Cryptopsy
The Book of Suffering - Tome II

by Zach USER (97 Reviews)
December 8th, 2018 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Goddamn electric.

Book of Suffering- Tome II is a punishing continuation of it's Tome I comrade. It barrels in with the lowest of gutturals and gurgles and the highest of shrieks to harpoon you right in your ear canal. The guitarwork is a near incomprehensible flurry of notes marked by constant bends and dissonance, and the drumming is a hyper speed flash of lightning (seriously, Flo must be slammin red bulls left and right).

Really, there isn't a lot that can be said. It ticks all the marks of modern day tech-death Cryptopsy. Ugly" Check. Technical" Check. ***ing schizo vocals and drum patterns devised by what can only (logically) be a lab developed drum abhorrence most likely with a multitude of legs and arms" Of course. It's simple in it's vision and technical in execution, carving Cryptopsy just a bit deeper into their slightly niche brand whirlwind brutal dm.

King Dude Burning DaylightAllegaeon Apoptosis
Panopticon The Crescendo of DuskCan Bardd Nature Stays Silent
Nokturnal Funeral Lye x Love CutsSaor Forgotten Paths
Mason (3.5)
While too brutal to be sweet, the phrase "short and sweet" describes this EP well....

December 8th 2018

I swear my reviews keep getting shorter.

December 8th 2018

some will say it is a soundoff. i say it is cryptPOSy

yay for this perfectly okay albumee

also, use ?

Hawks

Nice.

Digging: Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg

December 8th 2018

i still think you've got something with the more informal approach to writing but, idk, this one lacks enough detail to let me, the reader, know much about the ep. you say that "... there isn't a lot that can be said," but, pardon me for sounding harsh, that's a bit of a cop-out. i have no idea what to expect from this record besides it being crazed, technical bdm. i still do think your voice is good and leads to some humorous descriptions (voice is a very, very important thing to develop so kudos :3) but i think there's a lot more you could have done with this

Digging: Black Dresses - Love and Affection for Stupid Little Bitches

@bloon

I did myself kinda question "is this brevity or just lacking?" and while I admit that there sincerely was not much more I could have said, it would've been worthwhilee to at least try to dissect things a bit further.

I do want to get back into this whole reviewing thing a bit more seriously after all.

December 8th 2018

not everyone can be Mort.

December 8th 2018

that's fair dede, sorry if i came off too harsh, i look forwards to see what you do with your reviews in the future :]

December 8th 2018

Oh stop worrying about my feelings you fucking dingus

Just check this ep it shreds

December 8th 2018

i havent heard either book of suffering but i have my doubts on their quality..............

December 8th 2018

I was waiting for BigPleb to review this so I could finally put my take on this album out and not worry about what Dewi would say, lol.

December 8th 2018

Whatever, I'll probably drop that in like a week.

@bloon

Stop being such a baby back BITCH they own

December 8th 2018

They don't compare to None So Vile in terms of how iconic they are, but they're still great. I personally find these Tomes easier to get through, but that's just me. They're both four tracks, and less than 20 minutes each, so I can spend that time on this and then return to something less aggressive.

December 8th 2018

I mean cryptopsy used to own

Nocte

They’re sorta coming back

It seems like people are wayyyy too hung up on None So Vile imo

yeah

honestly that album needs time to grow on me, currently I have that at a 4, it's clearly iconic and has its place but a lot of it feels just...the same.

Dewinged

Yep Agent, Dedes played us all lol

Digging: Cross Record - Cross Record

MotokoKusanagi

1997 Comments

i thought this was pretty good