Sulphur Aeon
The Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos

by Brendan Schroer USER (123 Reviews)
December 27th, 2018 | 125 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A beautiful darkness to lose yourself in

Right from the beginning of opener “Cult of Starry Wisdom,” a strange mix of sensations defines The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos at large. That is, the feeling that you’re drowning and being crushed at the same time. The slow riffs in the intro are accompanied by vibrato-laden Warrel Dane-esque vocals that somehow add to miserable and ritualistic vibe, but you just know that blastbeats and aggressive tremolo riffing will be there to wash it all away. And soon enough, they do just that. Truly, this dichotomy is what marks the album and distinguishes it from other death metal experiences this year.

However, it’s important to note that the former of these approaches is what really matters in the case of The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos. Simply put, the atmosphere is Thick with a capital “T.” The slow moments, which are especially prevalent in highlights such as “Yuggothian Spell” and “Thou Shalt Not Speak His Name - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos” are the sonic equivalent of wading through a vast, thick pool of mud while being pounded down by the continuous aggression of the punishing death metal riffage. And yet, somehow, this all still translates very well to the faster, more blastbeat-oriented moments that juxtapose those sections. The tempo and dynamic shifts aren’t nearly as jarring as you’d expect them to be, perhaps due to the excellent black metal-influenced production that anchors it. The unusual mixing job leads to a sound that’s both gritty and yet somehow beautifully esoteric; in any case, “vast” is probably the best word I can use to describe it.

The band members themselves are certainly up to the challenge of delivering this material too, with a palpable fusion of technicality and brutality that rivals any of today’s progressive death metal luminaries. The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos finds many of its best moments in the “little things” that are used to color and flesh out this sonic world. For instance, the intro to “Veneration of the Lunar Orb” wouldn’t be nearly as interesting without Daniel Dickmann’s flashy drum fills that plow through the main riff and give it some personality. Likewise, songs like “Sinister Sea Sabbath” and “The Summoning of Nyarlathotep” make extensive use of harmonies during their slower moments to provide just that extra touch of melancholy. Speaking of lead guitar, Torsten Horstmann and Andreas Koort do an excellent job of using their neoclassical influences to switch between despair in the slow sections and a sort of sinister Middle Eastern (that is to say, harmonic scale) element in the faster parts. “The Oneironaut/Haunting Visions Within the Starlit Chambers of Seven Gates” (what a title!) is especially notable for those Middle Eastern harmonies, particularly in the fantastic intro.

There is, unfortunately, a certain homogeneity that sets in after a while. If you aren’t listening too intently, things may start to blend together after the third track or so; it also doesn’t help that every song is in the same key as well (though I suppose Terminal Redux did that as well). As such, The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos gets a tad exhausting as it nears the end of its run. Still, if you give it a listen with the primary intent of exploring its intricacies, it’ll be easy to get lost in its phenomenal atmosphere and rock-solid songwriting. If you consider yourself a fan of progressive death metal or death/doom, don’t hesitate to pick this one up if you see it.

Christina Perri Songs for Carmella: Lullabies and Sing-a-longsBorn of Osiris The Simulation
Old Sea Brigade Ode To A FriendLily Chou-Chou Breathe
Venom Storm The GatesThe Chainsmokers Sick Boy

December 26th 2018

A bit of a shorter review, but I wanted to condense my writing a little this time around. This album is some damn good stuff

Digging: Adrianne Lenker - abysskiss

GhostB1rd
December 26th 2018

lmao how many times have you been demoted? I swore you were a contrib earlier this year.

I'm gonna copy/paste the comment I put on my Lucy Dacus review:

I asked to be taken off contributor so I could leave my account for a while and focus on my Navy stuff. It wasn't due to being banned or anything, so I'm still in good standing with the other contribs and staff (I'm even still on the Facebook page for the contribs) :] I have been thinking about reapplying again for contrib, but I only want to do it if I'm completely sure about it... I don't want to keep jerking their chain if I'm just going to ask to be taken off again, you know?

Hellscythe
December 26th 2018

gonna listen to this cause it has scythe in the title

AgentDeathbat
December 27th 2018

might give this a shot but since it might not be my thing I'll just not expect the usual

Digging: Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Jacquibim
December 27th 2018

Band has some of the best artworks in the genre. Album is gud too.

December 27th 2018

Yeah, the artwork is fucking phenomenal

Hawks
December 27th 2018

Still gotta jam this ahrd.

Digging: Jute Gyte - Verstiegenheit

It's a damn good one :]

Relinquished

solid stuff ye

WretchedCacophony
December 27th 2018

The melancholy/sullen clean vocal parts don't sound good to me. When it comes to this Lovecraftian theme Chthe'ilist and Obliteration did that eldritch cultist effect better. Everything else here is really good may have to check again.

Morbid Angel does the Lovecraft stuff in their first album (Lord of All Fevers and Plague) but their vocals sound insane ... Ia iak sakkakh iak sakkakth, Ia shaxul, Ia kingu ia cthulu ia azbul, Ia azabua !

trilogique21

clean vox rule

album rules

Flugmorph

20505 Comments

chad vox

Azog
December 27th 2018

Possibly the best thing coming from Germany since the invention of saurkraut.

Flugmorph

20505 Comments

thats a bit of a hyperbole dont you think?

December 27th 2018

lol yeah, that’s a bit much

necropig

yeet

Digging: Mo'ynoq - Dreaming in a Dead Language

EvoHavok
December 27th 2018

Hail Cthulhu. Nice to see this awesome album reviewed.

I'm gonna have to modify my Top 20 list again because of albums like this, lol

Ryus
December 27th 2018

yea i really wasnt a fan of the clean vox here. some of the heavier moments sounded nice though