The End of All Reason
Artifacts

by Kusangii USER (1 Reviews)
December 17th, 2018 | 10 replies

Review Summary: Apocalyptic

Belgium isn't particularly known for it's metal scene. Aside from a few acts, they're not exactly a country you associate technical death metal with. Maybe that's a big reason why The end of all Reason's brilliant debut album went by almost totally unnoticed.

Imagine witnessing the birth of all existence and living through it all, just to be around when everything falls. That is "Artifacts". Birth, existence, infinity, future, and death, all wrapped up in a wonderful concept album. The instrumental performance is of the highest caliber, while maintaining a very futuristic, spacey atmosphere. Guitars are always intact, producing a great flow to every song without ever sounding forced. Riffs are furious and technical as expected, with a dose of melody thrown in at the most suitable spots. Drums do a wonderful job backing up the guitar playing as well, creating intensity and giving breathing room when needed.

What's most impressive about Artifacts though is the high attention to detail. Whether it being riffs manifasting in wonderful ideas, clever usage of meassures, added keyboards, great cymbal work, or a rhythm being played in a certain
way, something creative is always expressed, making the songs sound very fresh and natural. Even though the sound on Artifacts certainly has its roots in modern technical death metal, one can't help but notice how much it also stays true to it's old death metal foundation. The members always have something up their sleeve, yet remaining sincere to its mood, which mainly can be seen in the 13 minute epic "Time Odyssey", where every single member gets to show the best sides of the album.

Overall we have a really engaging and epic journey to be found here. Few bands could create such a technical and intense record while remaining so geniune to its atmosphere. Therefore Artifacts is a real success and one of the most overlooked metal albums of this decade.

December 17th 2018

My first review. It probably comes across as cheesy and fanboyish, but I only decided to do this because of how overlooked the album is and hoping more people will check it out. Feedback is welcome.

brainmelter
December 17th 2018

nice dude, never even heard of this. will czech

Digging: nabosoposkle - s/t

December 17th 2018

Awesome man, it really feels like your cup of tea. Any criticism for the review?

December 17th 2018

I listened to this long ago because Par Olofsson did the cover art and I'm a fan of his work. Gonna have to revisit if those recommended albums are any indication.

Well, first review my man, it's not too bad. It's quite brief, but I think it sells the album well in its contents. A big thing is making sure everything is formatted correctly and combing through to identify grammatical/technical errors and the like. Basic stuff like capitalize the band name, put the album title in italics, etc.

If you read back through again, you'll pick up on a lot of this small stuff (ex. "wrappled" is not a word my guy). Some instances such as "... yet remaining compact to its mood" don't make sense--I don't think 'compact' is what you intended to put, and if you did then it's being misused.

Some more detail wouldn't hurt. Do some fine-tuning and it will read much better.

Digging: The Offering - Home

December 18th 2018

Thanks man, really appreciate the advice. I only plan to review a few obscure, overlooked albums like this in the future, so I won't be that serious/active with the reviews. Could you give an example of how I would describe it more in detail though?

And yeah you'd definitely dig this one

December 18th 2018

Maybe talk about specific songs, single out instances where things really click. If this is a concept record, perhaps delve into what constitutes the concept; what story is the album trying to tell? You dip into it briefly but there could be more to it. Stuff like that helps, I think.

December 18th 2018

Got it, will think about that next time : ) Seems like no one is interested in this album at all though lol

December 21st 2018

Didn't expect this to get much attention but seriously, is absolutely no one interested in this?

December 21st 2018

I got ya covered, if I like it I can hitch on a hype train ; )

I can always count on you brother < 3