Transcend All Negative Energy
Transcend All Negative Energy

good

by Divaman USER (152 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2018 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Psychedelic-tinged alternative rock from Southern California.

Transcend All Negative Energy is a 3-piece band from Lake Forest, California. According to their bio, they started out in 2014 as a garage rock band with metal and funk influences. Nowadays, they describe themselves as more about psychedelic rock, with influences that include Radiohead, Tame Impala, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and Phantogram, among others. On this, their debut LP, I'd describe their sound as more alt. rock with a dash of psychedelic.

Transcend All Negative Energy has a pleasant overall vibe to it -- the music is a little dreamy. I notice that on this LP, as well as on their 2017 EP Chiaroscuro, the album art contains a lot of purple, and this seems appropriate -- the music somehow sounds purple. (And in fact, the second song on the album, which is one of the best, is entitled "Purple Smoke"). There are a lot of keyboards and/or synthesizers, the drums are occasionally electronic (and there seems to be an occasional use of drum machines), and the pace is usually slow- to mid-tempo. There are also a few short instrumental tracks to help keep the laid-back mood going. Even though it's not as pop oriented as a lot of his music, I think it's the kind of thing that would make Syd Barrett smile if he was alive today.

My favorite tracks, in addition to "Purple Smoke", are "Chill Society" which features a chunky, circular underlying synth pattern (and seems lyrically obsessed with calling the cops), and "Suicidal Saturday", the album's opening number, which seems a little dark for a band with a name like Transcend All Negative Energy. But then again, I guess there has to be some negative energy there in the first place in order for you to transcend it. So I guess the song fits after all.

Overall, I liked this album, enough so that I'll definitely go back an check out some of this band's earlier work. Transcend All Negative Energy gave me a clear sense that these guys are really in it for the love of the music. I look forward to their next project.

The Buggles Adventures in Modern RecordingMannheim Steamroller Christmas
William Shatner Shatner ClausRobyn Honey
The Good Rats Play DumProcol Harum Procol's Ninth

December 2nd 2018

One of the members of this band is a fellow Sput-member deadcrown. So if you like alternative or psychedelic rock, I'd encourage you to give them a listen.

Digging: John Whelan - Celtic Fire

Sinternet
December 2nd 2018

"Psychedelic-tinged alternative rock from Southern California."

a never before seen combo

Digging: Illenium - Awake

Papa Universe

19232 Comments

"Psychedelic-tinged alternative rock from Southern California."
Tijuana that is? explains a lot

Digging: Two People - First Body

guitarded_chuck

is that a space dick

neekafat
December 2nd 2018

I remember really liking their last EP so I might have to give this a whirl!

hal1ax

yo that's a dick

Storm In A Teacup
December 2nd 2018

I, storm in a teacup, also arrived to this thread with the only intention of pointing out that there is an astral dick on that cover. No one is fooled!

AgentDeathbat
December 2nd 2018

how did i not catch that on first glimpse

Digging: Deftones - Diamond Eyes

I see a puppy.

Dewinged
December 2nd 2018

Grats on the feature Diva, well deserved. I listened to some tracks off this and I liked it, gotta jam the whole thing yet.

Digging: Two People - First Body

Beardog

meh

AnimalsAsSummit

transcend all negative ratings

BenThatsMyJamin
December 3rd 2018

What a shite band name lol

theNateman
December 3rd 2018

Worst case scenario they shorten it to TANE. Which is wierd but not awful. I like the name, though. Gonna check this out. I love all 4 of the influences named.

butcherboy
December 3rd 2018

band name is what brokedown millenials mutter in the shower as the real world pummels them into fine pulp..

Digging: Julius Eastman - Unjust Malaise

deadcrown
December 4th 2018

yo thanks for taking the time to write the review, man. the artwork is actually aurora beaurialis (shout out to steamed hams meme) with some crappy filter. The "Is that a space dick?" comment made me lol

December 4th 2018

You're welcome. Glad if it helped encourage more people to give it a listen.

Beardog
December 5th 2018

It's honestly still worth the listen. The 2.0 is quite harsh but I honestly think this is pretty good for a sput-project