Old Sea Brigade
Ode To A Friend

good

by Brendan Schroer USER (132 Reviews)
January 8th, 2019 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I wanna feel peace when I rest/so I know that I passed love's test

Old Sea Brigade’s first full-length release doesn’t start with a bang, but rather a slow crawl. Soft electric guitar leads are sprinkled over the airy production, and Ben Cramer’s soft Justin Vernon-esque low register provides a natural counterpoint. Beyond this, the entirety of “Sinkhole” is a somber ballad with modern-meets-vintage production values and ebb-and-flow dynamics, a seemingly fitting way to introduce an artist who’s garnered comparisons to Southern Gothic artists like Iron & Wine. But what distinguishes Cramer from other musicians who continue to crowd the indie folk scene today" Well, I suppose that comes down to the incredibly “spacious” nature of the production values. On the surface, Ode to a Friend isn’t doing anything new to set it apart - the songwriting is par for the course, and this kind of “alternative folk” balladry has already been done by more popular folk musicians such as The Civil Wars. But the distinguishing features are perhaps best explained by the album’s third track “Feel You.” Here, we get a mesmerizing, almost dream pop-influenced piece of restraint and simplicity; it mostly revolves around a few minimalistic piano figures, and the floaty synths and guitar leads wrap around them like a shroud. It may sound a bit too safe and unadventurous, but it also sounds incredibly warm and comforting.

I suppose that may be the best way to explain Ode to a Friend’s simultaneous appeal and flaws. This is the kind of album you’d put on when you’ve had a long day at work and need to wind down, or when you just need to sit back and reflect on things for a bit. No song comes remotely close to being anthemic or wildly energetic, and unfortunately, the incessantly subdued volume is the primary reason for the album being as homogeneous as it is. Still, let me give credit where it’s due. First of all, Ben Cramer pulls out some excellent guitar chops on this thing; “Western Eyes,” “Cigarette,” and “Hope”, in particular, are all bolstered by rapid fingerpicked melodies that compliment the delicate vocals and hopeful atmosphere perfectly. Also, I have to give an honorable mention to the closing title track, which draws from those aforementioned dream pop vibes to create a truly hypnotic reverb-drenched guitar finale. Top that with vocals that sound as though they came straight out of Ulver’s Assassination of Julius Caesar album, and you’ve got a really nice way to wrap up the album. I think that descriptor - “nice” - best sums up Ode to a Friend. In no way is it groundbreaking or innovative. In no way is it a substantial departure from other atmospheric indie folk. Still, I have a lot of respect for an artist who doesn’t need to resort to cheap gimmicks or half-hearted folk-pop “anthems” to get a message across. This is honest, humble music played very competently… and for that, it gets my modest recommendation.

Sigrid Sucker PunchParamore Brand New Eyes
Kehlani While We WaitKaleikr Heart of Lead
Avril Lavigne Head Above WaterAriana Grande Thank U, Next
3.1
good

sup

Dewinged
January 7th 2019

Oh nice, didn't think this would get reviewed. The album starts really good but fails to engage soon after, still worth a check I think.

Great first review of the year Brendan!

Digging: Fire! Orchestra - Arrival

Nocte

Gud review old chap

Digging: Gnaw Their Tongues - An Eternity Of Suffering, An Eternity Of Pain

January 7th 2019

What can I say, I'm always on the lookout for any new indie folk! Thanks for the feedback, guys :]

January 9th 2019

This is nice. I can't say it's great, but I do keep coming back to it.

Digging: Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari

January 9th 2019

Same here. It's far from excellent, but for some reason, I'm still revisiting it frequently

January 9th 2019

Yeah, I'll be interested to hear what he does next. Hopefully he takes this and improves on it.

January 11th 2019

Honestly, I think it'd be cool if he made something that was similar to Bon Iver's self-titled. Something that sounds very grand but very earnest at the same time

January 15th 2019

Getting around to listening to this now

Sounds really nice, can tell the guy has invested some emotion in this

edit: yeah, as this went on it kinda all washed together...it's nice, but definitely nothing memorable. 3/5 is spot on.

Digging: Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari

Minushuman24
January 31st 2019

I fear that I will never remember this album

Trifolium
March 13th 2019

This is quite nice, feel the same as you guys. Good, entertaining, but not much more, the promise of the first few tracks isn't fulfilled.

It sometimes even feels a bit Snow Patrol-like...

March 14th 2019

I wish I could rate it 3.3, because it's the best 3 I've heard in awhile.