Miles Davis
Relaxin' With the Miles Davis Quintet

by 50iL USER (17 Reviews)
January 4th, 2019 | 23 replies

Release Date: 1958 | Tracklist

Review Summary: [Verb]in’ Series: Part 2 of 4

Accessibility, or lack thereof, is a major factor that keeps new listeners away from jazz; there are many idiosyncrasies in the genre that need to be learned from scratch. Some of which include improvisation, modulating keys, the structuring of songs based on chord progressions and the turnaround to a “head.” It can be rather intimidating, therefore, to even attempt to do so. Not only that, but the genre is often incredibly dissonant, especially when used to express avant-garde ideas. This is even true within jazz’s most popular artist; Miles Davis. The latter would often host dense, dissonant, avant-garde rooted improvisations, particularly in his 70’s fusion era.

This album, however, is definitely not a member of Miles’ inaccessible portion of repertoire. For the second volume of the ”[Verb]in’” series, the bandleader and company take the album title to heart. The session is a relatively laid-back outing in which the members improvise with free-flowing expertise over delightful songs that spin along very pleasantly to the listener. Standards such as Sonny Rollins’ “Oleo” and Jimmy Van Heusen’s “It Could Happen to You” are given a solid performance by the whole quintet. The listening experience, overall, proves to be noteworthy in its unadulteratedly casual tone. Granted, the album does everything typical within jazz splendidly, but not much more, leading to a positive aftertaste that does not really make for a notably “spicy” experience. While this may be ideal for certain listeners, post-bop and “out-there” fanatics will be ill-satiated if a wild experience is expected.

With its few shortcomings included, ”Relaxin’” stands as an exemplary outing in terms of typical jazz, excelling in all standards a fan of such would ask for but never exceeding them. Perhaps ”Relaxin’” best caters to those just starting into jazz and looking for an enjoyable but not terribly challenging experience, one that can introduce them to its discernibly unique characteristics. In that case, this album, a good slice of cheese, and a sunny day at the park sounds like a grand way to relax.

Miles Davis Cookin' With the Miles Davis QuintetMiles Davis 'Round About Midnight
Herbie Hancock SextantCorrupt Moral Altar Eunoia
Lee Morgan Search for the New LandPerfume Triangle

Stream here: https://open.spotify.com/album/1mQCpyWoI4vTore21DgOQG

Yeah, this needed a review.

Digging: Dave Holland - Extended Play: Live at Birdland

Hawks

Meniles Davis

Digging: Cara Neir - Part III / Part IV

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

January 4th 2019

Broke the page already smh

Hawks, you should really check this if jazz interests you tbh

Hawks
January 4th 2019

Honestly have never really jammed any jazz. I mean I’ve heard stuff with jazz mixed in but don’t know if I’ve ever jammed a straight up jazz record. Might have to get on it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sry lol

January 4th 2019

I think you'd dig tbh, give it a try haha

Also, Gyro, whyyyyyyyy my OCD is making me have a meltdown

;D

January 4th 2019

Omg I actually sighed of relief haha, thanks

I mean, the comment section is yours to use anyway, but broken comment sections are like a spunky hair to me... they just get to me on a purely nervous level lmao

January 4th 2019

lmao me too. i was always going to correct it, just couldn't resist messing with ya :P they should fix it so you can't do page breaks so easily.

January 4th 2019

Agreed, just like the question mark thing in reviews. If only mx was, you know, active...

Zig

This needed a review. [2]

Jazz it up!

Digging: Carl Stalling - The Carl Stalling Project

wham49
January 4th 2019

this is good I dig workin' as well, just bought at the Fillmore on vinyl the other day

totally agree about the difficulties in getting into jazz, it goes totally against the way mainstream music has been made for 45 years. It took me time and patience to get into the Grateful Dead, who are basically a jazz band mentallity, especially up to like 78, so when I started listening to jazz I just "got it" and have been a fan ever sense

January 4th 2019

Thanks fellas! Yeah wham, it has changed my way of listening completely hehe

TVC15
January 6th 2019

Oh shit whattup

Digging: HEALTH - VOL. 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR

January 6th 2019

Hey Chrost! You should get into more Miles tbhhh

SitarHero
January 7th 2019

"It can be rather intimidating, therefore, to even attempt to do so."

On the contrary, I believe that the average person doesn't care enough rather than being intimidated. The thing that draws musicians to jazz is its complexity, but if you can't sing along to it and you can't dance to it what's the point if you're just a regular joe going about his day?

Trifolium
January 7th 2019

After listening to his more well known releases for years and loving the crap out of them I've started to work my way through his discog. Nice coincidence. Loved all of it so far, but I don't care for the fusion stuff so I'm not looking forward to that. Luckily those still lie way in the future.

January 7th 2019

Hmmm, to me it was the opposite. I really wanted to get into jazz but it felt too... extensive, for me. Kinda like classical now.

Anyway, I can definitely see your point. I was also not really catering to "regular Joes" with this review, as it is on a nerdy music forum haha. I was mainly catering to an average Jane Doe/Sputcore fanatic. Thanks for the comment though, I'll keep it in mind.