Advance Base
Animal Companionship

by FreddieDelaney31 USER (22 Reviews)
January 4th, 2019 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bark bark

Animal Companionship feels like it exists apart from the outside world. Using only a small number of instruments combined with his poetic and lived-in lyrics, solo artist Owen Ashworth conjures a wistfully melancholic atmosphere that is tenderly homespun and homemade. While there's admittedly not a lot of variety on display, Ashworth is able to keep things engaging with strong melodies and relatable writing. There's a best of both worlds result here, with each song being special while adding to a cumulative feeling of humbled and hushed intimacy and fullness.

Highlights abound, from the way the absolutely gorgeous Dolores and Kimberly so subtly builds for the entire song, to the way that Me & You & The Moon has a radiant and surprisingly bouncy chorus. Ashworth's voice is charmingly gruff and real, and is used as a dynamic texture in the mix, contrasting with the waves of warm keyboards and soft drums it floats over. This all culminates in Care, which is so stunningly candid in its openhearted vulnerability and gratefulness that I might have teared up a little by the time it rolled around. Each track here sounds like the best 80's slow dance song never made while still easily distinguishing itself. While complaints of homogeneity seem inevitable, I'd say those people are missing the point entirely; Animal Companionship is a place you can live, with each and every piece exactly where it needs to be. The result is a nostalgic and enveloping masterpiece of pop music, and if you love one song, you'll love them all. In this increasingly chaotic and unsentimental world, what more could you ask for"

The Twilight Sad It Won/t Be Like This All the TimeTrophy Eyes The American Dream
Snail Mail LushMount Eerie A Crow Looked At Me
Hop Along Bark Your Head Off, DogThe Mountain Goats Goths

January 4th 2019

I cannot believe how criminally overlooked this album is, it's magical

Constructive criticism appreciated as always

Digging: Hodera - First Things First

User: FreddieDelaney31

Genre: indie pop / folk / country

FINE FINE FINE I'll listen ;-)

Also good review as usual.

Digging: James Blake - Assume Form

January 4th 2019

Yeah I definitely think you'll enjoy this

Make sure to listen with the lyrics, which are available on his Bandcamp page

January 4th 2019

Beautiful rating ya got there :')

January 4th 2019

i'm jk i've never heard this

Goddammit lol

January 4th 2019

Singer sounds sorta like Kermit the Frog so far, but I'm withholding judgment until I hear more

January 4th 2019

"singer sounds like shit but i'm withholding judgement"

Papa Universe

19232 Comments

advance POS

Digging: Two People - First Body

January 4th 2019

Lmao damn I love his voice

19457 Comments

artist name made me think of the game boy advance and i like that

Cormano
January 4th 2019

i meant to check this but more stuff got in the way
guess its time now

19457 Comments

this is so typically indie it hurts

January 4th 2019

Glad ya at least gave it a try, my tastes can be basic as fuck sometimes lol (tho I do think this album is special)

January 4th 2019

sry man, not super into this =/

January 4th 2019

Unfortunately I expect most people will find this average but that's alright, different strokes for different folks

January 4th 2019

this definitely isn't bad it's just kinda lacking that special something for me to want to rate it anything more than a 3.5

seems like typically enjoyable indie folk to me, I'll split the difference between that 1 and that 5

edit: lyrics are quite good, +0.5

??????????

SitarHero
January 4th 2019

This doesn't sound like my kind of thing at all but it's a really good review and that summary is hilarious. Pos.