Festerday
Iihtallan

by Dewinged USER (42 Reviews)
January 10th, 2019 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Stomach auscultations in C minor.

The expression "It's never too late" gains a whole new dimension when applied to Finland's death metal seasoned veterans Festerday. Thirty years after their first inception as a band called Cardinal, and following a long stream of demos, EPs, reunions and workarounds, the band fronted by the cadaveric voice of Kena Stromsholm finally presents their first full length through Season of Mist, the cryptically titled Iihtallan.

Sporting an unexpected modern production, Iihtallan spits on the rotten well of wishes of old school death metal without complacencies. They know their trade and they execute it with unwavering sovereignty. On the other hand, the band don't shy away when they feel like incorporating other styles like punk or black metal into their broth. Songs like "Control Not Your Soul" and "Gravelove" ride on a galloping beat while drum blasts and diabolic picked tremolos plague tracks like "Flowers of Bones" or furious closer "Let Me Entertain Your Entrails Pt. 1" (the second part being a well deserved desert). The versatile voice of Stromsholm reaches severely pungent depths at times, growling and regurgitating themes not apt for lunch time.

For an album that embraces such romantic titles like "Edible Excrement" or "Your Saliva My Vagina", the music that conveys these words of wisdom rarely goes to such extremes. Festerday's style is surprisingly straightforward. Forget about exuberances like sax, keys or synths, because Iihtallan has none of that. Instead, the album offers the result of eternal sessions of garage practice to produce a cohesive and effective brand of death metal that would had found its throne next to names like Morbid Angel or Obituary, had it been released at the time where it seems to belong.

This doesn't mean Iihtallan feels out of place in 2019, in fact, Festerday's long overdue debut sounds as relevant as any other contemporary act, although those looking for the holy grail of the genre won't find it here. What you will find though is a bountiful amount of incendiary riffs and sinister melodies led by the demented screams of an absolute madman. With sixteen tracks and a very affordable running time, the race is on for extreme metal this year and Festerday have got a pretty decent head start.

Two People First BodyYou Tell Me You Tell Me
John Garcia John Garcia and the Band of GoldThou Inconsolable
Ex:Re Ex:ReWye Oak The Louder I Call, the Faster It Runs
3.3

January 10th 2019

Had nothing to do today at work so have another one.

You can listen to the whole thing here; https://festerday.bandcamp.com/album/lihtallan

Digging: Two People - First Body

BlushfulHippocrene
January 10th 2019

Excellent work, friend. "Do an amazing effort" is a bit awkward, perhaps, but that's neither here nor there. Review some more indie darlings for me soon, pls.

Digging: Pedro the Lion - Phoenix

January 10th 2019

Thanks Blush! Changed it a bit.

On the horizon I have Sharon Van Etten and Juliana Hatfield if no one else covers them ;)

Hawks

Pos ahrd. m/

Digging: Polaris (AUS) - The Mortal Coil

Thanks brother m/

POSterday

Digging: De Staat - Bubble Gum

19137 Comments

"For an album that embraces such romantic titles like "Edible Excrement" or "Your Saliva My Vagina", the music that conveys these words of wisdom rarely goes to such extremes"
oh man, I was hoping for an intellectual listen, but if they don't go there, then so be it

January 10th 2019

Oh it's very meditative Paps, like reflecting upon the mysteries of the cosmos while taking a dump.

that's my usual state.

dumping, not thinking

January 10th 2019

I do both but I'm pretty good multi-tasking

19137 Comments

when I shit, I tend to burn my brains out at the same time

19137 Comments

just realised I didn't actually pos, improved right away

January 10th 2019

The site taking the plunge seems right in order with me reviewing death metal, sorry sput.

AdolfChrist

19116 Comments

this is pretty cool, 50 minutes is too long for what this is though.

Digging: Cerebral Rot - Cessation of Life

January 10th 2019

I see it as 45 plus the lo-fi bonus track, idk, it doesn't drag much for me. Glad you checked it tho dude

AdolfChrist

19116 Comments

im seeing 49 minutes, not including the bonus track. should be 40 at the most imo.

nice review though. dewinged, more like BEwinged.

January 10th 2019

Thanks man, yeah well minute up or down, I find this very accessible for a DM pleb like myself, that's what I was trying to say. Maybe is that glorious Boss HM-2 sound, idk.

Nocte
January 10th 2019

This fell off me pretty quickly. There’s no real memorable moments that incite me to give this any more repeated listens. Hence the rating.

There’s some excellent, thought out points in the review however. Pos

January 10th 2019

Cheers Noct, yeah I saw your rating before I reviewed it which helped me to get a more grounded point of view. I'm fairly easy to impress when it comes to genres I'm not too familiar with.