Chapel of Disease
...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced

by Xenophanes STAFF
November 29th, 2018 | 132 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Don’t let the hotel-art album cover fool you, this might be the most electrifying death metal outing this year.

German death metal band Chapel of Disease are purveyors of the “hidden gem.” Like 2015’s The Mysterious Ways if Repetitive Art, the band’s latest, ...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced is a quiet highlight in its respective year. Unlike the former, however, the latter deviates from the standard plug and chug format of modern death metal. Death growls and killer riffs are present, but Chapel of Disease have filled ...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced with an undeniable lightness. “Proggy” passages churn and roil with lush melodies and uplifting solos. “Void of Words,” for example, fills its last four minutes with an almost Wish You Were Here style of meandering psychedelic guitar. In many ways, the Asphyx inclinations of their prior albums are almost jarring here. The bright tones clash with the cavernous death/doom of the vocals and occasional bouts of angry riffs. Now, for every instance of their 2015 track “Masquerade in Red,” Chapel of Disease provide an equal amount of Kvelertak’s “1985.”

Make no mistake, this isn’t “death n’ roll.” Instead, Chapel of Disease bring a sense of fun and liveliness to their solid death metal constant. Coupled with enough technical bravado to stay competitive, ...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced is a complete package. This is death metal for those who don’t like death metal—a crossover hit in the making.

Sigh Heir to DespairURSA Abyss Between the Stars
Cult Leader A Patient ManDaughters You Won't Get What You Want
Coheed and Cambria The Unheavenly CreaturesSUMAC Love In Shadow

November 28th 2018

Fuck yessssss, one of my fav albums of the year for sure. m/

Digging: Azelisassath - In Total Contempt of All Life

TheSpirit

killer album

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Midian

Dewinged
November 28th 2018

Oh man, this sounds amazing.

Digging: Kaelan Mikla - Not Eftir Not

madcowdisease
November 28th 2018

The way this is described sounds wicked.

Also you refer to the band as "Chapel of Death" a couple times.

Digging: Chapel of Disease - ...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced

Beardog
November 29th 2018

Needed a review. It's a cool record but the clash of heavy DM vocals feels kinda wierd with the hard rock riffs from time to time

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

Demon of the Fall
November 29th 2018

Will check, sounds interesting.

Digging: Skee Mask - Compro

November 29th 2018

was pretty cool and had some really good moments, but ultimately it dragged on a little bit too much over the course of the album imo.

Digging: Marxthrone - A Blaze In The Western Sky

Damn. :[

November 29th 2018

yeah it just felt a little bit too samey which isn't exactly what I'm looking for in a "proggy" album. was hoping for a little bit more off-kliterisms on this.

November 29th 2018

Hmmmm idk I don’t get the samey vibe from this at all. I thought it was a pretty fresh take on proggy dm.

November 29th 2018

I might have to give it a go again, but thought it sounded a little to predictable for what I perceived it was going for.

November 29th 2018

Seems like we’re on completely different ends of the spectrum here lol.

November 29th 2018

hahaha yeah, seems that way. might just be that I've heard so much new stuff now over these past few days that I've become a lot more judgmental and it takes a lot more to bedazzle.

MotokoKusanagi
November 29th 2018

feel like i'm really going to dig this

hansoloshotfirst

yep, this rules.

Digging: Solstice (UK) - White Horse Hill

Hopelust
November 29th 2018

I'd put that album up on my wall.

Wildhoney
November 29th 2018

Thanks for the rec hawks, glad this got a good review. Sounded excellent on first listen, gonna give it a few more spins

MarsKid
November 29th 2018

All these bands trying to throw wrenches in AoTY list. Never stop listening until the 1st of January dudes.

Will jam eventually, hopefully. Time is a hard commodity to keep.

Digging: Noise Trail Immersion - Symbology of Shelter

WatchItExplode
November 29th 2018

I really enjoyed some of the clean guitar leads here but nothing I'd return to.

ButtBoy
November 29th 2018

checked the first two songs. not really sure what you guys are loving about this, it's different but not all that interesting :/