Windrunner
MAI

by Winsomniac USER (23 Reviews)
December 10th, 2018 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Young upstarts carrying the torch with a unique flourish all their own

2018 has been a tumultuous year for heavy music, from drama and tragedy amongst the ranks of iconic metal groups to resurgent releases from acts thought played out. Throughout all of it, one realization seems inevitable. Like their predecessors before them, the vanguard of 00’s metalcore led by bands like Underoath, August Burns Red, and the like has aged; some groups more gracefully than others.

While the next generation of heavy is absolutely shaping up, we usually see little variation, and along predictable vectors. Established bands are opting to go heavier and more aggressive, or melodic and more palatable to a mainstream audience. Meanwhile, a strange little trend of oddball acts from unexpected regions of the world have been popping up, and in some cases, making a serious impression.

I’m willing to bet Windrunner is going to be one of latter. In many ways, their debut LP is more or less predictable. At a glance, MAI sounds just a notch above a tastefully placed intro song to an interesting anime. Asian-infused melodies and inoffensive production accompany above-average metalcore instrumentation and good but predictable lyrical themes. However, in a genre as mapped-out as modern metalcore seems to be, detail can distinguish a lot.

Windrunner’s approach to technical metalcore is certainly refreshing, if divisive. To be sure, the Asian-influenced elements in MAI are sure to incite a strong reaction, positive or negative. Rather than agonize over whether they are worse or better, Windrunner’s performance on their debut LP gives the impression of a band content to simply express itself. On that front they certainly do, and with astonishing panache. Songs like "Sakura" and "Oleander" might be a touch gimmicky, but feature clean instrumentation and a showcase a wealth of inspired songwriting that is surprisingly well-executed for a debut. If anything, the added piano playing occasional Asian string tones coupled with the female-fronted vocals make Windrunner a little overwhelming at times.

Overall, the album punches well above its weight class, with the eponymous title track having all the makings of a seriously infectious ‘core earworm. Female-led vocals in the metal community seem to either categorically impress or irreparably offend the ears of fans. This album certainly isn’t going to change that, but at its best, the clean singing found on MAI is absolutely a highlight, and one not often found elsewhere. Backed by more than capable instrumentation, the album represents a promising start to say the least.

Citizen As You PleaseEND (NJ) From the Unforgiving Arms of God
Tigers Jaw spinJon Benjamin Well I Should Have... (Learned How To Play Piano)
Aversions Crown XenocideTycho Epoch

December 10th 2018

Welp, I'm pretty rusty, so do me a favor and roast me with some constructive criticism.

This deserved a review and no one else did it yet, so this is all y'all get. Worth a listen!

Uzumaki
December 10th 2018

Nice to see someone else enjoyed this! For the past year or so, I’ve hit a bit of a saturation point for metalcore, so ive been trying to find metalcore that sounds fresh and different, and I stumbled across this album. While it’s not earth-shattering, it does tick enough boxes that I can enjoy it. Like you, I’ll be interested to hear whatever they do next.

Digging: The Prodigy - No Tourists

cvlts

does it junz?

December 10th 2018

I think you already know the answer to that, my dude ;)

December 12th 2018

Ever hear of that like post-hardcore band Nature Living?

December 12th 2018

I have not! I'll check them out when I get a chance though. Do they sound similar to this?

December 19th 2018

This band fuckin rules.

Digging: Gouge Away - Burnt Sugar

December 19th 2018

I dunno but they were from Japan and jumped on the north american post-hardcore/alternative punk train of the early millenium. Your review made me think of them...

I should listen to this!

December 20th 2018

Whoa! Rogue Balls comment!

They're definitely interesting. I'm more curious to see where they'll go from here, but the title track is real nice for sure.

December 21st 2018

Dope. I'll check it for sure.

December 21st 2018

I’ve always wanted to hear more female singing in metalcore, especially with the current sound, and this was a pleasant surprise. Sup Winn.

December 24th 2018

Yeah, the harsh vocals aren't the best I've ever heard, but the singing I liked a lot for the most part. Cool to see you liked it too.

I'm doin' well, happy holidays dude!