Marsh Dweller
Wanderer

by former sputnik's home post-punk maester USER (118 Reviews)
December 8th, 2018 | 34 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not a lot to talk about, but a conversation worth starting anyway.

Picture an album that sounds like if Rammstein went full death metal or a thrash metal band slowed down and focused on major atmospheric black metal influences. Well, somewhere in that chaos is a perfect balance known as Marsh Dweller. It growls and it bursts; its melodies are straightforward, but oversaturated with a miscellany of instrumental explosions, reaching from noisy and brain-melting to heavy and epic; its production is a dense display of both distant lo-fi and an emphasis on vigorous sharpness of (especially) drums, which sound as crystal clear as it gets on a metal record; its runtime bipolar, with songs either turning up a journey-like length or just quickly smashing through your ears in just a few minutes. “Wanderer, Pt. I” goes on for 9 minutes, but so swiftly and energetically that you don’t even notice. On the other hand “Wanderer, Pt. II” takes its time, at first with some ambiance introduction, then doom metal inspired lead-in, and only then at 6th minute taking on some energy and presenting its true colours of despondency and atmosphere of (ehm) doom. While that song overwhelms with length, its successor “Coalesce” overwhelms with its rawness and gargantuan instrumentation. “Fall” resembles a similar effect of gut-punching beatdown style-fusing metal; but it wouldn’t have been Marsh Dweller, if the song didn’t also contain a severe slow down and ambient outro. “Wanderer, Pt. III” repeats the magic of “Pt. II” and nudges the doomy slowness further, this time for almost the entirety of the song, until the emotionally charged finale that escalates into one of album’s most vivid moments. Of course the ending of the album goes hand-in-hand with the album’s already perpetuated motif of ambient, calm interludes and outros, “Wanderer, Pt. IV” is pretty much an atmospheric tow. And so concludes a chaotic clash of all sorts of metals, from black to death to blackened death with doomy black and black death doom black doomdeath bloom doth bleam whatever, it just fuses a myriad of styles and subgenres and sprinkles it all with spices of atmospheric interludes. Yummy.

De Staat Bubble GumAuthor and Punisher Beastland
Artificial Pleasure The Bitter EndCloud Nothings Last Building Burning
Kali Uchis IsolationSpectral Wound Infernal Decadence

19232 Comments

Currently number 49 on my AOTY list.

Digging: Two People - First Body

"Album Rating: 4.5

Currently number 49 on my AOTY list."

jfc how are you able to listen to so much new music

19232 Comments

I do it almost every day and I am slowly going deaf. Life is boring without music.

agreed on the 2nd

i must say im highly envious. rarely get both the time and the headspace to try out albums ive not heard before

December 8th 2018

I was gonna review this but now I don’t have to. Nice review bro, amazing album. m/

Digging: Jute Gyte - Verstiegenheit

teamster
December 8th 2018

I literally just listened to this this morning. Roots are in post metal. Thanks UU for the review.

Digging: Nauticus - Disappear in Blue

December 8th 2018

Dude lives in Pittsburgh too. Cool to find an awesome band so close to home.

teamster
December 8th 2018

Cool Hawks. Gonna spin this again real soon. Right now I’m listening to The Ever Living. Try it Hawks.

December 8th 2018

That looks interesting, about to look them up. m/

19232 Comments

post-metal, there we go. forgot about that completely, probably because I don't listen to it a lot, so I'm not that familiar.

December 8th 2018

listen to post metal its the best genre

19232 Comments

I always found it to be somewhat a drag. I need that extra beating energy of black/death metal to spice it up, otherwise I tend to get bored (keep in mind I pretty much hate Kayo Dot, Amenra, Godflesh and Isis)

How do you hate Isis????

December 8th 2018

yea we cant be friends anymore im sorry

it's boring

Wow.

yeah

December 8th 2018

Liked the last album. Will check

Digging: Japandroids - Celebration Rock

brainmelter

v nice papa
I also second that most post metal is boring

Digging: Masta Ace - Slaughtahouse

19232 Comments

is it nice because I mentioned your name in there?