The Gerogerigegege
Showa

1.0
awful

by SirRicheyMethodius USER (1 Reviews)
January 7th, 2019 | 59 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A scam disguised as an album

Before I properly review Showa, I would like to say that while the album's content is pretty bad, my main reason for rating it so low is because of the context behind it, and the reasons The Gerogerigegege had for releasing it. Therefore, I will primarily focus on that in this review.

Showa opens with a low-quality version of the Japanese national anthem, which plays for around a minute, before cutting to silence for a few seconds. The record then quickly cuts to a recording of a couple making love. For the unaware, the album's title and cover refers to the late Japanese Emperor Showa (more commonly known as Hirohito), with the cover being a picture of the Emperor in his old age. So the primary purpose of Showa was not to entertain, but to shock and offend consumers who bought the record, thinking they were buying an album of patriotic music honouring the Emperor; Japanese culture traditionally puts a lot of emphasis on honour, especially towards those of higher social standing, so you could imagine this causing quite a bit of disdain among deceived buyers.

To add insult to injury, Emperor Hirohito died mere months after Showa was released, leading more people to buy patriotic music, and potentially be tricked into buying this album. And while I will admit that this was meant to be a joke, the problem is that it is not a funny joke; Showa is the album equivalent of your annoying friend who thinks that just saying the n-word by itself makes them a comedic genius.

What annoys me even more about Showa is that it quite literally the scams people who The Gerogerigegege wished would buy this record; and The Gerogerigegege likely made a fair amount of money out of this scam. At least a fair amount for an underground Japanese noise act.

So, not only is the content of Showa already pretty bad by itself, the fact that it deceives, offends, scams, and insults its target audience kicks it down multiple rungs to quite possibly the worst album of all time.

2.3

January 6th 2019

This is the best album ever made, fuck off.

Digging: BUKKAKEXRANCH - The Sound of 28 SFW Photos of Japanese Schoolgirls

Dewinged
January 6th 2019

These guys are pretty much the definition of insanity. Good review, pos.

Digging: Two People - First Body

Winesburgohio
January 6th 2019

this album is a bit of a

growa, not a showa

Digging: Angelo De Augustine - Tomb

Winesburgohio
January 6th 2019

also lmao save your pearl-clutching and hand-wringing for another band. The Gero always dissected Japanese jingoism and sense of superiority while repping those on the margins. the emperor represented an establishment they couldn't countenance, hence: this record, taking the piss out of the face and the audio representation of it. facile, yes, but also funny as hell and a really cool concept when you consider just how sacred the cow they were going after is - so sacred, in fact, it offends people years later. FUCK MELODY FUCK COMPOSE

TheSonomaDude

japanese anal cunt

i mean if anal cunt made an album called "HW BUSH" and marketed it as a patriotic tribute to the late ex-president, it'd be fucking hilarious

zaruyache

Thanks to no one

ART IS OVER

Bloon
January 6th 2019

these guys are waaaay better than anal cunt

Digging: Weezer - The Teal Album

This album literally killed Showa

January 6th 2019

I'm negging, not because I disagree with you, but I think you're making too many assumptions in this review. It seems like you're upset about how much money this album made, but who knows how much it made? Was it even on a lot of shelves? And it's okay to be offended by the album. I can't fault you for that; the band obviously wasn't trying to please people. But I would hope you refrain from calling it the worst album of all time for that reason. It's silly, it was never meant to make a change in anyone's life, and it probably never made a dent in Hirohito's reputation.

January 6th 2019

I can, though, commend your grammar, general formatting, and word choice. I would like to see you write about something you enjoy.

TheSonomaDude
January 6th 2019

yeah I agree. ik it's japan but i highly doubt this was in every store on every shelf like the reviewer implies.

Darius the Great

19510 Comments

lol what is this review

January 6th 2019

Tbh I doubt more than 1 person bought this without knowing that it wasn't some "patriotic music". Like, would you buy this expecting that kind of content if you go to buy it and the guys selling it is like "ok one copy of Showa by The Vomitdiarrheackackack"? Besides that, I doubt that they were selling this stuff in big stores, you know?

Darius the Great

19510 Comments

alex is correct

hal1ax
January 6th 2019

"And while I will admit that this was meant to be a joke, the problem is that it is not a funny joke;"

it is funny

"Showa is the album equivalent of your annoying friend who thinks that just saying the n-word by itself makes them a comedic genius."

you are an idiot

January 6th 2019

I think The Gerogerigegege were unable to make good music but at least they were kind of funny... Sometimes. But I have an awful sense of humor, so what do I know?

BMDrummer
January 6th 2019

but poking fun at fucked up hierarchy is always funny

punk af