Architects
Holy Hell

good

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (264 Reviews)
November 12th, 2018 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Architects push past death and fall somewhere short.

There seems to be a decent debate on whether music from deceased artists is better than it actually is. The simple answer is no, but the emotional connection creates all the context one needs to fully relate to something in an unexpected way. It’s like your favourite pair of undies; they may have a couple of sneaky holes here and there, the seams may be getting stretched (I blame the burgers, not the wine) but god help the missus if she throws them out.

In many ways Holy Hell fits the descriptions as well as my underwear used to fit my waistline. The only thing is… I wash the skid marks out when I shit myself.

But let’s get the easy shit out of the way. Holy Hell could be better, and it could be worse. The early singles felt comfortable, tight and well practiced. I’ll easily admit the “Royal Beggars” and “Hereafter” left me with great hopes for the direction of Architects’ music even without the great Tom Searle’s constant musical supervision. Well, the undies felt fresh… but there’s something not quite right.

As much as I’d like to give a Tom-free Architects a free pass because their main songwriter passed, I just can’t dispose of the simple fact that forty three minutes of recycled ideas, tired lyricism and a memory of a comrade fallen is being passed off as better than good music. Yes there’s merit to be given to a band that has pushed past what’s honestly a bad situation, given the fact that All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us was all but two years ago, it’s a wonder there’s any new music at all.

What was once a flurry of fresh sounds quickly turned stale and repetitive. Architects tendency to resort to the breakdown runs parallel to the band’s overuse of tired lyricism. As emotionally charged as this album is for the band and fans there’s this absent, third party to be found throughout the album’s length that is purely dissatisfying, cathartic and doesn’t relate as well as it should. Sam Carter’s vocal efforts are both satisfying well placed and poised to take the full advantage of the now gone Tom. At times, the listener becomes fully invested, hearing both the personal response to a brother passed and the wider socio discussion of Architects’ music (see: “Modern Misery” and “Doomsday”).

It’s clear that Architects want to move on with Tom’s best wishes in mind… but they’re not completely sure on how to improve on the recycled formula they’ve been using for the best part of a decade, relying fully on the stereotypes of a dying genre. Architects aren’t ready to put on a new set, they want the well-worn pair… holes and all.

Rosetta Sower of WindGhastly (FIN) Death Velour
Gorod AethraMoonshade Sun Dethroned
All That Remains Victim of the New DiseaseArsis Visitant
Simon CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Yup, they still sound like Architects....

Channing Freeman STAFF (3.5)
darkness, oh hell...

Mason Pearmain (4)
A slight step back from previous works, but still noteworthy in its own right....

AfterTheSensesEscape (2)
Complacent, boring, and insanity incarnate...

November 12th 2018

I’m sure this needed yet another review...

Mort.
November 12th 2018

'As much as I’d like to give a Tom-free Architects a free pass because their main songwriter passed, I just can’t dispose of the simple fact that forty three minutes of recycled ideas, tired lyricism and a memory of a comrade fallen is being passed off as better than good music. '

band has been getting a free ride as a good metalcore act for too long now

honestly the last 3 albums just blend into eachother, stylistically theyre all extremely similar. i mean, at least from nightmares to ruin then hollow crown you had a shit ton of evolution.

Digging: Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Beardog
November 12th 2018

yeah this record is just too similar to AOGHAU, I really liked Doomsday but the other songs were basically the same or didn't do that much. Record is just samey and stale

tyman128
November 12th 2018

"I'm sure this needed yet another review..."
yeah it did, I think it needs one more still, I don't know
anyway, still need to jam this, it's just been sitting on my phone downloaded for the past few days

Digging: Mark Deutrom - The Blue Bird

November 12th 2018

I want to see one of those fanboy 5 reviews to see if they reasoned well enough for it to justify that rating.

Digging: Deftones - Diamond Eyes

True

Spec

; ]

: ]

November 12th 2018

@Spec: You gon review this?

Gawd I hope so

Dewinged
November 13th 2018

This is exactly how I feel about this album. Loved the underwear comparison too lol.

Digging: Two People - First Body

November 13th 2018

This is like if AOG had double the choruses and less technicality.

Lucman
November 13th 2018

I'm feeling like lowering the score a notch on this one. Just ain't sticking with me.

Digging: The Horrible Crowes - Elsie

I'd have to drop it to #47 on my top 50 of the year if I dropped it to 3.5, lol

Lucman
November 13th 2018

Nothing wrong with a bit of year-end trimming I say.

Makes sense haha.