Rosetta
Sower of Wind

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (264 Reviews)
January 7th, 2019 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not without direction. Naught without direction.

Rosetta enjoy a certain level of grey area where it comes to their titular display of post rock meets ambient metal music. More often than not the near suffocating presence of the band’s music is outlined by waves of sensual heaviness and intelligently displayed beautiful landscapes. Rosetta’s music did have some endearing flaws and the often misrepresentation of ideas only made the band more real, pressing on the foundations of what made A Determinism of Morality and The Galilean Satellites the band’s essential listening, even if the group struggled to define themselves within the world of post metal.

Fast forward back to the present and Rosetta challenge their listeners with an ambient, reimagined display of Utopioid, wrapped up in a succinct thirty minute EP. Sower Of Wind highlights (in quarters) the cardinal directions of the full-length’s more ambient parts, fleshing them out into a landscape of atmosphere. And while the band doesn’t consider this EP a companion to 2017’s Utopioid there is an underlying symmetry of sound that shows Sower Of Wind borrowing in minimal effort and saving grace. Rosetta’s 2019 EP doesn’t stand as tall as the band’s albums, running instead along a primordial, placid and swelling line of moods. Almost nothing about Sower Of Wind is meant to shock or transform.

It’s pretty clear that Sower Of Wind does exactly what it sets out to do, but it’s not exactly memorable for that reason. The differentiation between tracks is almost as minimal as the ambient instrumentalism and the little trinkets of piano notes does little to expand the notion that this is not supposed to be a companion release. Sure, Sower Of Wind is expansive within its own run-time, but it’s highly unlikely to think that anyone will be putting this on repeat for years to come.

Ghastly (FIN) Death VelourGorod Aethra
Moonshade Sun DethronedArchitects Holy Hell
All That Remains Victim of the New DiseaseArsis Visitant
3.3

January 7th 2019

Not a great deal to say for this one. Here's to #1 for 2019.

EP is a 2.7/5 if I had that rating scale going for me.

BlazinBlitzer
January 7th 2019

How similar is this to Utopioid?

zaruyache

20223 Comments

"These sounds are organic outgrowths of latent ideas from each of the four parts of Utopioid. Thank you for having an open mind."

ooohoooo i love this wall of drone ambient stuff

Digging: Hermodr - Forest Sky

Dewinged
January 7th 2019

Aaaaand here we go 2019. Great write-up Noct!

Digging: Two People - First Body

January 8th 2019

How similar is this to Utopioid?

The easy answer here is yes and no unfortunately.

ooohoooo i love this wall of drone ambient stuff

Based solely off our brief interactions, I'd say this is a great pick for you man.

Aaaaand here we go 2019

Yeah, I reviewed a bit of everything last year. I kinda want to settle into a niche this year.

burningbeard
January 8th 2019

'How similar is this to Utopioid?'

January 8th 2019

Is that the Blurryface album cover?

Digging: Mree - The Middle

Artuma
January 8th 2019

"Is that the Blurryface album cover?"

please go away

Digging: Convulsing - Grievous

January 8th 2019

Art what climbed into your butt this morning? Should I go give an indie-folk album a 1.5 to cheer you up?

Artuma
January 8th 2019

that would actually make me very happy

Sniff
January 8th 2019

get outta here with that twenty one pilots talk

nychicano
January 8th 2019

Jesus Christ. Just go back to making space metal you freaking nerds.

BlazinBlitzer
January 8th 2019

"Themes from Utopioid come through in the melodies but there's no percussion or vox, or heavier elements to this at all. It's NYP on their bandcamp so you should be able to have a listen and find out if it's for you or not."

Aaaand I think I'll pass. Thanks for the description, though!

JAV
January 8th 2019

It's background music also it's technically free so you can't be too upset.

Space Jester
January 8th 2019

I haven’t enjoyed anything this band has done since Flies to Flame. They just feel so safe and bland now

January 8th 2019

This is definitely safe as far as this band goes

Flugmorph
January 9th 2019

20491 Comments

well rosetta is pretty hit or miss lately

0GuyMan0
January 10th 2019

I mean this really isn't meant to be anything more than a companion piece to Utopiod. It's like if I decided to review Disc 2 of TGS on its own.

Space Jester
January 10th 2019

I actually like that one as an ambient album, I haven’t heard this one yet so I’ve still gotta get on it. But yea, Quintessential Ephemera and Utopoid were pretty boring to me. I know some people didn’t like The Anaesthete but I think that one had some interesting stuff going on despite being their worst at that point

0GuyMan0
January 10th 2019

Anaesthete kinda had a tough run to follow, and is definitely not as good as the first 3, but its fucking dark and heavy and I love it still.