Cryptopsy
The Book of Suffering - Tome II

by Mason Pearmain USER (44 Reviews)
December 11th, 2018 | 48 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While too brutal to be sweet, the phrase "short and sweet" describes this EP well.

Regardless of your view of everything Cryptopsy have done after it, there’s no denying that None So Vile is one of the most influential extreme albums in existence. Lord Worm’s vocals were only matched by the likes of Demilich’s Antti Boman in terms of their sheer brutality. Cryptopsy may never reach the heights of an album like that again, samey as it may be from an outsider’s perspective, such as my own. At one point in their career, namely the section in time that birthed The Unspoken King, a decent enough foray into deathcore, it seemed as if they didn’t want to make another None So Vile. Reception for their attempt at a deathcore release was mixed to negative as expected, so they wound up releasing 2012’s Cryptopsy, generally seen as their return to form. Since then, they’ve been working on a series of EP’s, all entitled The Book of Suffering, this one being the sophomore release in that series.

At a mere seventeen minutes, while clearly not on par with the likes of None So Vile when it comes to the writing quality, The Book of Suffering: Tome II is certainly easier to digest. It’s true that Cryptopsy obviously isn’t a band you go for in search of a dynamic sound, but for some listeners, that may prove to be a tiring endeavor after long enough. While it does lack in stylistic diversity, as was the case with the previous entry in this series, the band makes up for it in their sheer consistency. Closer “The Laws of the Flesh” opens up with a chunky bass line from none other than bassist Olivier Pinard, building to a menacing piece of technical death metal, while opener “The Wretched Living” comes in swinging with its frenetic pace, setting the tone for the rest of the material here. Matt McGachy does his best Lord Worm impression throughout the four tracks on here, which brings this far closer to the likes of Once Was Not than the likes of The Unspoken King. Of course, he’s no Worm, so McGachy’s performances may be seen as a cheap imitation, but for what it’s worth, he does well enough. Christian Donaldson’s guitar work is standard Cryptopsy fare; if you know the band already, this will feel very familiar to you.

At this point, I don’t think many expect Cryptopsy to truly top None So Vile, especially given how long it’s remained on top. Instead, they’re simply happy that the band is still producing music of some level of quality. Whatever the case may be, The Book of Suffering: Tome II is a solid entry within the discography of a band that’s been hard at work for roughly thirty years to date. It’s roughly on par with its predecessor in terms of quality and enjoyability; this makes for an easily digestible yet punishingly brutal experience, especially when compared to the band’s back catalog. It may not win over anyone who isn’t already sold on their established style, but the content within this Tome is as proficient as you can expect from a band that’s endured as many lineup changes and stylistic pitfalls as Cryptopsy has had over the years.

TRACK RATINGS:
1) The Wretched Living (4/5)
2) Sire of Sin (3.5/5)
3) Fear His Displeasure (3/5)
4) The Laws of the Flesh (4/5)
OVERALL ALBUM RATING: ~3.6/5

Papa Roach Who Do You Trust?Unearth Extinction(s)
The Last Ten Seconds of Life Machina Non GrataLithium Dawn Gravity Waves
Orbit Culture RedfogEscape the Fate Hate Me
Zach (3.5)
Goddamn electric....

December 11th 2018

I'm probably the last person you'd go to for an opinion on anything tech-death, but here's my take. Been sitting on this shit for an ungodly amount of time.

Digging: Deftones - Diamond Eyes

December 11th 2018

"The Unspoken King, a decent enough foray into deathcore"

I haven't read a more false statement in a while

December 11th 2018

@DSOL: It was better than a lot of actual deathcore. Compare it to say, The Cleansing, and there's far more going on with The Unspoken King.

Also, I actually dug the songs that the metalcore fan that 2.5 reviewed it hated so there's that.

Ninjahague
December 11th 2018

u best watch your mouth when speaking about dxc deathbat!

im serious!!!

Digging: i hate sex - World of Grief

hahaha

December 11th 2018

I dunno man, that album had me cringing throughout the entire thing but to each his own. I wish I could 0/5 that album.

December 11th 2018

Honestly, some of the earlier moments on that album could've made sense on even this Tome with a simple change in arrangement. ala Worship Your Demons, Silence Your Tyrants. Maybe even Contemplate Regicide. Obviously stuff like Bemoan the Martyr wouldn't have worked but yeah.

Dewinged
December 11th 2018

Good review Agent, you finally let it out. Pos!

Digging: Two People - First Body

December 11th 2018

Had to make sure my last review wasn't on the page before I dropped this. Should be working on another one by now, but I don't have much of a reason to rush again.

Darius the Great

19497 Comments

my pubes are itchy

cool

lmao darius

And yeah...nah dude, those songs aren't NEARLY intense enough to be on the Book of Suffering dude lol I mean they're metal but these EPs have been a whole different level than Unspoken King, even the early songs

BigPleb
December 12th 2018

The riffs and drums on this are just pure mayhem m/

surprisingly great ep

Digging: Japandroids - Celebration Rock

@DSOL: fair point haha

FearThyEvil
December 12th 2018

Pretty good stuff. Just wish they'd make a full album already

Hawks

Agreed.

Digging: Jute Gyte - Verstiegenheit

December 12th 2018

meh. if they keep putting out short and more easily digestible stuff like this I wouldn't complain. None So Vile was iconic and great but it kinda is tough to listen to for a newcomer like me.

December 12th 2018

inb4 "lol u have baby ears" nah i just wish it was more varied in pace and not just fast and brutal all the time lol. eventually I'll grow into that album but even then it'd have to be followed by something more varied for me

lol u have baby ears

Also yeah, they should release a full length. 4 songs every several years isn't exactly the most satisfying thing in the world for a fan, especially since their past 2 EPs have been fucking awesome and the best since Whisper and arguably None So Vile imo