actually started to make me angry. And then there's this part:

to their magnum opus, Go Be Forgotten

that's it we're not friends anymore we are in a FEUD. That album had potential but still too much unorganized Krallice-i-ness to beat out Years Past Matter for top Krallice.

Nocte

Decently solid

WatchItExplode
January 12th 2019

A crysis av update would be the best thing to come out of this

Digging: Pile - Green and Grey

20853 Comments

birb avatar pls crysis owo

Hawks
January 12th 2019

Gotta jam this. Band is super hit or miss for me.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

robotmagician

surprisingly boring

teamster
January 12th 2019

I should dig this band more but I just can’t. I’ve tried, just doesn’t melt my butter. Excellent review and thanks.

Digging: Spotlights - Love and Decay

plane
January 12th 2019

Agreed with your review Xeno. Nice new year surprise.

Azog
January 12th 2019

Same here. I really want to like this band, God knows I tried. Their music isn't really bad, not at all. Nothing mediocre or derivative about it. By definition, I should love the shit out of this. But I don't. It just flows in one ear, and out the other. Nothing sticks. I can't tell one song from another, even if my life depends on it.

Gameofmetal
January 12th 2019

was marginally surprised to see a new krallice record and then was surprised that i was surprised

January 12th 2019

How cosmic are these trems?

Digging: Astronoid - Astronoid

Hawks
January 12th 2019

I mean they have some great stuff. Years Past Matter is amazing.

20853 Comments

they're fairly earth and sludgy rather than cosmik this time around.

lordworm00
January 13th 2019

For me they have to remain more time in studio before release an album

osmark86
January 14th 2019

The rate at which they're releasing new albums is enough to warrant a hip hop prefix like Yung

Digging: Polynation - Igneous

Dylan620

Yung Krallice

Rolls right off the tongue

Digging: Death - Individual Thought Patterns

January 14th 2019

And so it shall be henceforth

lalchimiste
January 15th 2019

damn so little love for this band on this site : (

I jammed the first track yesterday and was suprised to hear some doomy/sludgy vibes which kinda ruled.

Digging: Eucharist - Mirrorworlds

January 16th 2019

So is this shit gonna come to Spotify? I need this in my January Jamz playlist.