Heir Apparent
The View from Below

by manosg STAFF
December 31st, 2018 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Comfort is the enemy.

Considering their talent and quality of output, Heir Apparent could and should have been much bigger. Hailing from the city that spawned a number of bands wrongfully accused of killing metal in the ‘90s, their music has always been compared to the early work of some of the most significant progressive metal bands out there such as Queensryche and Fates Warning. Of course, they didn’t copy the aforementioned forefathers of progressive metal; according to guitar player and founding member Terry Gorle, they were merely influenced by the same legends such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio-Sabbath, Dio-Rainbow, and Pink Floyd, among others. Their debut is considered a US metal classic, before adopting a more progressive-oriented sound on One Small Voice, while both featured different vocalists.

The View from Below is Heir Apparent’s third studio album, comes just short of 30 years after their sophomore effort and it’s the very definition of “better late than never”. In a nutshell, the music contained sounds like classic mid-‘80s progressive metal. However, these guys have built a great platform on which their (third) vocalist shines. Feelings of sadness, anguish, anxiety, fear, and anger are felt throughout without even having to read the lyrics. Just listen to the immediacy of “The Door” or the rhetorical questions on the epic “The Road to Palestine”. However, the songwriting is so solid that it doesn’t feel right to proclaim Will Shaw’s performance as the highlight here. Guitarist Terry Gorle’s playing is so focused and varied that brings to mind David Gilmour or Jim Matheos. Furthermore, the album’s sound has a cool old-school vibe which is quite logical considering that it was produced by Tom Hall who had also worked with the band on their first two albums in addition to a few Queensryche LPs.

To sum up, the fact that these guys managed to produce such a great result with all the bumps in their road and the state of the music business today, is nothing short of surprising. The View from Below is an ideal point of entry to a noteworthy discography that every power-prog fan should check.

Flame, Dear Flame The Millenial HeartbeatArch/Matheos Winter Ethereal
Vargrav (FIN) Reign In Supreme DarknessSmoulder Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring
Traveler (CAN) TravelerTwin Temple Twin Temple (Bring You Their Signature Sound....

Graceful Inheritance

December 31st 2018

Just a short review for an album that all you prog metal fans out there should check. You know who you are.

Digging: Leonard Cohen - Live In Dublin

EvoHavok
December 31st 2018

Hah, I was just thinking these days why this was so overlooked and didn't get any review here. People over at AMG appreciated it quite a bit.
Nice work, manos! I might eventually check this out.

December 31st 2018

Thanks Evo, appreciate it!

Started writing the review when this one was released but never followed through. So when I jammed it again these days, I knew I had to complete it. Such a strong release.

budgie
December 31st 2018

font on album cover reminds me of harry potter

BerryGarlicia
December 31st 2018

im getting a hard hair band vibe

zaruyache

THIS ISN'T OPETH

Darius the Great

20660 Comments

somebody get the academy in here

Asdfp277

that album cover is literally 5 minutes worth of bodging on photoshop

i love it

ksoflas
January 1st 2019

Solid band, better late than never.

deslad
January 2nd 2019

Great review as always manos; it sounds really interesting. I'll check it out soon

Digging: Ray Charles - What'd I Say

January 2nd 2019

Cheers, des. Appreciate you always checking my reviews and hope you enjoy.

Meridiu5

dat album art

Digging: Nathanael Larochette - Earth And Sky

BigBlob
January 3rd 2019

album art actually made me laugh. I love it

Digging: Pet Shop Boys - Very

deathschool
January 3rd 2019

Thought it said “Heir Appointment”, and I was like that’s actually genius, and now I’m disappointed.

Digging: Daniel Bjarnason - Processions

Marehelm
January 4th 2019

Good for them, the DNA helix is righthanded as it should be

Voivod
January 4th 2019

Short and sweet review, Manos, I need to listen to this some more, because unlike the new Fifth Angel and ShadoKeep albums, first few listens didn't do much for me.

Jamming this now with my full attention, and it feels like the band came through the difficult part, i.e. finding a really good singer, but somewhat "neglected" to write songs with replay value, even though listening to this is a very pleasant, atmospheric experience. Between 3-3.5 atm for me.

Digging: Norman Shores - De L'Ombre Surgit La Lumire

Lord(e)Po)))ts
January 4th 2019

This looks like a warcraft game

January 5th 2019

Have to admit that I have never played a warcraft game even though it was huge when I was growing up but always got positive vibes.

Thanks Voi! There are a couple of songs here that have had a significant replay value for me but then again I am a sucker for such dramatic music haha.

Casavir
January 7th 2019

I liked their first two albums so I'll most likely check this out.